[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Museum in Detroit

Hey friends - just curious as to how many of you have visited the Motown Museum [[2648 West Broad Street) in Detroit? I have been numerous times and always enjoy it immensely. There is something that is absolutely magical about that place as far as I am concerned. I was there again on Friday [[February 24), and I must say that the tour guide was the best I have ever had. He was a fairly young guy named Antonio, and he definetly knew his stuff. I told him how well he did as a guide and how impressed I was with his knowledge of Motown, and the fellow told me he lives and breathes Motown. I was so impressed. He was also a really good singer as he broke out in several classic Motown selections throughout the tour.

If you have not been to the museum and ever get a chance, I highly recommend it. The entire tour is only about 30 to 45 minutes long, but what a wonderful 30 to 45 minutes it is!

I have to agree with you about the quality of the guides at the Motown Museum. Even though I worked there for several years, I'm always impressed with the accuracy of their presentations.

I had the pleasure of visiting the Motown Museum in 1986, 1996, 1997, and 1998.

honest man Guest
    I loved it was touched by the video on entrance especially the M arvin clip.an experience i will treasure forever.also went to a bar in Greektown ,think that was it,Detroits elite were there Jackie Wilson's daughter sang ,and three women were just The Supremes, i loved the Detroit experience,then moved onto Wasington DC, and New York loved every second will have to try again, someday,cheers.

I went for the first time in August 2011. I plan to go back again. Every Motown fan needs to go. You will love it.

don't like to boast but i've been to hitsville 3 times ,the second time i had a tour with martha reeves ,also been to chess and the best of them all stax down in memphis .

I was there [[working hehehehe) before it opened up in the mid-80's. I have been back several times over the years since. I also visited the huge Motown Exhibit that was at the Henry Ford Museum at Greenfield Village back in 1995 while the Motown Museum was closed for renovations. There is a video tape of me somewhere being taught the Temptations moves! LOL! Great memories. Thankfully it not only survived but has thrived over the years. I remember when this crook broke in and stole Michael Jackson's glove he wore on "Motown 25".

When I stood inside of Hitsville what amazed me the most was thinking about all of the great stars & music that came out of that tiny studio.

Small studio...TREMENDOUS MUSIC!!!

Everymusic fan should visit at least once & the young man who does the tour is very entertaining & he belies his young age, as he describes events as though he were there when they occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by irv milne View Post
    don't like to boast but i've been to hitsville 3 times ,the second time i had a tour with martha reeves ,also been to chess and the best of them all stax down in memphis .
    the original stax building was torn down. i know, i've stood on its rubble. the new museum is not the original studio. motown is the real deal!

I visited the museum many years ago with Martha Reeves. Ms. Edwards was there and it was her son Butch who
    acted as tour guide.

Went in 1995 and loved it. They told us that there was a Motown exhibition on at the Henry Ford Museum so we went there as well. Magic. Would like to go to Hitsville again one day!

I was lucky enough to visit 15 years ago and be taken round by Martha reeves

went about 3yrs ago with a load of northern soul fans from the U.K.,whilst we were on a soul convention in CHICAGO ....we also picked up MEL BRITT [[ he sang "she"ll come running back" massive northern soul record check it out on you tube) on a motorway service station and took him to studios as well ....got to say THE BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE ...the hairs on my neck and arms still stick up when i think about that day..afterwards in a bar in DETROIT NORTHERN SOUL and TAMLA music being played ,with guests LITTLE CARL CARLTON..THE CAPITOLS...MARTHA REEVES...MIRACLES..what a day........

Quote Originally Posted by staceys dad View Post
    went about 3yrs ago with a load of northern soul fans from the U.K.,whilst we were on a soul convention in CHICAGO ....we also picked up MEL BRITT [[ he sang "she"ll come running back" massive northern soul record check it out on you tube) on a motorway service station and took him to studios as well ....got to say THE BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE ...the hairs on my neck and arms still stick up when i think about that day..afterwards in a bar in DETROIT NORTHERN SOUL and TAMLA music being played ,with guests LITTLE CARL CARLTON..THE CAPITOLS...MARTHA REEVES...MIRACLES..what a day........
    yeah i was there that day as well also dennis coffey was at hitsville giving a talk about his time at motown ,as you say best moment of our lives .

A visit is in my future plans.

Made my pilgrimage back in Sept. 2011 [[there's a thread with pics in the archives). I should have gone there much sooner. A truly memorable experience. To walk through Studio A was just amazing and now I finally understand why and how the band snuck over and hid at the funeral parlor.

I grew up in Michigan, and yet I've never visited. It's been on my list for several years. I'm going to try and visit the Motown Museum this spring; that, and the Stax and Muscle Shoals museums are on my must-see list!

...apologies for those who have seen this before ...here's a pictorial record of our 2006 visit to Hitsville ...when I turned 50

http://faac.us/adf/messages/16041/12...tml?1161009853

I remember those great pics, Grapevine! Enjoyed seeing them again. I first toured the museum when it first opened. I went early and was the only one on the tour. A very nice gentleman gave me the tour. He told me his name, but, it didn't register at the time. He took me in to see Esther Gordy and we had a nice chat and she gave me some pics. She told me I was honored to have this gentleman for a tour guide and he was currently appearing in a show at the Fox Theater that week. Come to find out my tour guide was Beans Bowles! Yes, it was an honor!

I traveled to Detroit with my husband. Of course I went to the Motown Museum. I got yelled at for parking at the mortuary next door but that didn't detract me. I loved the museum. The guide was a nice young man and he knew so much history. When I walked into Studio A I got goose bumps. I could feel all those wonderful people who made that music that I love so much. Then I went to the gift shop upstairs. It was cute and I bought some things to remember my trip. The lady there was sweet and I gave her some AVON samples. She never ordered from me but that is okay.

Penny

Never been to the museum but toured Hitsville back in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Hey friends - just curious as to how many of you have visited the Motown Museum [[2648 West Broad Street) in Detroit? I have been numerous times and always enjoy it immensely. There is something that is absolutely magical about that place as far as I am concerned. I was there again on Friday [[February 24), and I must say that the tour guide was the best I have ever had. He was a fairly young guy named Antonio, and he definetly knew his stuff. I told him how well he did as a guide and how impressed I was with his knowledge of Motown, and the fellow told me he lives and breathes Motown. I was so impressed. He was also a really good singer as he broke out in several classic Motown selections throughout the tour.

If you have not been to the museum and ever get a chance, I highly recommend it. The entire tour is only about 30 to 45 minutes long, but what a wonderful 30 to 45 minutes it is!
    I'm not a religious person but when I visited the place I finally understood what people who go to church can feel. It was an AMAZING experience. The history within those walls is electric and magnetic - so much so that I really didn't want to leave! Sadly, I didn't get a very good guide. I asked him if he knew whether Jean Terrell had recorded songs here and he looked at me with a blank expression then just said 'er... yes'. I didn't bother to ask which tracks they were as I doubt he even knew who Jean was and the contribution she made to the Motown sound. Since visiting I've ordered more t-shirts, caps and sweats. VERY good quality. Oh, and a bit of trivia - when I was there the late Esther Gordy-Edwards arrived! It was nice to see some of the J5's outfits including the suit Michael wore when he sang 'I Wanna Be Where You Are' on TV. I think it was a Dick Clark special? It's on good 'ol YouTube anyway. I met Michael in the early 70's. He and his brothers + Janet were very sweet with impeccable manner - probably because Dad Joe was also on the UK tour to keep them all in check. I've made a short video about when I met the Jacksons - well, many of them. It's on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvJm9jdlkU enjoy! S.x

Ivy,
    Yes, Jean Terrell did record at Studio A. When she first came to Detroit, I picked her up at her hotel to bring her to Motown.

Are there any recollections with Jean from that drive that you can recall? How about when? Would it be sometime in the summer of 1969?

Why would it not surprise me if you asked her for a date!!!! [[Sorry I couldn't resist that!)

She was absolutely charming, John, but extremely quiet and shy. No I didn't ask her for a date. The year you mention sounds about right, but I can't say for sure. The truth be known, I was a little awed with her. I mean this was going to be a new Supreme.

John,
    When I think about it, the year might have been early 1970. I had recently bought a Volkswagon Bug, and that is the car I picked her up in. Not much of a limo, I suppose.

Didn't Diana, Mary & Cindy do their "fairwell" performance in Vegas in Jan. 1970?

How did you know Jean was going to the new Supreme? Did she tell you that or did you know before you picked her up?

If you think I've been watching too much Judge Judy, you might be right!!!!

John,
    Harry Balk told me she was going to be Diana's replacement before I picked her up.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Ivy,
    Yes, Jean Terrell did record at Studio A. When she first came to Detroit, I picked her up at her hotel to bring her to Motown.
    Ralph, that is amazing! I was just thinking that Jean would have been the last member of the Supremes to record there, among other folks.

Marv,
    I'm sorry I don't know what she recorded at Studio A.

Quote Originally Posted by irv milne View Post
    yeah i was there that day as well also dennis coffey was at hitsville giving a talk about his time at motown ,as you say best moment of our lives .
    did you go with kev roberts from the uk ...or are you from the states....and what a DAY....

yep from scotland ,a great day and a great week.

i'll try a post the photos later.

Thanks for the link Grape, much appreciated. Your post was almost six years ago... sad to see how many faithfull and loyal posters have disappeared from this forum since then.
    I'm not sure I will ever make it to Detroit, so these pics are really good to see.