[REMOVE ADS]

Shantel Baker releasing 'Greatest HIts

As Jimi LaLumia wrote in another thread regarding Shanetl Baker: "Don't you remember her platinum album BAKERS DOZEN?"

The tracklist was leaked early this morning, but this long-awaited album of stone cold classics, recorded by Shantel Baker of the Supremes [[and featuring backing vocals by Lumpy, Dumpy, and CoCo) will be released by Hip-O Select in February 2012 - to coincide with the observance of Black History Month.

Name:  Pearlie.JPG
Views: 2285
Size:  10.8 KB
    The CD is set to include:

"Nothing But Earaches"

"Down The Ladder To the Gutter"

"Everybody's Got The Right To Lie"

"Low Energy"

"Shantel Is Here And Diana Is Gone"

"In And Out Of Wal-Mart"

"Run, Run, Run"

"Feral Cat [[Never Meant To Sing)"

And... "When The Vomit Starts Gurgling In His Throat"

Says Ms. Baker of the experience of compiling these classics onto one truly Supreme CD: "When I first replaced Diana Ross and Freda Payne and became a Supreme, I always felt blessed. Now, I am happy to share my talent and joy of singing with my fans. I also want to let them know that Pearlie Salters was never a Supreme; she cannot wear the Supremes name."

Later in the year, Hip-O Select plans on releasing the long-lost live album "Live! At Mamuska's" from the legendary vaults.
    Last edited by Sugarchilehoneybaby; 12-30-2011 at 02:09 AM.

A Hip-O spokesman has commented that the projected Shantel Baker "Lost & Found" compilation has been deliberately lost again.

Thanks guys.....for starting my day off with a good laugh!

ROFL; SHnantel - may I ask you about SOS?--do they unfairly take bookings from you? Was Karen in the Supremes before or after you? I just get a little confused. Thx Miss Baker. You are THE Happening!! PS When might we expect I Hear A Caaa ching? Your fans await.
    Last edited by luke; 12-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Shantal Baker is The Supreme Supreme. Diane who?

Does anyone have a direct link to this????? I HAVE to pre-order this at the most expensive price out there - can't wait for Amazon or Deep Discount to offer a reduced rate!

I'm still hoping they find that rare version of her "An Asphalt Paving, First Sight Soul Shaking, One Night Love Making, Next Day Heartbreaking, Parking Lot Attendant Guy" but I guess Andy, George, and Harry have come up empty handed again.....

I really do hope they add 'Nothing But Heartburn' as a bonus track.

I can't believe "Never Came Today," "I'm Singin' In Shame" and "I'm Gonna Let My Voice Do The Shrieking" are not included on the set! Bummer!

I hear Capitol Records may release her Tina Turner tribute "Simply A Mess" to tie in with this as well.

I'm really disappointed because I heard the Andantes were added for sweetening to Lumpy, Dumpy and CoCo's background vocals on "In And Out Of Wal-Mart".

I also heard that Shantel was supposed to tour with Diana Ross for the Return to Love Tour. Shantel demanded $100 and a window air conditioner for her apartment, but the negotiations fell through...

I can't believe Diana wouldn't come out of pocket and meet her demand of $300 and central air for her Winnebago. I hear Pearlie was happy with the $1 offered to her and discount coupons to Country Kitchen buffet but her united front with Shantel cut her out of the tour too.

LOL!!!!! What a shame.

I also heard Shantel was going to do her own Supremes reunion tour with the Las Supremas Des Mostoles. Shantel once said, "The Las Supremas Des Mostoles keep the legacy alive..."

I like this game, can anyone play?
    I did, actually hear her extended re mixes of
    "Nothing But Food Stamps"
    "[[I'm Livin) Back In My Car Again"
    and of course, the monumental
    "Welfare Came Today!"
    ....FABULOUS.......

"I'm Living in Shame" should be Shantel's theme song!

CD Booklet Essay Leaked!

Reflections of "a distorted reality"

Motown has been fairly or unfairly labeled, depending upon who you ask, with underpromoting certain acts [[e.g. The Lewis Sisters) at the expense of furthering the careers of their marquee artists [[e.g. Diana Ross & The Supremes). Perhaps no other act stood deeper in the shadows of Motown than Shantel Baker. Her career has been an uphill struggle to gain recognition save a few close calls with the fame she so rightly deserves. A modest woman, she finds it hard to tell the tale of her youth in a tenement slum. How she started school in a worn torn dress that somebody threw out. How she knew the way it felt to always live in doubt and to be without the simple things. Chantel's mother was also a point of embarrasment to her during those years, always wearing a raggedy scarf around her head and her stockings down low to her feet, she just didnt know. Music would ultimately prove her comfort and salvation, particularly the sound of young america and three project girls like herself, the original Supremes. Diana's eye popping and shoulder shrugging, Flo's sassyness, and Mary's love of blonde wigs in performance inspired Ms. Baker to become a consumate performer. Like The Supremes, Chantel knew the struggle of being a no hit act and needing to steal bits from her competition to forge an identity that could survive in the cut throat world of entertainment. Ultimately, there was no YMCA stage high enough, no fried chicken/check cashing joint low enough, no parking space wide enough to contain her ambition to succeed. Taking a page from The Supremes playbook, Chantel found her signature sound with the production team of Bartles, James, and Colt 45. The lost classics they produced [[Where Did My Pitch Go, My Weave Is Nappy Without You, and I'm Gonna Make You Cut Me, newly remastered for this release) eventually led Miss Baker her to dream job, replacing Freda Payne in The Supremes. After a successful run through the drag bar and county jail circuit, Chantel decided to take the group back to basics to reconnect with their fans by mounting the successful 40th Anniversary Supremes Tour of strip mall parking lots which continues to this day. Lets all hope the road [[and adjacent parking lots) go on forever....

LOL!!! Thanks for sharing the leaked liner notes, Glenpwood!! Hahahahaha!

This Greatest Hits collection also contains some rare unreleased and album filler tracks!

- Tears Of Pain
    - He's Seventy
    - Who Could Ever Doubt My Talent
    - Everything Is Bad About Me
    - Mother F**k
    - Misery Makes Its Home In Your Ears
    - Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Hell)
    - When It's To The Top [[Still I Won't Stop Fooling You)
    - I Got Hurt [[Trying To Sing At A Supremes Convention)
    - Stoned Drunk

LOL!

You forgot a couple:

"The Sha La Shantel Bandit"

"Don't Let My Hep C Bother You"

"Where Did Our Dumpster Go?"

"There's Room At the Bottom"

"I Want To Be Tied Down"

"I Can Take My Eyes Off You" [[Pearlie Salters lead)

"With A Song In My Fart"

"Your Fart Belongs To Me"

"Going Down For the Thirtieth-Thousandth Time"

"Crabs Are Like An Itching In My Pants"

"Hang On Poopy"

"Dreadful! Dreadful!"

"I Should Keep It Hid"

"Tinkle Tinkle Little Me"
    Last edited by carlo; 12-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    LOL!

You forgot a couple:

"The Sha La Shantel Bandit"

"Don't Let My Hep C Bother You"

"Where Did Our Dumpster Go?"

"There's Room At the Bottom"

"I Want To Be Tied Down"

"I Can Take My Eyes Off You" [[Pearlie Salters lead)

"With A Song In My Fart"

"Your Fart Belongs To Me"

"Going Down For the Thirtieth-Thousandth Time"

"Crabs Are Like An Itching In My Pants"

"Hang On Poopy"

"Dreadful! Dreadful!"

"I Should Keep It Hid"

"Tinkle Tinkle Little Me"
    Not to forget that monster classic......" [[I'm Just) Stoned......Love"! hehehehehehe......!

Love you guys!

OMG, I love you guys! Love, love, love it and I can't stop laughing! I just logged in and to my delight, have discovered that we probably now have enough songs to make this project a BOX SET!!!

"Forever, Shantel"

I just spoke with Shantel's assistant, and he confirmed that Shantel has another treat in store for her fans: an album of Diana Ross solo hits! [[Though it ought to be duly noted that Shantel claims that Diana's solo hits were actually written for her and that Diana stole them right out from under her, with the help of her former boyfriend, Pedro.)

Here is the preliminary leaked track listing for "Tulle Electric":

1. Ain’t No Parking Lot Wide Enough
    2. My Mistake [[duet with Pearlie Salters)
    3. Do You Know Where’s I Was Going To?
    4. Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull Hangover
    5. It’s My Car [[And I Live Here)
    6. It’s Kind Of Too Late
    7. So Gross
    8. Pieces Of Sh*t
    9. Let’s Throw Up [[performed memorably in Holcomb Circle Park)
    10. Swept Aside
    11. Punch By Punch
    12. Delayed Reaction

lol!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to buy "Forever Shantel"!

Hopefully the box-set will also include some unreleased live recordings from her legendary concert,
    "Live in Central Parking Lot".

smark21 Guest
    Hopefully there will also be a live recording of Shantal and her Supremes of "Put on a Shitty Face" as performed in the parking lot of the Copacabana Massage Parlor and XXX Video Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    lol!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to buy "Forever Shantel"!
    Me too! Lucky for us, there is word through the grapevine that even more vaults tracks have been discovered! One listen to these, and it's hard to see why Shantal has been denied her rightful place in Motown history, as Glenpwood so accurately pointed out in his superb, well-researched liner notes to this much-needed box set "Forever, Shantel":

Everything Is Hood About You
    I Let Myself Go
    Automatically Moonshine
    You’re My Drunk Driving Wheel
    Chicken Bones
    Nappy Is A Grumpy Toad
    This Is Why You Don’t Believe In Me
    Reallly Bad Weather
    She’s My Man [[a tribute to Coco, the Supreme of indeterminate gender)

Unfortunately, these following songs were assigned to Shantel's Supremes, but no vocals were recorded:

- Another Empty Audience Completes Another Lonely Gig
    - Hate Me Forever
    - Here Are The Pieces of My Hair Extensions
    - Smacked By The Hand of Mary
    - The Hoes Of The City
    - The World Can't See Through My Ever-Growing Lies
    - I'm Just A Little Bit Nothing When Freda Falls
    - Lying Is Believing
    - Ain't I Gonna Get Paid
    - Three Day Journey Of Pearlie

HOWEVER!....there is a newly discovered 37 minute "Darling" version of "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone."

ALBUM COVER WAS JUST RELEASED!! So excited for this release!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love it, Bradsupremes!! lol!!

bradsupremes, it's a masterpiece!!!! Bravo! I'm predicting a very healthy first week sales, and I hear the pre-orders on Amazon have now pushed this wonderful package up to #7,723,334 in the R&B Albums category!!!!

Although I must say, I'm disappointed that "Crabs Are Like An Itching In My Pants" was not included on this release, as I truly feel it was a Grammy-worthy vocal tour de force by Shantel, with all its whoops and shrieks.
    Last edited by Sugarchilehoneybaby; 12-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Although I must say, I'm disappointed that "Crabs Are Like An Itching In My Pants" was not included on this release, as I truly feel it was a Grammy-worthy vocal tour de force by Shantel, with all its whoops and shrieks.

Would love to see the choreography/hand moves to this song! Poor Cholly would be spinning in his grave let alone Miss Powell!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    bradsupremes, it's a masterpiece!!!! Bravo! I'm predicting a very healthy first week sales, and I hear the pre-orders on Amazon have now pushed this wonderful package up to #7,723,334 in the R&B Albums category!!!!

Maybe it's a hidden bonus track?

The Greatest Hits will only tide me over until we get Shantel's solo and Supremes era albums expanded....

Swap Meet Supremes
    Where Did Our Dumpster Go
    A Bit Of Public Swimming Pool
    Tone Deaf Country Western & Pop
    We Remember Johnny Cochrane
    More Spliffs By The Supremes
    At The Crappa
    Not Fit For A Symphony
    Theres A Parking Space For Us
    Please Just Go Go
    Sing Dino Desi & Billy
    Badly Sing Rodgers & Hart
    Rejections
    Don't Love It, Child
    Live At Roscoes Chicken & Waffles
    Sing & Perform Farting Girl
    Join Tony Turner
    EBT [[Public Access TV Special SoundtrackTie In)
    Let My Pot Dealer In
    Way Off Broadway [[2nd Public Access Special w Tony & Delcina Wilson)
    Crap From The Pot
    Pure Hell [[Live From The Rubble of the Frontier Hotel)

Isn't Tony Turner managing Shantel and the girls?

Don't forget the unreleased albums....

- The Supremes Sing Bad & Flat
    - A Tribute To The Tramps
    - Around The Block with Shantel Baker & the Supremes
    - Pure Bronze
    - The Supremes And The Bathroom Sound: From Tallahassee To Omaha
    - Shantel Baker & The Supremes Sing Minstrel Classics
    - Secrets Revealed

Plus the unreleased live albums
    - Dead! Dead! Dead!
    - Live at Pond Tithoe
    - Live at the Roostergizzards '96
    - Live at the Crappa '97
    - Live at the Roostergizzards '97

Of course, who could forget the album when Barbara Martin rejoined the group and made it a quartet once again. She left before it was released because she was about to be a grandmother. You can hear her during the spoken portion of "He's Seventy."Name:  Shantel, Pearlie, Tangela & Barbara.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  53.7 KB

The Solo Years are less essential except for .....

Shantel Baker aka Ain't No Listener High Enough [[with iconic cover of Shantel in camel toe shorts and tube top eating a chicken wing)
    Lady Butchers The Blues
    Touch Me In The Morning Then Just Leave A Dollar On The Dresser [[scraped together from Shantel's Who's The Father Of The Baby lullaby sessions.)
    Why Do Fools Buy My Stuff
    Sow Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    The Solo Years are less essential except for .....

Shantel Baker aka Ain't No Listener High Enough [[with iconic cover of Shantel in camel toe shorts and tube top eating a chicken wing)
    You are brilliant! Iconic, indeed!
    Lady Butchers The Blues
    Touch Me In The Morning Then Just Leave A Dollar On The Dresser [[scraped together from Shantel's Who's The Father Of The Baby lullaby sessions.)
    Does "Who's The Father Of My Baby?" contain Shantel's soul-stirring remake of Shirley Q. Liquor's "Who Is My Baby Daddy?"??
    Why Do Fools Buy My Stuff
    Sow Electric

Before joining the Supremes, wasn't Tangela a member of Kmartina and the Blue Lights, the Philly girl-group most famous for their classic "I Bought My Talent from the Junkman"?

alert!!---Word is Tangela may go and Karen R join though Shantel still in negotiations with Ms Raag...

Any news on the forthcoming "Live At Roscoes Chicken & Waffles" Expanded Edition?

Rumors swirling that Pam Darden may join Santel for new group called Supreme MarveLLeTes.

Maybe midnight_johnny could have Shanel on his "Nightflight" show to promote the latest boxed set in the series:

"Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout, Shantel; 197?-19?? - The Supremes FINAL Final Sessions: The Freda Payne Years"

Hahahaha...