[REMOVE ADS]

Dan and The Clean Cuts/Dan and The Clean Cut Clan-Anyone know much about this group?

This was a Soul group, ostensibly operating out of L.A. [[?), on Accent Records in 1964, and Scepter Records in 1965.

Their Accent release, ,was a very nice early Soul ballad. I'd bet it was from 1964, not too long before Dan and The Clean Cuts signed with Scepter Records. I have a few records by them on Scepter from 1965 and '66. I'm pretty sure that Accent label was located in Hollywood, CA. I read that Dan & Clean-Cuts were from LA., but I'm not sure where they came from, originally. Don Ralke, one of their Scepter producers, worked out of L.A. And Gene Page, one of their Scepter arrangers, a;so worked in L.A. I'm not sure who Bloor-Hoffman were, but they were one of their production groups. I don't remember Edward Jackson as an arranger. But, I guess he also worked out of L.A.

Their releases of which I know include:
    Accent 1116 "The Perfect Example"/bw "Broken Hip Party" 1964
    Scepter 1289 "One love, Not Two"/"Good Morning" 1965 [[First released on L.A.'s Enith Records)
    Scepter 12115 "Co-Operation"/"Walkin' With Pride" 1965
    Scepter 12141 "open Up Your Heart"/"Let Love Win" 1966

Here's a link to the You-Tube page on which you can hear the Accent A-side, and also "Co-Operation", and "Walking With Pride" from one of their 2 Scepter releases: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ia4O78r2E

Here's a link to "One Love, Not Two": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNke6zRCE8

By rob_k at 2012-01-03

By rob_k at 2012-01-03

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's a quote from Al Johnson, one of the group's members:
    "I sang with this group in the 60's. Members: Art Dansby, Ed Johnson, Paul ? and me, Al Johnson. Those were the good old days of R&B." Art Dansby producer on the Accent record, and group songwriter and creative leader, is clearly "Dan". Alonzo [[Lonzo) Coleman was lead on their Accent recordings, and it sounds like him on their Scepter cuts. Yet, he wasn't listed as a group member by Al Johnson.

I remember meeting Al Johnson, as a Soul songwriter, aspiring singing artist and drifter in and out of Soul groups at the time, in L.A. in the late 1960s [[maybe after he left Dan and the Clean Cuts-or IF he was a different Al Johnson).

Does anyone know anything else about the group, or Alonzo Coleman?
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm bumping this back up, in case someone here knows more information about this group.