[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I also agree..these explanations were BS;
    everyone knew that the Monkees were a manufactured group, not a symbol rising from the streets of the projects;
    The Supremes were celebrated as much for their vocals as anything else,which makes all that seem like a hoax in retrospect;

and it now turns out that the REAL TRUE MOTOWN SOUND was the sound of THE ANDANTES; THEY should have had the hits, at least then
    , they would have been able to perform them properly on tour; no wonder the hits were crunched together into a 'now you see it, now you don't' 'medley'..sheesh..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    everyone knew that the Monkees were a manufactured group, not a symbol rising from the streets of the projects;
    The Supremes were celebrated as much for their vocals as anything else,which makes all that seem like a hoax in retrospect;

and it now turns out that the REAL TRUE MOTOWN SOUND was the sound of THE ANDANTES; THEY should have had the hits, at least then
    , they would have been able to perform them properly on tour; no wonder the hits were crunched together into a 'now you see it, now you don't' 'medley'..sheesh..
    Jimi as a fellow Long Islander and former Detroiter, I have to tell you that you are misunderstanding things. The Andantes did NOT record all of the vocals on all of the Supremes records. Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson are on the majority of those old recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post

Yes... and the ironic thing is, altough the Monkees were manufactured, they ahd no backing singers substiuting for THEM... they sang on every one of their records, with no session background vocalists.

the andantes and the girl groups

Well lets be clear here the Supremes, The Marvelettes and Vandellas all had great hit records with their
    own backing vocals covering those songs well without the andantes thank you, It was just a company

decision to make the records sound smoother or records with a choral feel. Take for instance
    the songs come and get thes memories, beechwood 45789, please mr. postman, playboy, baby love, come see about me, heat wave, quicksand, nowhere to run, back in my arms again as well as the accompanying albums that accompanied these hits these songs are genuine girl group records, later on Berry and or the powers that be decided to bring the andantes in to glorify those tracks and in many cases it had already taken place on their songs but the backgrounds of the genuine singers are featured here and that is the foundation of the girl groups sound at MOTOWN, the andantes came in after the genuine sound had been created. AFTER hearing wha the Andantes did for Mary Wells records particularly the My Guy album it was inevitable that they be heard on the sups, marvs and vandellas later on as well as the velevelettes whether we like it or not, lets face it they had a beautiful sound, but it does not take away from what mary, flo, catherine, juanita, wanda, rosalind, annette, and betty created first. .