[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight

As an offshoot of the Gladys thread. Why don't these two get along? Gladys has stated that Aretha has been very cold to her on quite a few occasions over the last few decades.

I know two occasions. Oprah's fortieth birthday and the cheap shot Aretha took at her in her biography.
    What even caused the rift in the first place?

I love me some Ree, but my opinion of her is that she is very insecure when it comes to accepting talent in others. All the bitch fights over the years [Luther, Beyoncé/Tina, Gladys, Natalie Cole, and on and on ...] have really been a detractor from her greatness. There's no reason she should feel challenged by the talent of another artist. I just separate her personality from her artistry and enjoy what she has to offer.

ReRee is WAY too caught up in this "I'm the Queen of All Time" bizness. Why doesn't she just enjoy some chicken and waffles, macaroni and cheese, and barbeque... shooo.

ESTROGEN--- "It's a hell of a hormone" meow ,hisssssssssssssss, bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Women--??? You gotta love em!!!!!!!!!!

There can't be two cooks in the kitchen.

Aretha is pretty touchy about things and doesn't bow to anyone, but she hasn't had anyone beat up so she is one up on some of her colleagues.

She gets along with Diana Ross and that's about it. Maybe Mariah Carey? No one will call them the Queen of Soul so she's ok with that.

Aretha also had big issue with Mavis Staples. I think they've made nice nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    ReRee is WAY too caught up in this "I'm the Queen of All Time" bizness. Why doesn't she just enjoy some chicken and waffles, macaroni and cheese, and barbeque... shooo.
    She DOES! That's why she's gained most of the weight back!

I see says she gained 15 or 20 lbs. or something like that back. I think she said she's gotta kick the sugar again.

I saw her in concert a few weeks ago, and she looked great. I couldn't see any discernible weight gain. And of course, tv adds poundage as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if her weight fluctuates. It always has.

I know that Aretha has a "track record" for being difficult. With that said, one shouldn't automatically assume that this feud is soley because of her. Gladys is no saint.

How was her performance reese?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    How was her performance reese?
    She did very well. It was the longest performance I've ever seen her give, almost two hours, and with only a brief break.

Hey, It takes two to fight or argue. So far I have not heard Aretha say anything.

The last time I saw her, Aretha looked like ten lbs of sugar in a five lb sack.

Jobete is right--Aretha is all about Aretha and her maintaining her "crown." If you read any soul divas' memoirs, they will either not mention Aretha at all, mouth some inoffensive platitude towards her, or relate some nasty tale about her. I've yet to hear one positive thing about her, other than her obvious ability to sing.

The Eurythmics recorded a song with Aretha called Sisters Are Doing it For Themselves. Annie Lennox said Aretha was a much more "natural singer" [[than Annie), and Annie looked up to that innate ability. Which is probably why Aretha deigned to record with her.

Gladys Knight is no angel either. Love her voice, but can't stand the person.

Whats up with Gladys? Never heard anything negative about her.

I worked with Gladys when I was at Pye [[her Buddah days) and later CBS and always found her the ultimate professional. In fact, I'll go further- Gladys Knight and the three Pips were ALWAYS an absolute pleasure to work with; polite, accommodating, punctual and appreciative. And talented beyond belief - they remain the favourite among the many groups I've worked with over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Aretha is pretty touchy about things and doesn't bow to anyone, but she hasn't had anyone beat up so she is one up on some of her colleagues.

She gets along with Diana Ross and that's about it. Maybe Mariah Carey? No one will call them the Queen of Soul so she's ok with that.
    That's not true....stop it!

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    The last time I saw her, Aretha looked like ten lbs of sugar in a five lb sack.

Jobete is right--Aretha is all about Aretha and her maintaining her "crown." If you read any soul divas' memoirs, they will either not mention Aretha at all, mouth some inoffensive platitude towards her, or relate some nasty tale about her. I've yet to hear one positive thing about her, other than her obvious ability to sing.

The Eurythmics recorded a song with Aretha called Sisters Are Doing it For Themselves. Annie Lennox said Aretha was a much more "natural singer" [[than Annie), and Annie looked up to that innate ability. Which is probably why Aretha deigned to record with her.

Gladys Knight is no angel either. Love her voice, but can't stand the person.
    In Mary Wilson's book she talked about growing up with Aretha, Carolyn, the Franklins and how they all loved to hear Aretha sing at her father's church. I've never really heard of Gladys Knight being mean or mistreating people. She may not be a saint, but I have never heard her characterized as B*T*CH either.

I stopped buying anything by Gladys when she made IMO extremely offensive remarks about white racism being behind black artists not making as much money as white artists. Number one, black artists don't make less money, number two, people buy records according to style, not race. Blacks for the most part don't buy C&W, heavy metal or rock, and that isn't considered racism. I found it astonishing that having seen Gladys' shows, and the racially mixed crowd she draws, that she would insult her white fans this way. People are tired of being accused of racism. Do a search on the biggest selling artists of the 50's [[before I was even born)--nearly half were black [[Platters, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard) even though I've read over and over that 60's Motown broke the racial barriers. I really can't believe that I used to believe this crap. I've loved black music since I was a kid but I won't give poor, mistreated millionaire Gladys another dime of my money, since I am one of those evil whites.

Aretha has been a bit notorious with her "beefs" with other artists. She and Anita also did not get along for years but Chaka and Aretha are surprisingly very close. I always wondered what was the tiff between Gladys and Aretha. Gladys just said that Aretha had a problem giving respect and left it at that. I honestly believe that Aretha has a fear of being upstaged. A friend who was a member of the choir for the gospel segment of the 2008 Grammys told me that Aretha snapped at BeBe Winans during the rehearsals stating that he was singing on her lines. All hail the queen. Now I have NEVER, EVER heard any negativity about Gladys Knight's character. I've seen her in concert a few times and she has always been very personable and come off as very down to earth.
    BobC, I don't see Gladys publicly stating her frustration with a part of the industry that she's frustrated with as an example of her character as a person. That's an entirely different can of worms that I'm sure other artists could relate to whether they care to state it publicly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Aretha has been a bit notorious with her "beefs" with other artists. She and Anita also did not get along for years but Chaka and Aretha are surprisingly very close. I always wondered what was the tiff between Gladys and Aretha. Gladys just said that Aretha had a problem giving respect and left it at that. I honestly believe that Aretha has a fear of being upstaged. A friend who was a member of the choir for the gospel segment of the 2008 Grammys told me that Aretha snapped at BeBe Winans during the rehearsals stating that he was singing on her lines. All hail the queen. Now I have NEVER, EVER heard any negativity about Gladys Knight's character. I've seen her in concert a few times and she has always been very personable and come off as very down to earth.
    BobC, I don't see Gladys publicly stating her frustration with a part of the industry that she's frustrated with as an example of her character as a person. That's an entirely different can of worms that I'm sure other artists could relate to whether they care to state it publicly or not.
    I have heard that the little situation with Aretha and Gladys started when they were just teenagers and Aretha was traveling the Gospel circuit with her Dad, the Rev C.L. Franklin when they arrived in Atlanta. It seems that everyone wanted to introduce Aretha to Atlanta's young singing sensation, Miss Gladys Knight upon which Aretha clearly appeared unimpressed......hehehehehehe......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have heard that the little situation with Aretha and Gladys started when they were just teenagers and Aretha was traveling the Gospel circuit with her Dad, the Rev C.L. Franklin when they arrived in Atlanta. It seems that everyone wanted to introduce Aretha to Atlanta's young singing sensation, Miss Gladys Knight upon which Aretha clearly appeared unimpressed......hehehehehehe......
    LOL, now that sounds like her...just as she referred to Anita Baker as "a good songwriter" while she was climbing the charts. I had to crack up after she complained about Beyonce referring to Tina Turner as the queen. When the media asked her about it, she said "Beyonce who?" LOL...gotta love ReRe