[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's "I Can't Give Back the love I feel for you"

The Surrender album is one of the most soul orientatied sets Ms. Ross ever
    did one song in particular is "I Can't Give Back the Love I feel for you" is
    an amazing performance by Ms. Ross even though she has strong backup
    support from Nick and Valerie, and possibly others, [[The Jones Girls) were the
    Andantes gone by this time but at one point in this tune 2:43
    Diana hits an amazing high note. I won't even speculate saying it is someone
    other than her, because the note is in her key, but it is an unusual one. I think
    Motown should have let her go loose more in the last days of Diana Ross & The Supremes it would have been good for her career. This is one of the first post
    s I have done praising Diana Ross. "I'm A Winner" is another fabulous track

Hi Fran,

I love that track! In fact, I didn't mind that it got accidentally placed on "Forever, Diana" where "surrender" should have been on Disc 2. I hadn't heard it before that

The way you feel about that note is the way I feel about her 'magic' note in "One Shining Moment". I swear she sounds as good as Patti on that note!

One track I always loved by Diana was "In Your Arms" from the "Silk Electric" album. Her vocals had a most hypnotic feel about them and I often wondered if it was actually Diane singing in the background.

I truly love that song and Nick and Val in my opinion could always bring out the best in Diana vocals. Another song like that for me was "The Boss" that Ashford and Simpson recorded for her. However, the best song for me was "One More Chance" on the To Love Again CD. There are notes on there that makes you believe she truly is singing that song to someone.

It seems that everybody and their mother recorded this song. I still don't know who's version was the original. Was it Kiki's? Anyway... the best version, IMO is this one:

This one is interesting... not too bad:

The original version [[and my favourite) was the one released on Gordy by Rita Wright aka Syreeta in January 1968.

Syreeta did the original. Her version was produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier. The song was originally intended for the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by TMSG View Post
    One track I always loved by Diana was "In Your Arms" from the "Silk Electric" album. Her vocals had a most hypnotic feel about them and I often wondered if it was actually Diane singing in the background.
    It was definitely her.

I always wondered if she was inspired by Marvin to do those multi-tracked, not-quite-in-perfect-harmony backing vocals/doubled leads.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    It was definitely her.

I always wondered if she was inspired by Marvin to do those multi-tracked, not-quite-in-perfect-harmony backing vocals/doubled leads.
    Maybe she was just tired with dealing with pesky, uppity backpart singers and decided to record the backgrounds herself? Even divas can get bored with abusing backpart singers.

i believe nick and val are backing her up, but she truly shines here, also i like stephanie mills version
    as well. in mary's book she says that she is on the backing track of "these things will keep me loving you"

ladonna Guest
    Stephanie Mills is on the background on TTWKMLY? Now THIS is a revelation!

no not stephanie mills, but mary wilson states in dreamgirl she recorded the backing track as a supreme probably with cindy, and others backing her up.

The misconception about "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" is that in Mary's book it states they recorded it and it was used on Diana's first LP. The track used for Diana was originally assigned to the Jean-Mary-Cindy Supremes, but reassigned to Diana just a few days after the track was cut. The track was cut November 5, 1969 and then reassigned to Diana on the 8th. I have a theory that since "Someday We'll Be Together" was just released as the final Diana Ross & the Supremes single that a follow-up single to be issued by the "new" Supremes would be one similar to the previous thus Johnny Bristol cut "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" for them. Within those few days, it was most likely decided that it would serve Diana better and so the track was reassigned to her. We know the story that it was originally planned to be her first single as a solo artist, but "Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)" was chosen instead.

Best versions are Rita [[Syreeta's) original & Dusty's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Best versions are Rita [[Syreeta's) original & Dusty's cover.
    ...Agreed!

I pefer Rita`s and Kiki Dee`s versions to Diana`s.

How ironic, I was listening to this CD last night as I was driving home from a long trip. I played it a couple of times when the expanded edition came out but was quite pleased at some of the singing that Nick and Val were able to get from Ms. Ross. In listening to the demo that Ms. Simpson did on the last track on the expanded edition, the bar was set pretty high, and Ms. Ross came through.

Stephanie Mills version was stately, and sublime, simultaneously.

The best version to my ears is Diana's version. No one else can do those spoken passages like she does, with the actress in her, and I'm sorry but she hits some notes on this song that blow the others out of the water.

No contest, but the other ladies are nice.

ladonna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    The best version to my ears is Diana's version. No one else can do those spoken passages like she does, with the actress in her, and I'm sorry but she hits some notes on this song that blow the others out of the water.

No contest, but the other ladies are nice.

100% agreement!

naw hands down Diana nailed that song in Supreme style and claimed it as her own.