[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering the Maggot Brain

Name:  Eddie+Hazel+EH.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  12.7 KB

Fly on brother...fly on.

One of my all-time favorite songs and guitar solo.

I am so glad that I've seen Eddie Hazel play live more times than I can remember and I still miss the man since he left this
    world. I've listened to Maggot Brain virtually every morning for more than 25 years now and have yet to tire of it...My only regret is that he and James Marshal Hendrix never got to play together...

Maggot Brain is like a portal into an alternate space and time. For 10:10 of it's length ------time stands still. For 10:10 you become one with Eddie Hazel ,sort of like Spocks "mind meld". The first time I heard it I had to sit back and think "Gawd Dang what the fizznuck just happened?" I bought the album as soon as it came out because since the first Funkadelic album I was hooked on them and expected something on the same order as Free Your Mind [[plus) ,but I was totally floored. Now when I play it I just lay back and just prepare to cross over. It's an "expirence" every time, for lack of a better word. You just have to shake your head and say "Dayum". It's like coming out of a trance. Dayum!!!!!!!!!
    As for Hazel and Hendrix........Shiii........Can you say....Overdose????????? We will have to wait until we cross over to see that ,cause you would have to be dead already ,so we couldn't hurt ourselves . Then we could get Hendrix ,Hazel and Miles........

Tfunk,

I see your Maggot Lord and raise you the same while playing The Tune in question live at Riverfront Colosseum in Cincinnati in '79. Go Wiggle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chidrummer; 12-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I am so glad that I've seen Eddie Hazel play live more times than I can remember and I still miss the man since he left this
    world. I've listened to Maggot Brain virtually every morning for more than 25 years now and have yet to tire of it...My only regret is that he and James Marshal Hendrix never got to play together...
    They very nearly did was just talking about this with Billy the other day and he explained that Buddy Miles brought Jimi to see the original funkadelics and he wanted to meet them after the show but they had to split

Dang, P-Theory, talk about a missed opportunity. I once dreamed Eddie and Jimi were stuck together at an airport with
    all the flights cancelled and all they thought to do was take out their axes and just jam...

"Who says a jazz band can't play funk, who says a funk band can't play rock..."

Wasn't a live version of Maggot Brain on One Nation Under a Groove? That's how I came to know the song.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    "Who says a jazz band can't play funk, who says a funk band can't play rock..."

Wasn't a live version of Maggot Brain on One Nation Under a Groove? That's how I came to know the song.
    Yes, but that was Michael Hampton who did that live version.
    Not only was Eddie a great guitarist, he was a great singer