[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mavis Staples

Mavis Staples

I have always heard about her, but I am not familiar with her music. I know she was part of the Staples Singers and very successful, etc. I have the opportunity to see her live. Ticket is $20. Should I go? Or maybe that's a stupid question? I'm leaning towards a yes. I gotta skip a class to go to the concert though. But I know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She's a legend.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-12-2012 at 01:28 AM.

don't hesitate !

I don't know if I'd encourage you to skip a class :-), but you definitely try and catch Mavis if you can.

I saw her on New Year's Eve, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. It was the fourth time I've seen her in concert, and I've never been disappointed. The sheer power of her voice is astounding.

I saw her on New Year's Eve, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. It was the fourth time I've seen her in concert, and I've never been disappointed. The sheer power of her voice is astounding.
    Just go...........she is one of Chicago's treasures....enrich yourself..........

A great, powerhouse of a singer. Are you familiar with the Chevy Chase movie Christmas Vacation? That's Mavis singing
    the title song. She was lead on all of the Staples Singers major hits and had solo records of her own back when they
    recorded for Stax/Volt.

Go Carlo! Your soul education is more impt!! She was on the recent VH1 soul divas.

Of course you go. The class will be there next week [[Mavis won't )and your friends can tell you all about what happened in class this week.

It's all good.

Definitely go. She's still got it, and she has alot of great stories to tell too.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Are you familiar with the Chevy Chase movie Christmas Vacation? That's Mavis singing the title song.
    I didn't realize that was Mavis! Cool!

Thanks guys! I'll definitely have to go! I skipped a couple of classes last semester to see Diana Ross in the States and everything worked out fine. Musical education is just as important.

Carlo, definitely go! Don't miss this opportunity to hear one of the true greats!

Marv

and only TWENTY DOLLARS for the ticket?! GO!!!!

Carlo, Mavis has been recording since 1953, she came before Aretha, Tina, Diana and Etta just to name a few. Not only is she a great talent but she's one of the dearest and warmest people you will ever meet in show biz. They just don't make them like Mavis anymore; she's a true legend and a pioneer.

You will never forget this night. GO!

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback! I bought my ticket! It was so cheap because I get a student discount. Worth every penny! Looking forward to the show. I will post a review when I get back. The show is on January 25th.

smark21 Guest
    And she's been recording in recent years, working with Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. Here's one of their songs.

Thanks Smark. I had seen her most recent CD produced by Jeff Tweedy in my local CD shop a few weeks ago and I was listening to the samples on iTunes tonight. Sounds great. I will have to pick it up tomorrow. It has "Creep Along Moses" on it. Great song!

I had the honor of meeting her at United Sound. One day I walked into the studio and I was sitting in the control booth with Don Davis. She was down below with a spotlight on her with some headphones on and she was laying down a vocal for her first solo album. I was familiar with her because my roomate had some Staple Singers albums. What a voice. I went down and hugged her and told her how much her voice moved me. A priceless memory, indeed! You will enjoy her concert, whether you are familiar with her music or not. No one sings like Mavis...

Great story, Joe! Thanks for sharing.

Carlo--- Mavis is required research. Learn all you can before the 25th so that you will be prepared to be thrilled by her. You WILL be moved down to your toes. Check out The Staples, "Respect Yourself" , "I'll Take You There" and "Let's Do It Again",[[produced by Curtis), for starters.

Also get her two solo albums for Volt, which have been reissued on one CD...my brother prefers her version of "A House Is Not a Home" to Luther's, which says something.

Best,

Mark

Her Prince/Paisley Park album is also very nice and increasingly rare also.

She`s defintetly a great soul vocalist chech out her two solo albums on one CD, the self titelt "Mavis Staples" and "only for the lonley" my favorites are "what happend to the real me" and "You`re driving me into the arms of a stranger"

I enjoy her work on "Boy meets girl" too, she is a great duet partner for several stax artists.

Thanks again everybody! I went to the concert last week and LOVED every single minute of it. Mavis said that they were going to bring us some positivity...enough to last us for 6 months! Every day this week, I've thought of the concert and what she told us and it makes me smile. She definitely has a gift to inspire and minister through song. Her voice still sounds amazing. She performed for about 80 minutes and sang herself out of her wig [[literally...lol). She was also very humourous. She did about 8 or 9 songs from the new album, plus some of the classics. I was really impressed with her band. There were four backup singers [[one of them was her sister), plus two of the guys in the band were also singing. The band was small, but gave off a real authentic, bluesy, gospel sound.

Unfortunately, she didn't come back for an encore. It seemed like there were some technical/sound issues throughout, since the stage hands kept lingering and tinkering in the background. My friend also commented that Mavis' breathing didn't sound right. She thought maybe she was getting over some sort of cold. I only noticed her cough a couple of times. However, it was a fantastic show! She did not disappoint. A real living legend! She managed to transform the theater into a church. It was a great experience. Everybody was clapping, singing and shouting! Praise the Lord!
    Last edited by carlo; 02-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks again everybody! I went to the concert last week and LOVED every single minute of it. Mavis said that they were going to bring us some positivity...enough to last us for 6 months! Every day this week, I've thought of the concert and what she told us and it makes me smile. She definitely has a gift to inspire and minister through song. Her voice still sounds amazing. She performed for about 80 minutes and sang herself out of her wig [[literally...lol). She was also very humourous. She did about 8 or 9 songs from the new album, plus some of the classics. I was really impressed with her band. There were four backup singers [[one of them was her sister), plus two of the guys in the band were also singing. The band was small, but gave off a real authentic, bluesy, gospel sound.

Unfortunately, she didn't come back for an encore. It seemed like there were some technical/sound issues throughout, since the stage hands kept lingering and tinkering in the background. My friend also commented that Mavis' breathing didn't sound right. She thought maybe she was getting over some sort of cold. I only noticed her cough a couple of times. However, it was a fantastic show! She did not disappoint. A real living legend! She managed to transform the theater into a church. It was a great experience. Everybody was clapping, singing and shouting! Praise the Lord!
    HOw was the turnout and who composed the audience? Was it mostly younger people, or older people or a mix of age groups? Thanks for the report.

The theater holds a little over 500 people and it wasn't completely full. I would say there were about 30-50 seats left empty. It was mostly older people. With the exception of a teen who came with his Dad, I was the youngest person there. Mavis also did 4 or 5 other concert dates in our area.

M.J.'s SHUM ON!!! ,comes from Mavis!!!