[REMOVE ADS]

"He's A Pretender" would have made a great Supremes reunion record

If Diana had stayed with Motown, I would have loved to have seen her reunite with Mary and Cindy for an album and tour right around Motown 25. And the perfect record for them? "He's a Pretender"! Great modern girl group record.

Yes, High Inergy [[Barbara Mitchell) turned it out, but....

Discuss!

No it would not have! That record sucked! At least the released mix. It was too fast with the vocals just below "chipmonk speed". Sounded better live. It would not have been a good record for any of those woman. Those were middle-aged women by then and that song was for the teeny-bopper crowd! That whole idea sounds like a bad one.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.

I love this song too! But I have a hard time imagining Diana, Mary and Cindy singing it. Although I can imagine Scherrie, Mary and Cindy singing it. Suzanne de Passe wanted MSC to reunite in '83.

And I can TOTALLY see "the girls" turning that record out! Diana and Mary never looked hotter than around that time. The video could have been kind of like "Pieces of Ice", with some animal men since the interlude is kinda spooky-sounding in "Pretender". The Supremes could be trying to get away from them.

Plus, this song is kind of like "Back In My Arms" again, in that Diana's friends are warning her about some guy. Only this time she discovers that they're right!

I should send a time machine to Suzanne De Passe in 1982. Oh wait, though, Diana had left for RCA, and with Mary and Berry fighting over The Supremes name, she couldn't have mounted a reunion anyway.

Now, if Mary hadn't written that dreadful book, and waited for Diane to return to Motown, '88-89/90 would have been another great time for a Supremes reunion. Maybe not that album, but something young and hip. Why? Because they always were! Shoo, they could have shown En Vogue just how it's done!

Maybe they could have made something of it but the High Inergy version has many flaws [[like almost every George Tobin production: see the Thelma Houston lp "Never Gonna Be Another One"; not her best, even if "If You Feel It" is actually a good song).