[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Was David Ruffin's firing from the Temptations justified.

I believe David Ruffin's firing from the Tempts was justified, he was out of control with his ego and thinking he was above the group in talent and vocal appeal. However, i think a suspension from the group would have been an option to see if he could have straightened up his act, but then again the group had quickly found a replacement there was little time in between I wish it would rain, or I could never love another and Cloud NIne, they found Dennis Edwards quickly, and Edwards replaced Ruffin just in time for the TCB debut in September of 68. Its been said David was not in agreement of the billing of the tv show and that was part of the problem that caused his quick exit.

justified or not, i always felt this was the end of the temps for me. the next era was just a sly rip off for me, and then one slow never ending death!

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I believe David Ruffin's firing from the Tempts was justified, he was out of control with his ego and thinking he was above the group in talent and vocal appeal. However, i think a suspension from the group would have been an option to see if he could have straightened up his act, but then again the group had quickly found a replacement there was little time in between I wish it would rain, or I could never love another and Cloud NIne, they found Dennis Edwards quickly, and Edwards replaced Ruffin just in time for the TCB debut in September of 68. Its been said David was not in agreement of the billing of the tv show and that was part of the problem that caused his quick exit.
    Well, the hard drugs had a lot to do with it. You can only take so much of showing up late, or not at all, doing drugs, having an attitude, not getting along with your fellow group members, demanding more pay, top billing, being a prima-donna...they had to fire him to wake him up. They probably would have let him back in if he had straightened up, but he never really did.

I liked the Temps from the beginning all the way up to the 80s. I felt the group went downhill after the album "A Song For You". It was Norman Whitfield's ego that did them in in the 70s. "Shakey Ground" was the bomb, all about the funk, and I love it, but the technology got in the way of their vocals. IMO, "Power" was the last great Temptations song. After that' it was just style.

The ironic thing is that Dennis Edwards behaviour wasn't perfect at the time [[though this info probably didn't find its way back to BG in Detroit).
    Dennis was in trouble with a big east coast radio DJ after he had taken the DJ's wife back to the group's hotel after a Contours show to 'party'. Because of this, the DJ refused to play any Tempts records on his radio show after Dennis joined the group [[the situation was resolved but the DJ & his wife divorced).
    David didn't take the sacking well & instantly formed a new group around himself & started taking bookings for the new outfit. David was quite quickly fetched back into the Motown family [[as a solo act) & his new group fell apart.

However, i think a suspension from the group would have been an option to see if he could have straightened up his act, but then again the group had quickly found a replacement...
    You've answered yourself here. They needed a replacement as quickly as possible in order to fulfil their contractual obligations. A temporary replacement would have required too much time and effort to be practical because of their vast repertoire and intricate choreography.

does the whole post ruffin era bother anyone? the temps could have still been the r/b group they were, without having to do such a blatant rip off of sly. up to that point motown led, after the company seemed to follow trends. yup, i release it is a generalization, but it seems basically true.

It's funny. The part you wrote about David being out of control with his ego and thinking he was above the group in the talent and vocal appeal sounds just like Diana Ross to me! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-27-2011 at 12:26 PM.

I don't get the "blatant rip off of sly" thing. Was Norman Whitfield greatly influenced by Sly Stone?....Is pig booty pork?..
    but so were at least a dozen other producers and ten times that as far as groups. Funk outside of the James Brown organisation was coming into it's own all over the place even at Stax and other companies. If you want to ignore a group
    after they lose or fire a prominent lead, that's your choice but I loved the Dennis Edwards era of the Tempts as well Damon Harris period replacing my idol Eddie Kendricks. Either way none of us can rewrite history, can we?...

yea, Marv but the important part is Diana Ross was a TOTAL professional, did not miss gigs, did not do drugs and followed Motowns[[management) direction.I thought the Temptations were blessed to find Dennis Edwards.They had a very contemporary style & sound & way more soul then Sly.

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    does the whole post ruffin era bother anyone? the temps could have still been the r/b group they were, without having to do such a blatant rip off of sly. up to that point motown led, after the company seemed to follow trends. yup, i release it is a generalization, but it seems basically true.
    It does not bother me one bit. The new style fit right in with the times. I don't look at it as some type of rip-off at all. Funk was "in" in the late 60s.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It does not bother me one bit. The inw style fit right in with the times. I don't look at it as some type of rip-off at all. Funk was "in" in the late 60s.
    you mean all of sly's "boo-boo-boos" were on other groups records? hmm ... perhaps this ancient head is getting my history mixed up, but i think not, because the minute i heard "cloud nine" i turned it off and put on "dance to the music"! sly was so cool. the temps began to sound like a group adrift! dennis edwards seemed like an imitation ruffin to me, and i had completely stopped listening to them when the sublime eddie kendricks left. but, on the other hand i will have to say that one of the two most spun motown records was of all time for me was and remains kendricks' "darlin' come back home". damn, i still play that song to death!

Nope, I probably have the longest tolorance of post david ruffin group. I like the tempts material up until 2001 .:\ After that It started to be more synthetic to me. Now, If the current one break up [[which is not my favorate), I just hope that Otis ends it there.

Tho, I could not stand it sometimes when it takes 3 minutes to get to the vocals in some of the Norman Whitfiled songs. I just fast foward to the vocals.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 12-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.

you mean all of sly's "boo-boo-boos" were on other groups records? hmm ... perhaps this ancient head is getting my history mixed up, but i think not, because the minute i heard "cloud nine" i turned it off and put on "dance to the music"! sly was so cool. the temps began to sound like a group adrift! dennis edwards seemed like an imitation ruffin to me, and i had completely stopped listening to them when the sublime eddie kendricks left. but, on the other hand i will have to say that one of the two most spun motown records was of all time for me was and remains kendricks' "darlin' come back home". damn, i still play that song to death!
    Why does it have to be a contest? It was all about people trying to do their own thing. The traditional R&B was over, at least for a while. Archie Bell & the Drells, The Isley Brothers, Parliament...it's just a shame that, aside from Norman Whitfield and Rare Earth, the Motown people just didn't have a clue. For the most part, they were still stuck on three-minute love songs.

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    Tho, I could not stand it sometimes when it takes 3 minutes to get to the vocals in some of the Norman Whitfiled songs. I just fast foward to the vocals.
    Really? I though it was the coolest thing for the vocals to come in much later. Don't you care about the music part, and the dramatic build up?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Really? I though it was the coolest thing for the vocals to come in much later. Don't you care about the music part, and the dramatic build up?
    I do like it in Papa was a Rolling stone and Masterpiece [[mostly cause I am a bit used to both songs and they have a great beat to them).

Why does it have to be a contest? It was all about people trying to do their own thing. The traditional R&B was over, at least for a while. Archie Bell & the Drells, The Isley Brothers, Parliament...it's just a shame that, aside from Norman Whitfield and Rare Earth, the Motown people just didn't have a clue. For the most part, they were still stuck on three-minute love songs.
    and I also agree with the other post you posted too.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 12-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I loved the Tempts when David was a member but I learned to love Dennis as a Tempt as well.

I`d hoped that they would promote Paul Williams as he had the most soulful voice.

Had David remained in The Temptations I believe that you would have begun to read in newspapers stories about the group...for all the WRONG reasons. The Tempts enjoyed a pretty clean reputation throughout their careers and generally maintained a positive image...at least so far as the public was concerned.

Even if Ruffin had cleaned up his act and stayed with The Temptations, the gradual change in popular music during the 70s was away from group harmony. Consider the Four Tops who remained a hard-working cohesive group for over four decades-- but by the mid 70s their hits were fewer and fewer [["Catfish" anyone, lol.) And by the 80s, well...for me, listening to great voices such as The Temps and Tops backed by synthesizers, was like being served fine wine in a styrofoam cup.
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-27-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 11902
Size:  21.1 KB
    David Ruffin forming his new group with members from outside Motown [[RCA/Pied Piper's Cavaliers), and David's recording for Groovesville [[Don Davis) is now less of a mystery to me, finding out that he was planning to leave Motown [[and was,apparently, not under contract with them, anymore [[being as he had to re-sign with Motown as a single artist [[which I had thought was only a formality-as Motown still thought of him being under contract-just not a member of his former group).

Robb, I was unaware of the RCA Pied Piper Cavaliers connection, so eventually tracked down on Youtube, which I'm posting in the event any one else was intrigued by your post on David Ruffin. cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpj_TUct6I

It was more than justified that the Temptations fired David Ruffin, it was essential

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Robb, I was unaware of the RCA Pied Piper Cavaliers connection, so eventually tracked down on Youtube, which I'm posting in the event any one else was intrigued by your post on David Ruffin. cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpj_TUct6I
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 11784
Size:  21.1 KB
    Apparently, David did those 2 things I mentioned above, in the short window of time after he was dumped from The Temptations, and he re-signed with Motown as a single artist. His new group [[I forget the name he gave them-but made up of the Cavaliers and himself), actually had a billing to show up at an appearance. But I believe it was cancelled when he re-signed with Motown. Maybe it was all a bargaining ploy?

His firing was justified but its funny how he and and Flo were both offered solo contracts when these things happened to them. Was Gordy trying to keep them quiet or did he think he could mkae money with them as well. Until I read Berrys book I didnt even know Flo had been offered a solo contract.

David's firing came as a shock to most of us at the time and dennis coming after was frowned upon at first[of course he carved out a nice legend in the group and i for one am greatful they got him]oh and when david had his little group after they were called[the fellas]that's how they were billed[david's ego no doubt]david used the temps to further his career and it worked[up to a point]the great thing about the temptations is that they have had so many era's with music that ranged from great[1962-1972]very good[1973-1983]good[1984-1987]to fair[1990-the present]that ther's something there for anyone who is a fan,as some have said they left along with david or maybe after dennis but whatever the case may be the temptations are an american institution and we are all greatful to have them in all their incantations..heck even i have said a time or two that maybe it's time for otis to shut it down but in my heart i'm glad he doesn't listen to that kind of talk because whnever i see or hear of something from the temps today it makes me proud because i almost feel like it's a part of me too and i know many of you feel the same way,and it's a hell of a thing to keep going[and having hits]after losing such dynamic singers[eddie-paul-david-melvin-dennis-ali-richard-damon-glenn]god bless em all as well as the guys who stand in thier place keeping a great tradition going today,whether we buy the songs now or now.....the temptations forever.

Lets say David didn't leave the group. What do you think would have happened differently?

We would still have had all the same songs except with David on lead instead of Dennis. Some may have sounded better, some may not.

Overall, in the scheme of things, I don't think it would have made much difference to the overall sound of the Temptations, assuming David's presence didnt destroy the group from within.
    If that had happened, we would have missed out on a lot of great music that followed.

By the Way, "Lady Soul" is one of my all-time favorite Tempts songs.

Let's put it this way: If David Ruffin had been worlking in any other profession, he would have been gone much, much sooner!

heck even i have said a time or two that maybe it's time for otis to shut it down but in my heart i'm glad he doesn't listen to that kind of talk because whnever i see or hear of something from the temps today it makes me proud because i almost feel like it's a part of me too and i know many of you feel the same way,and it's a hell of a thing to keep going[and having hits]after losing such dynamic singers[eddie-paul-david-melvin-dennis-ali-richard-damon-glenn]god bless em all as well as the guys who stand in thier place keeping a great tradition going today,whether we buy the songs now or now.....the temptations forever.

Overall, in the scheme of things, I don't think it would have made much difference to the overall sound of the Temptations, assuming David's presence didnt destroy the group from within. If that had happened, we would have missed out on a lot of great music that followed.

Very good posts and observations. David leaving the group was a bit of a shock, but then, that's what the sixties was all about. The Temptations were built upon a "group dynamic" that was relied upon and supported by Otis & Melvin for their continued success. They were friends yet highly competitive which worked against that dynamic not only with themselves but their producers as well. They knew they could sing before and after Ruffin, so it is what it is. Their early success was fueled by Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks and David was a welcome addition no doubt. His showmanship and stirring vocals made them bigger than ever. Together they were simply the best there ever was. Although some purists decry the addition of Dennis Edwards as heralding the end of the group as we knew it, Dennis's arrival and the producer reins being turned over to Norman Whitfield made them even bigger on the world stage and they went flying into the seventies hell bent for leather. The Temptations have continued to follow that group dynamic and as their latest album says are "Still Here". One of the most fascinating and heart breaking stories of the music business. One of the most consistent things in life is change, The Temptations have weathered the perfect storm and provided us with sweet music all these years. Simply remarkable.......

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Very good posts and observations. David leaving the group was a bit of a shock, but then, that's what the sixties was all about. The Temptations were built upon a "group dynamic" that was relied upon and supported by Otis & Melvin for their continued success. They were friends yet highly competitive which worked against that dynamic not only with themselves but their producers as well. They knew they could sing before and after Ruffin, so it is what it is. Their early success was fueled by Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks and David was a welcome addition no doubt. His showmanship and stirring vocals made them bigger than ever. Together they were simply the best there ever was. Although some purists decry the addition of Dennis Edwards as heralding the end of the group as we knew it, Dennis's arrival and the producer reins being turned over to Norman Whitfield made them even bigger on the world stage and they went flying into the seventies hell bent for leather. The Temptations have continued to follow that group dynamic and as their latest album says are "Still Here". One of the most fascinating and heart breaking stories of the music business. One of the most consistent things in life is change, The Temptations have weathered the perfect storm and provided us with sweet music all these years. Simply remarkable.......
    when david ruffin left the temptations and norman whitfield changed from his own original songwriting style to one that so obviously mimicked that of sly, all of the real steam that the temps had up to that time quickly turned the group from solid originators to followers. luckily both marvin gaye and stevie wonder had grown into capable artists who began to control their own careers and developed their original and highly idiosyncratic styles. the temps headed downhill along with most of the singer based groups and the rise of the complete self contained artist emerged. in essence the motown sound ended or perhaps better stated was incorporated into wonder and gaye who were free to go in new directions with the motown sound ingrained in the soul of their new sound.

[[this is a rather simplified version and reductive, but does show the general trend at motown, and in the rock world in general at this time.)
    Last edited by thisoldheart; 12-30-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: last sentence added

It is always tough dealing with artistic people who might generally be more tempermental than others - artists like David Ruffin; Otis Williams has turned the Temptations into an institution with his staying power and business sense; evidently he didn't have the singing talent of David or Dennis or Eddie but he had the business sense of Berry Gordy. Of all the Motown groups, the Temptations are the enduring success story and it is because of Otis.

So, yes, they did the right thing with David Ruffin and got rid of him.

But that is the same story with so many other artists and groups ~ if there is no discipline, as soon as the hits stop, the record company will not stick with them for long.

the temps headed downhill along with most of the singer based groups and the rise of the complete self contained artist emerged. in essence the motown sound ended or perhaps better stated was incorporated into wonder and gaye who were free to go in new directions with the motown sound ingrained in the soul of their new sound.
    Yes Marvin and Stevie changed as did the Temptations but to intimate that they went down hill is so far from the truth as to be laughable. We will agree to disagree .

In my opinion with all the issues that david had, he was guilty party. According to Dennis Edwards in an interview, they had agreed to bring David back.....that night he missed the show and they called Dennis back.
    David was a great lead singer, but the heart of the Temptations was Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. They gave the Temptations that sound.....Eddie was a great lead singer and a excellent background singer.
    Dennis Edwards in my opinion was just as good or better than David. Om the TCB Show he made "I'm Losing You" his own.
    Dennis made a lot of fans forget David.
    Ali Woodson and Theo Peoples in their own right were excellent

Glenn Leonard was the best replacement for Eddie

I only wish the Reunion Tour would have come 10 years earlier......I think it would have been a sucess
    PLUS Eddie's voice was stronger
    THE TEMPTATIONS ARE BY FAR THE GREATEST MALE SINGING GROUP

THE DOCTOR TEMPTATION

I am pleased to see that people on the forum are rational about DR's firing [[sometimes it's hard when you're a big fan). I am with those who believe his firing was absolutely justified, even though he is probably my second favorite male soul singer, behind Billy Davis Jr.

One thing no one has mentioned here is that David Ruffin really started acting up when Florence Ballard was fired from the Supremes. Berry Gordy was fed up with some of the youngsters he'd nurtured for years and thought of as family suddenly acting like spoiled prima donnas, making outrageous demands, not showing up for rehearsals, and genuinely turning into monsters. Berry hated what happened with the Supremes and the dismissal of Florence meant, in many ways, the end of the whole family feeling, the one for all and all for one mentality that Motowners once had. Berry was getting crap from her, Martha Reeves, and then David Ruffin started acting up. Berry's patience was thin at that point and he did not want to appear weak. He had to stand up and be the boss--and after the Florence fiasco he wasn't about to put up with David's crap.

And when David started doing drugs he became even more irrational and unpredictable. It was not an easy decision to put him out--tryst me, Berry knew the risk involved considering the fact that David was the lead on most of the Tempt's biggest hits, and their most theatrical performer. Berry knew what was at stake. He made the right choice. Later, in the 80's when he toured with Dennis and Eddie, David had become such a far-gone crack head that he was hallucinating and more unpredictable than ever. The week when he was found dead of a drug overdose, he had taken off with 60 k of the former Tempts money from a European tour. He more than likely spent it all on crack, or he was robbed when he was out of it. We'll never know for sure.

Sad sad sad. Have you all heard his album "So Soon We Change." I thought it was a masterpiece. His song "Break My Heart" had all the makings of a big hit, but David's erratic, drug-induced behavior made Warner Brothers weary of putting too much into him, in terms of promotion dollars. Self destructive doesn't even begin to describe David Ruffin.

Sad sad sad. Have you all heard his album "So Soon We Change." I thought it was a masterpiece. His song "Break My Heart" had all the makings of a big hit, but David's erratic, drug-induced behavior made Warner Brothers weary of putting too much into him, in terms of promotion dollars.
    Don Davis who produced the LP was very good at getting to the heart of Ruff's performance. I love that album.

I am pleased to see that people on the forum are rational about DR's firing [[sometimes it's hard when you're a big fan). I am with those who believe his firing was absolutely justified, even though he is probably my second favorite male soul singer
    Although they have the same initials..........I was hoping to keep the flames outta this thread....lol.....

Huh? Flames out of what? I wasn't bashing anybody--just telling the truth.

Break My Heart was a terrific song. Bruce did the arrangements on that album and another Don Davis Ruffin effort...Gentleman Ruffin. I was at United Sound and watched some of the vocal track being recorded. David seemed fine at the time.

^^ Gentleman Ruffin is my favorate album especially the song "I wanna be with you".

Yeah--David had an uncanny ability to rise to the occasion despite his substance abuse. I never saw him live, but I have never heard of him giving a bad performance. I've heard of him missing shows and all that--but if he was there, he turned it out.

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    His firing was justified but its funny how he and and Flo were both offered solo contracts when these things happened to them. Was Gordy trying to keep them quiet or did he think he could mkae money with them as well. Until I read Berrys book I didnt even know Flo had been offered a solo contract.
    Don't believe anything Berry Gordy says unless its bad.

dzMusica Guest
    Berry Gordy was a complete idiot. All they had to do was pair him and Martha as a duet team. As they both wanted solo success, had the 'great voices', and needed a boost for their solo careers. Done right, they would have made more money than Tammi and Marvin. But, in Motown fashion, they still would have been broke. At least they would have been drug buddies though. Lol

Huh? Flames out of what? I wasn't bashing anybody--just telling the truth
    Bob obviously you have misread what I said, I was in fact agreeing with you and never accused you of bashing anybody ? Ok Let me break it down for you. David Ruffin and a certain Motown Diva have the same initials......any thread that concerns her or her career usually goes up in flames...which this thread has not......jeez !
    Break My Heart was a terrific song. Bruce did the arrangements on that album and another Don Davis Ruffin effort...Gentleman Ruffin. I was at United Sound and watched some of the vocal track being recorded. David seemed fine at the time.
    Stubass we have talked about these records in the past, he also recorded a tune or two by Tony Hester during those sessions. I'd love to hear what they left in the can. "Let Your Love Rain Down on Me" was a killer cut, that sax solo eerily reminiscent of Jr Walker gets me every time.

Yes Marvin and Stevie changed as did the Temptations but to intimate that they went down hill is so far from the truth as to be laughable. We will agree to disagree .
    i think most posters here have trouble distinguishing their nostalgia from the larger history of music. i do adore artists for their past accomplishments, but realize when their heyday was over. but, it is alway rather painful to listen to more current records by musicians who are no longer making vital music.

very few musicians, especially in the pop/rock/r&b are to sustain a career much longer than twenty years. the stones didn't quite make 20 years. patti smith, 30 years with a ten year mid career break, dylan 40 years. ella fitzgerald, louis armstrong, leonard bernstein, and jazz or classical artists seem to have longer relevant careers.

but, emotion and reason are not something this site finds easy to reconcile!

Paladin--I wasn't being nasty. I didn't realize that the mere mention of Ross' name would illicit a flame war. I stay out of those anyway. If things start going psychotic, I tend to close the thread and move on.

I am a little surprised to read how many people didn't like Norman's work with the Tempts. "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" was the first Tempts song I ever heard, and I loved it as a kid--even today I think it's a classic.

Not that it is important ,but I recall the program "TCB" airing originally in December of 68.

True Diana followed the program more but her ego was out of control too-impacting the group terribly. Why did the Tempts have the power to kick David out while other groups didnt seem to have that power?

The Tempts put things up to a vote--whereas the Supremes never did. It's that simple. Berry wanted to pull Diana out of the Supremes years before she actually left, so even if M and F voted Diana out--they knew on a gut level that Motown would just cater to Diana and turn its back on the group. The Tempts always had multiple lead singers so their fate did not rest on one singer's shoulders. Unfortunately for them, both David and Florence acted in self-destructive manners which made their firings easier.

Most of the other Motown acts had very distinctive and well known lead singers. The Vandellas couldn't vote out Martha, nor could the Tops kick Levi out.

Paladin--I wasn't being nasty. I didn't realize that the mere mention of Ross' name would illicit a flame war. I stay out of those anyway. If things start going psychotic, I tend to close the thread and move on.
    I'm glad you caught that........... one of the reasons I don't even mention her name is that too often threads get side tracked by even discussing her, I have tried in all the years I've been here to stay far away from posting in those threads.....

I am a little surprised to read how many people didn't like Norman's work with the Tempts. "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" was the first Tempts song I ever heard, and I loved it as a kid--even today I think it's a classic.
    I'm not, I know quite a few folks who feel the same way. I never have, times changed they changed. Its that simple........I think one of the best things that ever happened to The Temptations were the competitive juices that flowed between Smokey & Norman Whitfield, that in and of itself was a by product of the environment at Motown. The end result cannot be denied, The Temptations under Smokey were famous and bonafide stars, under Norman they became World renowned "Superstars" no pun intended..........well maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    True Diana followed the program more but her ego was out of control too-impacting the group terribly. Why did the Tempts have the power to kick David out while other groups didnt seem to have that power?
    This is very true, but Diana Ross had a deep personal relationship with the owner of the company. David Ruffin did not.

I'm glad you caught that........... one of the reasons I don't even mention her name is that too often threads get side tracked by even discussing her, I have tried in all the years I've been here to stay far away from posting in those threads.....

I'm not, I know quite a few folks who feel the same way. I never have, times changed they changed. Its that simple........I think one of the best things that ever happened to The Temptations were the competitive juices that flowed between Smokey & Norman Whitfield, that in and of itself was a by product of the environment at Motown. The end result cannot be denied, The Temptations under Smokey were famous and bonafide stars, under Norman they became World renowned "Superstars" no pun intended..........well maybe...
    It also helped that the Temptations as a group were tremendously talented and would have continued to produce great music regardless of whom was writing and producing for them at that time. They were just that BADDDDDD!!!!!

Gordy saw Ross as the flag bearer, the masthead, the Queen Mother of Motown, and let's face it, she was[[and obviously still is based on the 9,000 threads here)...lol
    the only artist that was truly important to Gordy by 1967 was DIANA ROSS:
    The Supremes?...not so much, the 'group' concept became a tool to give Ross the 'cool' factor, the youth factor...
    remember[[those of us who do) groups were IN in the 60s, solo artists came into their own in the 70's...
    even ELVIS faltered in the 60's; maybe he should have joined Herman's Hermits
    and no one from the Tempts emerged as a 'personality all round' the way Ross .. certainly not David Ruffin, too compulsive and Eddie Kendricks was too laid back to be a true "STAR", with all which that entails..
    really, we, the fans, helped pick Ross: I know I certainly did back then
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 12-31-2011 at 03:58 PM.