[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Ross 78 lp

Ross 78 lp

With the release of DIANA ROSS [[1976 Expanded), I conclude that there will never need to be an expanded edition of ROSS 78 [[cover art shows drawing of Diana with a cigarette). All eight of the tracks on that LP have now be issued on various compilations and expanded editions. Here is my accounting. I have probably missed something. :-)

1. LIVIN', LOVIN', GIVIN'
    Appears on ANTHOLOGY and diana Expanded [[Chic)

2. WHAT YOU GAVE ME
    Appears on diana Expanded [[Chic)

3. NEVER SAY I DON'T LOVE YOU
    Appears on TO LOVE AGAIN EXPANDED

4. YOU WERE THE ONE

5. REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE
    Appears on SURRENDER EXPANDED [[2 versions)

6. SORRY DOESN'T ALWAYS MAKE IT RIGHT
    Appears on ANTHOLOGY and DIANA ROSS 76 EXPANDED

7. WHERE DID WE GO WRONG
    Appears on LAST TIME I SAW HIM EXPANDED

8. TOGETHER
    Appears on TO LOVE AGAIN EXPANDED and DIANA ROSS 76 EXPANDED

Now now longtime fan, that would not be an entirely correct assumption. Not all of the album versions of those songs have appeared previously. Also, they've never been remastered together on one set, nor have the bonus tracks. Think bigger, think better. The one thing we've learned from Diana is that anything is possible! Maybe even some things you don't know exist. :-)

Thanks for the response, Andy. You are right, of course that more alternates may [[do) exist for ROSS 78. I was indicating that we now at least have quality CD tracks of all eight tracks from this LP that has never been released on CD.

This prompts a question that I have long held.

Is there any possibility of increasing the pace of releases by The Supremes/Diana by using the format of the recent Marvelettes' collections? I feel that fans would get great enjoyment with a release of 3-4 albums together with an extra disc of bonus tracks. At least for The Supremes, one release of all of the concept albums together and another release of all of the live albums togethe [[with bonus tracks). The studio albums could maintain the format currently in use. I would love to hear your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    1. LIVIN', LOVIN', GIVIN'
    Appears on ANTHOLOGY and diana Expanded [[Chic)

2. WHAT YOU GAVE ME

6. SORRY DOESN'T ALWAYS MAKE IT RIGHT
    Appears on ANTHOLOGY and DIANA ROSS 76 EXPANDED
    LIVIN', LOVIN', GIVIN'
    The lp version is on "diana" [expanded], the 3:30 7" version on "Anthology" [1986], the TGIF version on the "TGIF" cd and a fourth mix is available on "The Motown anthology" [[«unedited*TGIF*mix»). The short TGIF versions are not on any cd's: the 4:00 version on the 1983 "Anthology" and the 3:15 version on the European pressings of*TGIF were only available on vinyls.
    Besides, the version of the movie, mainly an instrumental, was never available anywhere.
    [[Footnote: why so many versions of that song?)

WHAT YOU GAVE ME: the 12" version has been issued on "diana" [expanded] and the 7" version on "Anthology" [1986]. The lp version is not available on any cd.

WHERE DID WE GO WRONG: the 1978 lp version is not available on any cd.

The three songs previously released on this lp were released in a different version for the "Ross" lp:
    - «Sorry doesn't always make it right» has no harmonica.
    - «Together» is 15 seconds longer [[if we compare it with the single version).
    - «Reach out I'll be there» is in a different version than the one on*Surrender, with an intro almost a cappella and a little part senza voce on the end.
    [[I don't remember if those specific versions were issued on cd, on the new expanded versions; I suppose there were but I can't check it now because I have to go to work ;-)

Any way I would love to have an expanded "Ross" edition with all the pictures [[including the beautiful one used for the "Lovin', livin' and givin'" European 7") and all the tracks. Ross catalogue has to be completed.

'Where did we go wrong' is one of my all time favourite Ross ballads. It is one I never get tired of. It is a minor miracle it has managed to escape the digital age as yet!
    [[The original version on 'Last time I saw Him - expanded' is great too - but I prefer the latter)

Lakedistrcit. i totally agree. love this song. when i was younger i didnt think much about this album but over the years i have grown to love it. not crazy about TOGETHER, it seems out of place to me like it should have been on LAST TIME I SAW HIM lp, but that just my opinion. anyway, look forward to this expanded release. this one may have the most surprises ?

Weren't there 2 versions of Livin', Lovin', Givin' from the TGIF soundtrack? I seem to remember hearing that the original LP was issued with one mix and that mix was replaced on the next issue of the LP. Is that true, and if so, why? It seems that LLG was issued a lot in many mixes but I don't remember it getting much play.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Weren't there 2 versions of Livin', Lovin', Givin' from the TGIF soundtrack? I seem to remember hearing that the original LP was issued with one mix and that mix was replaced on the next issue of the LP. Is that true, and if so, why? It seems that LLG was issued a lot in many mixes but I don't remember it getting much play.
    "Lovin', livin' and givin'" is 4:40 long with a synthesizer-driven arrangement on the US pressing. This version was available only as a 7" in Europe; on the European pressing of the soundtrack, "Lovin', livin' and givin'" was in a 3:15 version in a less synthesizer-driven arrangement. This latter version is the one, extended, available on the Ross collection "The Motown anthology".

"Lovin', livin' and givin'" was #54 in Britain.

What about a release for "
    "Baby Its Me" now we are really talkin business because with the exception of "Top of the World"
    & "Your love is so good to me" & "Gettin Ready for Love" i don't beleive any of those tracks have seen
    the light of day on CD i may be wrong, but that cd needs a treatment.

Baby Its Me was released on cd as a twofer with Touch me in the morning!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Me-Baby-Its/dp/B000008K8O

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Thanks for the response, Andy. You are right, of course that more alternates may [[do) exist for ROSS 78. I was indicating that we now at least have quality CD tracks of all eight tracks from this LP that has never been released on CD.

This prompts a question that I have long held.

Is there any possibility of increasing the pace of releases by The Supremes/Diana by using the format of the recent Marvelettes' collections? I feel that fans would get great enjoyment with a release of 3-4 albums together with an extra disc of bonus tracks. At least for The Supremes, one release of all of the concept albums together and another release of all of the live albums togethe [[with bonus tracks). The studio albums could maintain the format currently in use. I would love to hear your comments.
    But we don't have them all on CD. We still don't have the actuall 'Ross' versions of "Reach Out, I'll Be There", "Where Did We Go Wrong", "Together", and "What You Gave Me" [[although it did appear on the 1985 Dutch CD 'Dance Songs'.)

Furthermore, in addition to whatever vaults tracks exist, there are alternate mixes still for:

"Lovin', Livin' & Givin'" [detailed very well above by Constantin]
    "Sweet Summertime Livin'" [there was a 1978 mix and a 1981 remix intended for the unreleased 'Revelations'. 'diana' deluxe ed. contains one of the mixes but doesn't specify which]

plus songs never on CD from the 'Ross' era, such as:

"For Once In My Life"
    "Ease On Down The Road" - both the 7" mix and 12" mix [if these can be licensed as they are from a film]

and two vaulted tracks from 'Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz':

"Be A Lion"
    "Wonder, Wonder Why"

So see, there's enough to make an expanded CD, probably a single-disc edition.
    Last edited by Sugarchilehoneybaby; 02-09-2012 at 04:11 AM.

The Wiz soundtrack is released on cd
    Ease on Down the Road is also on the Dutch cd Dance Songs!
    http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=311636

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    *Ease on Down the Road is also on the Dutch cd Dance Songs!
    I wouldn’t recommend «Dance songs» because it’s a K-Tel release intended originally for a vinyl lp [[more than 25 min. by side), which means bad sound. Besides too many songs are edited. The words «extended longplay», «remix» or «special dance mix» on the sleeve do not mean anything actually.
    Original A-side
    Upside Down [[Special Dance Mix) 4:00 = lp version
    My Old Piano [[Extended Longplay) 3:50 = lp version
    Ease On Down The Road 3:50 = edited 12" version
    Lovin', Livin' & Givin' [[Special Dance Mix) 4:45 = full length Euro 7" version
    No One Gets The Prize [[Remix) 4:30 = lp version
    Your Love Is So Good For Me 3:33 = edited lp version
    The Boss [[Special Dance Mix) 4:50 = edited 12" version
    Original B-side
    A Brand New Day 2:30 = lp version with fading
    I'm Coming Out 5:10 = lp version
    What You Gave Me 4:35 = edited lp version
    Love Hangover [[Extended Longplay) 4:45 = edited lp version
    It's My House 3:50 = edited lp version
    Tenderness 3:50 = lp version
    Pops, We Love You [[Special Dance Mix) 3:50 = Euro 7" version
    [When I write «edited lp version», it means just that: it is not the 7" edit but simply the lp version fading early.]

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    That's true. On the first issues of the TGIF soundtrack the edit was shorter and not nearly as full or lush sounding as on the later issues. The differences can be spotted because even the song title changed. I think on the first issues it's called "Livin', Lovin' and Givin" and on the latter the title we're more used to seeing. [[On the name change I'm speaking from memory...I might even have it backwards...it's been quite a while since I pulled out the TFIF soundtrack though I know I have both versions of it.)

There's another remix of it, I think an online only in terms of availability. Can't find it just now, but have seen it on YouTube. A much longer intro with lots of percussion. I think it was called the Almighty 'something' remix, or something like that.

Love the song...I like the way Diane's vocals seem to be kind of buried in the mix instead of up front as usual. It has the effect of kind of boxing her in vocally, creating a kind of closeness unusual in a dance record.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.

selinasian Guest
    I have Lovin', livin' and givin' the Almighy Definitive Mix on a cd of Diana tracks with Almighty mixes. Mine is a 'burned' disc containing 14 tracks plus a Vicken's There And Back Mix of Love Child.

Quote Originally Posted by selinasian View Post
    I have Lovin', livin' and givin' the Almighy Definitive Mix on a cd of Diana tracks with Almighty mixes. Mine is a 'burned' disc containing 14 tracks plus a Vicken's There And Back Mix of Love Child.
    Do you mean you got it as a CD-R vs. downloading and copying it onto a CD?

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Do you mean you got it as a CD-R vs. downloading and copying it onto a CD?
    Not sure kenneth. My copy is spread over 2 discs on CD-R. I was given it by a friend. I've always assumed the tracks were originally downloaded then copied onto cd.

Quote Originally Posted by selinasian View Post
    Not sure kenneth. My copy is spread over 2 discs on CD-R. I was given it by a friend. I've always assumed the tracks were originally downloaded then copied onto cd.
    Thanks. I see on Amazon there are some "Almighty Essentials" and other compilation CDs, but I haven't found that "Livin" track as yet.

I would love to finally have the "Ross" versions of "Where Did We Go Wrong" and "Reach Out I'll Be There" on cd! Let's hope this year we'll get both "Baby It's Me" and "Ross" from Hip-O!

"Baby its me" is a fabulous work of art the songs are breathtaking and it needs its own cd taking
    nothing away from tmitm. that touffer was an import no. Universal hippo should get on the bandwagon for this cd release 'BABY ITS ME" there is s strong market for it from the disco love era.

the love that makes me laugh, you got it, baby its me, too shy to stay, just to name a few.

i think Baby Its Me is the next Ross solo project and At The Copa for the Supremes. i also do think we will get a Ross 78 expanded edition as well,there seems to be many out takes fromn this time frame

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Now now longtime fan, that would not be an entirely correct assumption. Not all of the album versions of those songs have appeared previously. Also, they've never been remastered together on one set, nor have the bonus tracks. Think bigger, think better. The one thing we've learned from Diana is that anything is possible! Maybe even some things you don't know exist. :-)
    Hi Andy,

So, does "The Most Important Person In Your Life" exist? And I noticed in the "Deluxe Black" liner notes it says that the Holland reunion sessions resulted in four songs....and we've gotten three thus far. So, is there indeed another H-H/Ross track in the vaults, and if so, is it "The Most Important Person"?

Also - I have to ask you about the Motown Singles 1971A. Was that a mixup on disc 59 on the second promo release of "Reach Out, I'll Be There"? I thought this track was going to be the red vinyl promo version, which is a totally different edit and clocks in at about 3:16. But it wasn't. I haven't checked it against the first mono version on Disc 58, but they appear to be the same length.

Thankfully, I have the red vinyl short promo edit and have recorded it to a digital file, but I was hoping to have a nice remastered version on the singles set.

Hugs and respect,
    Sugar

The Wiz soundtrack is released on cd
    Ease on Down the Road is also on the Dutch cd Dance Songs!

Yes, but both of those releases feature "Ease On Down The Road #1" from the soundtrack. It has talking over the intro. What I am talking about are the original 7" and 12" mixes of "Ease On Down The Road". They've never been released outside of vinyl.

The version on Dance Songs is still the soundtrack version. It's not an edit of the 12".

I almost forgot I have that 12-inch version on vinyl.

The 7" mix of "Ease On Down The Road" is on Michael Jackson The Ultimate Collection box set from 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    Yes, but both of those releases feature "Ease On Down The Road #1" from the soundtrack. It has talking over the intro. What I am talking about are the original 7" and 12" mixes of "Ease On Down The Road". They've never been released outside of vinyl.

The version on Dance Songs is still the soundtrack version. It's not an edit of the 12".
    The version on "Dance songs" is not the original 3:20 version on the lp "The Wiz" called "Ease On Down The Road #1"; it's a longer version [[3:50) edited from a French 12". This particular 12" is not the original 6:02 remix released in 1978 but a much later version released in the middle of the Jacksonmania when the picture "The Wiz" was shown in French theaters [[1983). At WEA-Filipacchi they issued a promotional 12" [[PRO-1040) merging the three versions of the song "Ease On Down The Road" available on the soundtrack, removing some bars in the process. The final timing is 5:30 and the first 3:50 of this version are those available on "Dance songs".

That is the meaning of ‹‹Ease On Down The Road 3:50 = edited 12" version›› in one of my posts.

The French 12":
    http://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross--M...release/531425
    Last edited by Constantin; 02-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The 7" mix of "Ease On Down The Road" is on Michael Jackson The Ultimate Collection box set from 2004.

Ooops! and thanks George! I stand corrected - I've always wanted to splurge on that box set! Guess I'll have to now

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
    The version on "Dance songs" is not the original 3:20 version on the lp "The Wiz" called "Ease On Down The Road #1"; it's a longer version [[3:50) edited from a French 12". This particular 12" is not the original 6:02 remix released in 1978 but a much later version released in the middle of the Jacksonmania when the picture "The Wiz" was shown in French theaters [[1983). At WEA-Filipacchi they issued a promotional 12" [[PRO-1040) merging the three versions of the song "Ease On Down The Road" available on the soundtrack, removing some bars in the process. The final timing is 5:30 and the first 3:50 of this version are those available on "Dance songs".

That is the meaning of ‹‹Ease On Down The Road 3:50 = edited 12" version›› in one of my posts.

The French 12":
    Thanks Constantin for the link! Shows you what I know
    I'll have to give 'Dance Songs' a spin now and compare the versions!

Baby Its Me was released on cd as a twofer with Touch me in the morning!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Me-Baby-Its/dp/B000008K8O
    The sound quality wasn't good on those twofers. And the pairing were sometimes strange: "TCB" with "A Bit of Liverpool"??? The twofers released in 2000 were much better but I think that only Supremes albums were available and not Diana Ross's. "Baby It's Me" would be a nice addition to the Expanded/Deluxe series.

this deluxe/expanded edition may have the most surprises yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Constantin View Post

The French 12":
    But the album version #1 runs 3:52 not 3:20. Maybe the version on "Dance Songs" is just the album version #1.

Quote Originally Posted by becane View Post
    But the album version #1 runs 3:52 not 3:20. Maybe the version on "Dance Songs" is just the album version #1.
    True; when I wrote my previous post I didn't checked out on my copy of "The Wiz" [[an album that is not among my favourites). Now, I've just seen my copy of "The Wiz" and years ago I've changed the timing of the song, crossing off the inaccurate printed 3:19 with a pencil and replacing it by 3:50 [[so much for trusting Internet sources all saying that the song is 3:19 :-). Anyway, the French 12" being just a "cut and paste" mix, it's not strange either.

Listed on CD Japan as making its long awaited debut on disc on Nov. 28th as part of the SHM-CD series of Ross solo LPs getting straight reissue with cardboard sleeves

I'm really tempted to get this Japanese cd edition but they don't come cheap. Motown Andy pulleeease could you give us a hint as to weather this album may be getting the Hip-0 treatment some time in the future. That way I can save some pennies and not end up buying it twice. Though I must admit I do love these cardboard sleeve mini lp cd editions the Japanese release. Thankyou!

I have been asked by several fans to respond to this thread. I wanted to let everyone know that I will respond soon, but I need to check in on one piece of information before commenting on it, so that I can give the best and most accurate answer I can. Thanks!

any release date for the planned Ross cd? updates.thanks

Hi Andy. Are you able to tell us anything about this one yet? I'm trying so hard NOT to buy the Japanese disc, hoping something better is coming soon.