[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 2012 Grammys

It's on right now, and L.L. CoolJ is the host tonight. He's doing a fantastic job, and the show opened right up with a prayer for Whitney Houston.

Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band did a fine performance of his new song "We Take Care Of Our Own", and Bruno Mars once again did a flashy performance and did some James Brown moves. Once again, he proves he's the real deal.

I am in the mountain standard time zone, so you guys on the east coast got it before I did. But this is a fine show!

A tribute to Etta James is on right now.

Jennifer Hudson just nailed it on the Whitney Houston tribute! Had my toes curling and everything. May she carry on the torch!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It's on right now, and L.L. CoolJ is the host tonight. He's doing a fantastic job, and the show opened right up with a prayer for Whitney Houston.

Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band did a fine performance of his new song "We Take Care Of Our Own", and Bruno Mars once again did a flashy performance and did some James Brown moves. Once again, he proves he's the real deal.

I am in the mountain standard time zone, so you guys on the east coast got it before I did. But this is a fine show!

A tribute to Etta James is on right now.
    I live in LL Cool J's hometown here on Long Island and folks were mentioning he was hosting around town. Everyone is very proud of him.

I feel out of it, but really who is this Bruno Mars? Has he been around for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Jennifer Hudson just nailed it on the Whitney Houston tribute! Had my toes curling and everything. May she carry on the torch!
    Yes she sure did, but when they showed that brief little clip of Whitney in the red dress singing "Saving All My Love For You", I got chills. I became really sad because I remember the night she performed that on the Grammys. I even have it on tape. It just doesn't seem right that she is gone. There is some big lesson behind this terrible tragedy that I haven't time yet to understand totally.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I live in LL Cool J's hometown here on Long Island and folks were mentioning he was hosting around town. Everyone is very proud of him.

I feel out of it, but really who is this Bruno Mars? Has he been around for a while?
    He broke out on the scene a couple of years ago. He is known as being a Michael Jackson impersonator. In fact, when his second hit "Grenade" hit the airwaves, I thought it was a posthumous MJ release.

He is multi-talented as a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, record producer, and singer, and he is good! Google up his name or check his work out on MOG, iTunes, or something. He is the real deal, and I look forward to his next album. Admittedly, his music is contemporary pop, so you may not care for it. he's studied the greats and can dance like James Brown. His performance on this and last year's Grammys is more like what I think he should record.

He broke out on the scene a couple of years ago. He is known as being a Michael Jackson impersonator. In fact, when his second hit "Grenade" hit the airwaves, I thought it was a posthumous MJ release.

He is multi-talented as a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, record producer, and singer, and he is good! Google up his name or check his work out on MOG, iTunes, or something. He is the real deal, and I look forward to his next album. Admittedly, his music is contemporary pop, so you may not care for it. he's studied the greats and can dance like James Brown. His performance on this and last year's Grammys is more like what I think he should record.
    Wow, I was really underestimating this guy then. I thought he was just faking the funk. You know all image , no substance. Thanks Soulster.

What really hit me is the reminder of the staggering number of music people we lost last year.

What really hit me is the reminder of the staggering number of music people we lost last year.
    I was surprised too. I was surprised to learn that Lynn Anderson had passed away. I enjoyed the Beach Boys and Glen Campbell's performances.

You know what? The Grammy's made a mistake. They showed Lynn Anderson's picture and her name among those that are deceased but according to Wikipedia, she is still alive!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-13-2012 at 02:45 PM.

You what? The Grammy's made a mistake. They showed Lynn Anderson's picture and her name among those that are deceased but according to Wikipedia, she is still alive!
    You're right! Good catch! I couldn't find any record of her death.

I don't know much about Bruno Mars, but they really turned it out!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    I don't know much about Bruno Mars, but they really turned it out!
    They did a good job. Where was Kanye West? They should have had Common perform and wasn't Chaka suppose to be a part of the tribute to Whitney?

They did a good job. Where was Kanye West? They should have had Common perform and wasn't Chaka suppose to be a part of the tribute to Whitney?
    Well, considering the circumstances, that probably got changed. Or, due to the nature of broadcast TV, and scheduling for time zones, it may not have been aired.

You what? The Grammy's made a mistake. They showed Lynn Anderson's picture and her name among those that are deceased but according to Wikipedia, she is still alive!
    Marv: just checked: they didn't make a mistake. It was LIZ Anderson, Lynn's mother who died last October. Her mother was a songwriter.

The night belonged to Adele. Won 6 out of 6. Real talent doesn't have to appear on stage in her underwear with pink hair surrounded by half naked dancers. Well done Adele.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    The night belonged to Adele. Won 6 out of 6. Real talent doesn't have to appear on stage in her underwear with pink hair surrounded by half naked dancers. Well done Adele.

Rolling in the Deep is catchy and Adele has a strong voice and seems nice but I still don't understand all of the hype and hoopla.

Adele doesn't fit the "mold" of what's out there. Her voice is incredible.....and to still have it after possible career threatening surgery is amazing. She is not 5ft 10in and 100bs [[and designer Karl Lagerfeld of Chanel took it on the chin for calling her "fat"). And women can identify with "Rolling In The Deep."
    Otherwise loved seeing Beach Boys, Glenn Campbell......

You're right! Good catch! I couldn't find any record of her death.
    That caught me out too! I hope Lynn has posted somewhere that reports of her death are grossly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Adele doesn't fit the "mold" of what's out there. Her voice is incredible.....and to still have it after possible career threatening surgery is amazing. She is not 5ft 10in and 100bs [[and designer Karl Lagerfeld of Chanel took it on the chin for calling her "fat"). And women can identify with "Rolling In The Deep."
    Because she's pudgy is reason for all of the hype?

wonder_woman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Adele lives just up the road from me in a rather large house, she's been in the local shops but I have'nt bumped into her, if I do I will let you know just how pudgy she is

LL Cool J has hada great career. I too am proud to see him hosting the Grammy's. I listed Bruno Mars' "Doo- Wops & Hooligan" as one of my top 10 favorite releases of 2011. He has great music, a great voice [[love his tone) and I hope he's around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    She's an alcoholic who has had DUI and shoplifting arrests, and some other bad scenes over the years. That could be why.

I like her signature 70s hit "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden". It is cold blooded!

Marv: just checked: they didn't make a mistake. It was LIZ Anderson, Lynn's mother who died last October. Her mother was a songwriter.
    Oh ok, gotcha. Thanks Soulster.

She's an alcoholic who has had DUI and shoplifting arrests, and some other bad scenes over the years. That could be why.

I like her signature 70s hit "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden". It is cold blooded!
    I liked her song too that is why I remember her and was surprised when I thought she had passed. Just seen some recent pics of her and they did not look too great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    That caught me out too! I hope Lynn has posted somewhere that reports of her death are grossly exaggerated.
    You too huh? I am really sure that they used a picture of Lynn as well as using her name "Lynn Anderson" and not that of her mother "Liz Anderson".

Well, considering the circumstances, that probably got changed. Or, due to the nature of broadcast TV, and scheduling for time zones, it may not have been aired.
    I heard this morning that Chaka Khan had to drop out because she was inconsolable and in no condition to perform the tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

I like Adele and said so last summer on Youtube. One of her people wrote me back to thank me personally for my comments about their artist! I was happily surprised. Her song "Rolling in the Deep" was played constantly on radio here in New York/Long Island all summer! It had to win as it was so very popular in a year with a lot of mundane music. I also like Adele because I just bet she would be a lot fun. Her personality comes through well.

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Otherwise loved seeing Beach Boys, Glenn Campbell......
    I liked the Beach Boys performance and Glenn Campbell surprised the hell out of me. He sang and performed well. After not seeing him for many years, he was immediately recognizable. Everyone remembers that song "Rhinestone Cowboy". I remember his TV show from the early 70's very well.

Adele just reminds me of a girl down the street or someone that could work at Target's or somewhere, hehehehehe...When she mentioned she had a bit of snot coming out, I laughed LOL! Whatever happened to that Susan Boyle?

You guys in America have something of an advantage – you got to see the awards show live. It may have been on in the UK on Sky but was probably on far too late for me – have to get up for work the next day! However, I did catch Adele and her accomplishments on the national news this evening – yes, Adele winning all six categories for which she was nominated was considered national news. The first half of the news roundup made extensive mention of Whitney, whilst the second half focused on Adele. What came across for me was that Adele appeared to be genuinely shocked, excited and humbled as each award came rolling in the deep. And she’s a Tottenham lass...

selinasian Guest
    You guys in America have something of an advantage – you got to see the awards show live. It may have been on in the UK on Sky but was probably on far too late for me – have to get up for work the next day! However, I did catch Adele and her accomplishments on the national news this evening – yes, Adele winning all six categories for which she was nominated was considered national news. The first half of the news roundup made extensive mention of Whitney, whilst the second half focused on Adele. What came across for me was that Adele appeared to be genuinely shocked, excited and humbled as each award came rolling in the deep. And she’s a Tottenham lass...
    But, is she an Arsenal supporter? That's the question!
    We got the BAFTAS instead! Such excitement as Meryl lost her shoe and Colin gallantly retrieved it for her. It was almost Elizabeth I and Lord Robert Dudleyesque.

Quote Originally Posted by selinasian View Post
    We got the BAFTAS instead! Such excitement as Meryl lost her shoe and Colin gallantly retrieved it for her. It was almost Elizabeth I and Lord Robert Dudleyesque.
    You know, I don’t think anyone’s asked her. I’d be too afraid of her answer to ask right now; what if she revealed that she did follow that team from the library... But there is hope – Kiera Knightly was on Jonathan Ross [[did you know he’s a Spurs fan and used to run with the Tottenham Boys in the 70s?) and although she’s an arsenal fan she actually said she enjoyed watching Tottenham these days!

Not quite. Although it was broadcast from The Staples Center in Los Angeles, they showed it live on the east coast and time-delayed it for the time zone it came from. They always do that so they won't mess up their scheduling. Besides, Adele was featured on 60 Minutes right before the Grammys. I'm just 500 miles from L.A., so I got the recorded version.

You know, I don’t think anyone’s asked her. I’d be too afraid of her answer to ask right now; what if she revealed that she did follow that team from the library... But there is hope – Kiera Knightly was on Jonathan Ross [[did you know he’s a Spurs fan and used to run with the Tottenham Boys in the 70s?) and although she’s an arsenal fan she actually said she enjoyed watching Tottenham these days!
    I was an au pair in London from 1987 until 1989 and became a big West Ham fan. All your talk of Tottenham Hotspur has taken me back to some very happy afternoons I spent in Upton Park cheering on my beloved West ham.

Roberta

Not quite. Although it was broadcast from The Staples Center in Los Angeles, they showed it live on the east coast and time-delayed it for the time zone it came from. They always do that so they won't mess up their scheduling. Besides, Adele was featured on 60 Minutes right before the Grammys. I'm just 500 miles from L.A., so I got the recorded version.
    At least you're spared The BRITS....

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I was an au pair in London from 1987 until 1989 and became a big West Ham fan. All your talk of Tottenham Hotspur has taken me back to some very happy afternoons I spent in Upton Park cheering on my beloved West ham.

Roberta
    Katy Perry's became a West Ham fan because of her former husband. And Ray Winstone, of course, is a big West Ham fan. I could never figure why Madonna took up Chelsea, other than her UK publicist supported them. Anybody know of any other American's and their affiliations with British football teams?

Katy Perry's became a West Ham fan because of her former husband. And Ray Winstone, of course, is a big West Ham fan. I could never figure why Madonna took up Chelsea, other than her UK publicist supported them. Anybody know of any other American's and their affiliations with British football teams?
    I work with quite a few although they are not famous. They just happened to spend some time in England.

I did go to Chelsea FC in Fulham on time but it didn't have the same warmth as my West Ham stadium. Plus the curry in West ham is the best I've tasted. LOL

Roberta

They dropped the ball badly in the memorium. No pic/mention of Etta James, Don Cornelius, Howard Tate, J. Blackfoot, Wardell Quezarque. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by selinasian View Post
    Did Meryl win for Iron Lady?

Thank you.

Roberta

My 2 favorite moments were speeches.

‎"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of making music is what's most important. Singing into a microphone, learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do," he said as the band accepted their best rock performance trophy for "Walk." "It's not about being perfect. It's not about sounding absolutely correct. It's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [[your heart) and what goes on here [[your head). ... Long live rock 'n' roll!" Dave Grohl

and this, especially the last sentence.

"It's really hard to accept this award. Well, there's so much talent out here, like on this stage. There's a lot of talent that's not here tonight. It's also hard to accept because when I started to make songs I did it for the inherent reward of making songs, so I'm a little bit uncomfortable up here," he said. "But with that discomfort I do have a sense of gratitude. I want to say thank you to all the nominees, all the non-nominees that have never been here and never will be here." Bon Iver

At least you're spared The BRITS....
    How do you mean?

How do you mean?
    The UK equivalent of the Grammy Awards has always been a second rate show. It rarely raised itself above the mediocre, with the year it was hosted by Mick Fleetwood and Samantha Fox [[a former Page 3 model) the absolute rock bottom. It didn't get much better in the year's that followed - Jarvis Cocker disrupting Michael Jackson's performance, buckets of water being thrown over John Prescott [[I admit that was funny - what on earth was a politician doing there anyway?), constant accusations that the awards were rigged so that the major companies won the majority, and so on. It is supposed to showcase all that is good about British music, but for me it fails miserably every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Did Meryl win for Iron Lady?

Thank you.

Roberta
    Yes, Meryl won Best Actress. The other major winner was The Artist – Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Original Music and Best Costume Design. Gutted The Inbetweeners wasn’t even nominated, let alone won. Now that was a good film!
    Last edited by Hotspurman; 02-13-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    They dropped the ball badly in the memorium. No pic/mention of Etta James, Don Cornelius, Howard Tate, J. Blackfoot, Wardell Quezarque. Shame on them.
    Ah ha! I knew I couldn't have been the only to notice the exclusion of Don Cornelius, Etta and J. Blackfoot. I was however pleased to see that they did remember Esther Gordy-Edwards.

Ah ha! I knew I couldn't have been the only to notice the exclusion of Don Cornelius, Etta and J. Blackfoot. I was however pleased to see that they did remember Esther Gordy-Edwards.
    No, they weren't excluded. They reserved at least a tribute to both Don Cornelius and Etta James. I guess you didn't watch all of the show.

I did watch all of the show. Their pictures and names should have been in with the others who passed. Wasn't Whitney in there?

No, they weren't excluded. They reserved at least a tribute to both Don Cornelius and Etta James. I guess you didn't watch all of the show.
    There were at lot of phone calls going on here last night, so I may missed some

I did watch all of the show. Their pictures and names should have been in with the others who passed. Wasn't Whitney in there?
    I agree they should have done a LOT more for Don Cornelius than they did.

smark21 Guest
    My 2 favorite moments were speeches.

‎"To me this award means a lot because it shows that the human element of making music is what's most important. Singing into a microphone, learning to play an instrument and learning to do your craft, that's the most important thing for people to do," he said as the band accepted their best rock performance trophy for "Walk." "It's not about being perfect. It's not about sounding absolutely correct. It's not about what goes on in a computer. It's about what goes on in here [[your heart) and what goes on here [[your head). ... Long live rock 'n' roll!" Dave Grohl

and this, especially the last sentence.

"It's really hard to accept this award. Well, there's so much talent out here, like on this stage. There's a lot of talent that's not here tonight. It's also hard to accept because when I started to make songs I did it for the inherent reward of making songs, so I'm a little bit uncomfortable up here," he said. "But with that discomfort I do have a sense of gratitude. I want to say thank you to all the nominees, all the non-nominees that have never been here and never will be here." Bon Iver
    I agree,those two speeches stood out for me as well, and they both made excellent points.

smark21 Guest
    With the exception of Whitney, I believe all of the in Memorium people were those who died in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong. Besides Etta James got a little musical tribute earlier in the show. And hopefully Don Corneilius will get a good salute at the Emmys.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    With the exception of Whitney, I believe all of the in Memorium people were those who died in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong. Besides Etta James got a little musical tribute earlier in the show. And hopefully Don Corneilius will get a good salute at the Emmys.
    Gladys Horton passed in early 2011 and they included her in the program last year.