[REMOVE ADS]

In the Basement Magazine - Final Edition

Just heard that In the Basement, surely the best real Soul magazine out there is to stop publishing with edition 65 [[ this month )
    I'm sure there are a few of you out there who will be as disappointed as I am.

there was not a better magazine devoted to soul music. but he will be working the website more.
    http://www.basement-group.co.uk/

OMG, I can't believe this. Dave is one of the most gracious and supportive people out here and his magazine was top notch quality. It will be missed but yeah for the online presence.

It's the best of it's kind.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    It's the best of it's kind.
    I agree. Dave didn't focus on the NS scene but he believed in bringing new music to the forefront, especially from Classic Soul artist. His CD reviews were always honest, fair and constructive and his features were always great to read. He's principled too...didn't accept any MP3's. You sent him a psychical CD or nothing but it was his way of showing support for the smaller indie record shops he dealt with. I have a great deal of admiration and respect for David Cole.

I know he and the Basement Staff will bring the same quality to the website, they brought to the magazine and I really look forward to this new phase. I wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    I agree. Dave didn't focus on the NS scene but he believed in bringing new music to the forefront, especially from Classic Soul artist. His CD reviews were always honest, fair and constructive and his features were always great to read. He's principled too...didn't accept any MP3's. You sent him a psychical CD or nothing but it was his way of showing support for the smaller indie record shops he dealt with. I have a great deal of admiration and respect for David Cole.

I know he and the Basement Staff will bring the same quality to the website, they brought to the magazine and I really look forward to this new phase. I wish him all the best.
    " The basement staff ! " David will enjoy that.

LOL....I know

I was lucky enough to start buying In the Basement right from Issue #1, and every issue was worth waiting for. I shall miss the publication in magazine form, but respect David's reasons for switching to an online presence. He is to be commended for announcing the closure several issues ago, and not accepting subscriptions past the cessation date.

I wish David the best of luck in the new format.

Amen to that. A fantastic body of work. Dave deserves a break from printers and schlepping about with boxes of magazines.

The final edition has Mary Wells on the cover. There are features on Mary Wells, Betty Everett, and Howard Tate.

Found this on the site....Great pic of Mary Wells. She looks fantastic.
    I wish David well and look forward to the digital edition.

Name:  mary Wells.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  69.5 KB

I must admit I miss the thump of "In the Basement" magazine hitting my carpet every quarter.

The magazine has won the "Sweet Soul Music" Award at this year's Poretta Soul Festival for services to soul music.

CD reviews and gig reports can be found on the In The Basement website.
    http://www.basement-group.co.uk

It's the end of an era...I've gotten to read an issue or two over the years and enjoyed them immensely. I wish David all the best with the website and any future endeavors.

Best,

Mark

The website [sadly] is now being expanded to include obituaries.

'In The Basement 'was an outstanding magazine and whilst its good that its spirit carries on with David Cole's website there is a tangible loss at not having a beautiful paper vision to handle.

The magazine was always well written and researched providing definitive articles on so many artists many of whom are now dead and gone. After sixty five issues one came to appreciate the excellent writing of David Cole. He also had the knack of using other outstanding writers such as Louis Opal Nations , John Ridley and Greg Burgess who were able to communicate their enthusiasm with passion and often with humour - check out Burgess ' final article on his years on the dance scene - hilarious tongue in cheek stuff!

David - I'm sure 'In the Basement' will become a collectors item for R&B/soul music historians of the future. Well done sir

New website

The "Soul Basement" is the new home for all things connected with the former "In the Basement" magazine.

Visit http://www.thesoulbasement.com for CD, book and DVD reviews, gig reports, news items and obituaries, with more aspects of the old magazine to follow. There is also the Basement Marketplace which includes items for sale.