[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: RIP Toad

RIP Toad

Some of you may have heard, but Toad [[who used to post here), has sadly passed away. No word yet on what happened, but I knew some of yall knew him. RIP Toad

Sorry to learn this Mickey. Toad and I sure had our differences, but that doesn't take away the talent this guy had, which I respected. Any word on what happened? I know Toad was an active member on Soulful Planet. My condolences to the folks there as well as Toad's family. The dude knew how to build fine guitars. I'm certain the angels are all lining up now putting in their orders for one of his creations. RIP, Toad.

Not sure what happened Ralph. From what I heard they found him leaning over his computer. Dont have any more details. I will keep yall posted. One story Toad told me was that Russ gave him a reel to reel first mix of Isaac Hayes's "Walk On By". Toad said it sounded even better than the LP version. Would have loved to have heard that.

Damn, that's bad news...I remember Toad. Didn't always agree with him but he knew his stuff. RIP...

I remember him, read some of his comments on Soulful Planet and marvelled at his luthier work.

Condolences to his family and friends.

My condolences go out.

Oh brother...........I remember him for his guitars.........
    God Bless..........

Sad news.

RIP Toad.

I too remember him. He made some stunning guitars. RIP

I met Toad and had learned more about him from Ray Monette. Toad's guitars are functional art. Ray asked me if I had heard about Toad's passing. He talked about how he and Toad played together some 53 years ago, if I did my may right. Later, I saw them play in Ann Arbor in Flash Geezer. Moments after hearing the news, I watched Ray play, what I believe to be, an axe Toad built for Ray. Toad's voice may be silenced, but his [[guitars) tones will continue to ring.

As a guitar player, I'd like to know more about Toad's guitars.

RIP I am sorry to hear this.

Latest info is that Toad's family will have a memorial service and then he will be cremated.

Last year I lost one of my best friends. He was a frequent visitor to this site and a avid supporter of the history of the Detroit music scene.
    I met Ed “Toad” Goetz when I was 12 years old. He pulled up driving his Cushman Eagle Scooter. I was impressed and thought he was the coolest kid I ever met. My cousin Bob Yockey had known him for a while and was aware that he played the guitar. Bob and I were in a trio called the “3 Acorns” This was cool stuff when you were 12 years old. Somehow we hooked up with Ray Monette, and we picked up a singer, Dave Kurth. We started out as the Del Royals but soon changed the name of the group to the “Electra’s” in response to the newest jet plane called the Electra. We played local dances and started our own teen dance club called “Cobo Small” [[local) We rented an IOOF hall, hired some off-duty cops, and bought a few cases of Coke and some potato chips. Voilá, a teen club was born. We charged a couple of bucks at the door and averaged 100 people each Saturday. Toad was self-appointed head of security, and he handled fights by screaming into the mike that someone had lost their pants. This was clue for the cops to intervene.
    We were rebels in as much as we played whatever we wanted and as loud as we could. We were at a Catholic school dance and the nuns complained about the volume. We packed up and left. For one summer we were the house band at the old “Village” on Woodward and West Grand Boulevard. It was our introduction to the underbelly of Detroit. Drugs, women of the night, and the last of the beatniks. We were only 16-17 and our parents would have dragged us out of there had they known what went on.
    Toad worked nights and weekends for his dad at the family radiator repair shop. It was a magical place with strange tools, torches glowing, and absolutely black with the soot of the torches. His dad , Ed senior, was a soothsayer and had advice on every subject. He was an avid alcoholic and drank copious amount of Seagrams VO with warm water. His capacity was legendary and probably helped Toad to not go down the same road of behavior. This was all during the Vietnam war. Eventually Toad was drafted and went to Fort Knox for basic training. He was actually on a bus taking them to the airport for his flight to Vietnam. His mother has worked furiously to prove that Ed senior was near death and the family desperately needed Ed to run the business. It worked, and he was pulled from the bus. After hanging out at Fort Knox, he finally was discharged and sent home.
    The Electra’s broke up and we all went our separate ways. Ray and I hooked up with Bob Babbitt and Mike Campbell/Champion. We played the topless bar circuit and sleazy clubs on Michigan Avenue. Ed worked at the radiator shop, and I moved on to a real job. Andrew ?????? replaced me on drums. Ray, Bob, and Mike soon got serious and formed the group Scorpion. Toad rejoined the group as a producer and played a large part in helping them develop enough music to cut a recording. Toad proved to be an excellent hand at engineering and did a great deal of the studio work for the album.
    Toad was married twice. In the 60’s he married Nancy. Shortly after the wedding, Nancy developed multiple sclerosis or MS. After years of fighting MS, Nancy lapsed into a coma. Through many years, Toad visited her almost every day until her passing. Ten years after her death he married Virginia, the love of his life. Virginia contracted cancer and again Toad stayed by her side until her death after 12 years of marriage.
    A list of Toad’s other accomplishments include:
    ü Successfully managed his family radiator repair business
    ü Invented and developed a revolutionary automotive cooling system
    ü Manufactured a line of fishing lures on automated equipment he designed and built One of his lures, Jethros Shotgun is highly sought after by collectors
    ü Owned and operated a sporting goods store
    ü Published a book on bass fishing techniques
    ü Helped form the group “Flash Geezer” with Bob Yockey, Ray Monette, Robert Jones, Spyder Webb, Treaty Womack, and Delbert Nelson
    ü He built guitars and basses. [[Bob Babbitt, Eddie Willis, Colton Weatherston, Bobby Eley, Mixey, Bob Yockey, and Ray Monette all play his guitars and basses).

Ed, [[Toad) was everybody’s friend and for many of us he was our banker as well. He was a mentor to many. He gave me a job when I was in the depths of alcoholism. I will never forget him for taking a giant chance in doing that. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of him, and I hope that never changes. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about him and end up with a big grin on my face.
    Toad was too well loved to every be forgotten

Average Arizona Drummer , [[Rick Bailey)

Nice piece on Toad, Arizona. But I feel, in all fairness, to make a small correction. Milan Bogdan was the engineer on all of the Scorpion recordings at Tera Shirma. Taking nothing from Toad's talent, I just like to give credit where credit is due.