[REMOVE ADS]

Looking for a Copy of "This is the Story"

I never bought a copy of the first volume of the 70s Supremes output. I thought about it, but the reviews of the unreleased tracks on Amazon were kind of ho-hum, and of course I had all the other albums. [[This is why I always urge you guys to post your reviews on Amazon, not just here, as this was before I knew about the SDF so had nothing to compare the lukewarm reviews to.) Anyway, to spend the $70 or so for a handful of unreleased tracks didn't seem worth it at the time.

But of course, now I have to have it. So if any of you collectors have a spare set, perhaps you might sell it to me. I'll pay well for a nice copy if anyone has one to spare!

Thanks!
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.

I bought a total of 6 copies when it came out. 5 of them are still in shrinkwrap. If you want one, e-mail me at jsr2167@aol.com.

Thank you Johnny Raven! My search has ended already! I really appreciate it.

Anytime, Kenneth! It's a fantastic set!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I bought a total of 6 copies when it came out. 5 of them are still in shrinkwrap. If you want one, e-mail me at jsr2167@aol.com.
    John - you're worse than me. I bought one extra! LOL

This is an example of what is BEST about SDF: fans supporting fellow fans! Three cheers for Johnny Raven!!!!

Hey, it is all about the music. Some people here say that, but don't mean it ... I mean it!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Hey, it is all about the music. Some people here say that, but don't mean it ... I mean it!
    Take my word for it, guys. He really means it!

Mr. Raven, what an incredible thing to do, one, purchasing the extra copies which shows the powers that be, that a pressing of 7,500 is not fully sericing the market, and two, being willing to help out a fellow devotee.

Yes, but I wanted to charge $1000 ...

smark21 Guest
    Do you still have the necklaces that went with the sets?

I never received any necklaces. From what I understand, a lot of people weren't sent the necklaces.

Hey who cares about necklaces, it's the music that counts, right?

I wanted a necklace. Now I will never be an official Supreme I wonder if Shantel has one?

Thank you, Johnny!

Just want to make a big shout out to my bro Johnny Raven who sold me a copy of this fantastic set...and which I received yesterday, less than a week after I put forth this request.

What a guy...he even included some other supreme items like a couple of Susaye Greene's solo CDs which I hadn't even known about before. Susaye sang lead [[or put her unmistakable vocal stamp) on my two favorite post-Diane songs, "High Energy" and "Come Into My Life."

"Johnny Raven, I believe I love you!"

Yes Carlo.........you CAN become an 'official Supreme' with the order of the Chantel Baker Supremes Box Set. With every order comes this breathtaking necklace designed by Chantel, herself! Your friends gonna be jealous!

That is truly hideous!

Thanks blueskies! That necklace will definitely make me stand out. Maybe it will help me find a mate?

Susaye has some wonderful cd's out there. It's nice to support these ladies and also be a beneficiary of such wonderful music. I always thought that if the Supremes had continued on, perhaps Scherrie & Susaye and, possibly, Mary, might have written and produced their own music. Partners showed such diverse musical styles and I love that LP. It would have been a very interesting direction for the group to have gone.

I have to listen to "Partners" again. It didn't impress me that much way back when, it might have seemed too MOR, but my tastes over time have changed [[hopefully evolved) a good deal.

It would be a great pairing with the Mary Wilson solo LP, with some additional tracks thrown in for good measure.

Someone broke into my house this weekend and stole many items from my house. They also stole many dvds and Cds. Most can be easily replaced in time except for my beautiful copy of The Supremes "This is the Story". I had it on top of the stereo because It was the last cd that I played. Does anyone know if there is a place where I can buy a copy at an reasonable price. I would be forever grateful.

Hopefully our good friend Johnny Raven is still around here and still has some.

All I could offer is to burn you a new set which I'd be happy to do if you cant find one.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Hopefully our good friend Johnny Raven is still around here and still has some.

All I could offer is to burn you a new set which I'd be happy to do if you cant find one.
    Thank you so much. I will let you know if I can't find a copy. I really do love the whole package. I have double copies of many of the Hippo Select expanded editions of Diana Ross and The Supremes that I keep stored in my bed room closet. These were not taken. I only had one copy of "This is the Story". It always happens this way.

vgalindo; have you checked CD exchange stores in your area? Or Craigslist? Or eBay?

I've read many stories where individuals are able to caputre crooks by doing a little of their own investigating.

And I'm sorry to hear of your loss. If I come across anything, I'll post.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    vgalindo; have you checked CD exchange stores in your area? Or Craigslist? Or eBay?

I've read many stories where individuals are able to caputre crooks by doing a little of their own investigating.

And I'm sorry to hear of your loss. If I come across anything, I'll post.
    I will do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

marybrewster, you are spot on in recommending that vgalindo check out local sites to hopefully track down the stolen CD's. I had 1,200 CD's stolen about 10 years ago. The thieves even came back for the ones they didn't get the first time, two weeks later. Fortunately, I had home insurance, and my insurer actually gave me credit for the total of missing titles. Of course it helped that I had a complete list and photos of drawers pulled open to show my collection.

Long story short, I discovered that a local flea market vendor had purchased the bulk of my soul CD's and I recognized the titles and was able to claw back about 475 hard to get titles there I was told by "people in the know" that my jazz titles were most likely sent out of the city as they were so unusual that identification would be very easy.

Due to my very large claim, my insurance policy now limits the coverage to 150 titles. I have smartened up and have installed a "lock up" area in a closet. All my Hip-o Select sets reside there. But with the great decline in used CD shops due to nobody buying them anymore, I find that there is very little likelihood of having them stolen again.

Best of luck in finding your stolen property!

This is quite frightening that This is the Story can be purchased for this price, but I found this on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/This-Is-The-St...C+the+supremes

It's only a download........but $1.29!!!!

it's $1.29 for a 'single' download of that SONG, not the entire thing..

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    marybrewster, you are spot on in recommending that vgalindo check out local sites to hopefully track down the stolen CD's. I had 1,200 CD's stolen about 10 years ago. The thieves even came back for the ones they didn't get the first time, two weeks later. Fortunately, I had home insurance, and my insurer actually gave me credit for the total of missing titles. Of course it helped that I had a complete list and photos of drawers pulled open to show my collection.

Long story short, I discovered that a local flea market vendor had purchased the bulk of my soul CD's and I recognized the titles and was able to claw back about 475 hard to get titles there I was told by "people in the know" that my jazz titles were most likely sent out of the city as they were so unusual that identification would be very easy.

Due to my very large claim, my insurance policy now limits the coverage to 150 titles. I have smartened up and have installed a "lock up" area in a closet. All my Hip-o Select sets reside there. But with the great decline in used CD shops due to nobody buying them anymore, I find that there is very little likelihood of having them stolen again.

Best of luck in finding your stolen property!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    it's $1.29 for a 'single' download of that SONG, not the entire thing..
    Ah! Makes more sense. At least one of us can read; Good Man!