[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross to be honored at 2012 Grammy Awards

Last edited by simplysupreme; 12-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.

It's about time!! And you know that she will get a tribute performance. It would be foolish if they didn't. I hope her work with the Supremes is included in the honor. I wonder if this now diminishes the chances of the Supremes getting a Lifetime Achievement Award...

Not before time!

Hopefully this might encourage Diana to do a new album.

Congrats to Diana. This is a long overdue award.

Unfortunately, I don't think they do anything special for the recipients during the broadcast. They will probably do a brief mention of the honorees. I would love to be wrong, though.

Several years ago, the Four Tops' received a Lifetime Achievement Award and they did a whole tribute performance just for them. Since Diana is an music icon, I can't see how they wouldn't do a tribute of sorts for her. Since her work has been ignored by the Grammys for nearly 50 years, it would be a slap in the face if they didn't do a musical tribute to her. If the Four Tops got a musical tribute and Sly & the Family Stone did as well, then it's a given that Diana will get one too.

The Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients get a song played and to stand up and wave at the ceremony, no live performance or speech. The Grammy Legend award winner is usually confused with this which gets the deluxe treatment. They usually honor 5 acts or artists each year.....

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    The Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients get a song played and to stand up and wave at the ceremony, no live performance or speech. The Grammy Legend award winner is usually confused with this which gets the deluxe treatment. They usually honor 5 acts or artists each year.....
    and your point is????

I believe Glenpwood is differentiating between The Grammy Legend Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Not being ugly about the award or dismissing it. I find it a great injustice that The Supremes and Diana won no awards. Most of the big artists of the Rock Era were never Grammy Favorites [[see Elvis who won only for Gospel Recordings and almost every Motown Act except Stevie Wonder) I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't get our hopes up for a 10 minute tribute segment to her like they do when they award the Legends Award. I do hope to be proven wrong since Ken Erlich produces the show every year and also was behind the VH1 Divas Tribute to Ross special.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Not being ugly about the award or dismissing it. I find it a great injustice that The Supremes and Diana won no awards. Most of the big artists of the Rock Era were never Grammy Favorites [[see Elvis who won only for Gospel Recordings and almost every Motown Act except Stevie Wonder) I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't get our hopes up for a 10 minute tribute segment to her like they do when they award the Legends Award. I do hope to be proven wrong since Ken Erlich produces the show every year and also was behind the VH1 Divas Tribute to Ross special.
    It took the Grammy people the longest time to acknowlege that rock and R&B was also music. During the sixties, they ignored it and kept giving the awards to MOR artists like Perry Como, Andy Williams, Henry Mancini etc.

As for this special award for Diana, the special invitation-only ceremony will be held during GRAMMY Week on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012, and a formal acknowledgment will be made during the 54th Annual GRAMMYAwards telecast, which will be held at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012, and broadcast live at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CBS Television Network. It could be that we will get nothing more than voice overs just before commercials saying who got these awards the day before. Hope I am wrong.

The year Stop in the Name of Love was nominated the Statler Brothers won for Flowers on the Wall. The year Baby Love was nominated Nancy Wilson won for How Glad I Am or some such song. Amazing.

My Grammy contact says when the Supremes were proposed for the Lifetime Achievement Award they did not hear from Diana Ross.

I would expect that this will end any prospect of an award for the Supremes.

The Four Tops won the Lifetime Achievement Award, not the Legends Award back in 2009 and they received a musical tribute. Actually it was Duke Fakir, Smokey Robinson, Jamie Foxx and Ne-Yo who did a 3 or 4 song medley. If they did one for the Four Tops, why wouldn't they do one for an music icon like Diana Ross. I will bet there will a musical tribute.

I can see it cutting down the chances of the Supremes getting a Lifetime Achievement Award, but they have been giving this award away to people who really haven't had much influence over music at all. I think eventually the Supremes will get one, but not as soon as I hoped.

I find it rather crappy that they won't give a Lifetime Achievement Award to the Supremes just because Diana Ross never responded. Do they not realize they are honoring the group, not the lead singer. If the group is good enough, give it to them whether Diana shows or not.

I'm not taking nothing from Diana,but The Supremes should have got a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award,[[a long time ago)
    Yes Bradsuprems,you're right about this, i remember this like it was yesterday,at this time it seemed like Diana wanted nothing to do with The Supremes,and maybe she had good reasons,but the Grammy people wanted to give The Supremes a Lifetime Achievement Award at one time,i'm sad for Mary Wilson,Florence Ballard,and Cindy Birdsong,Yes The Supremes should be the ones to get The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.i'm trying to
    Stay Positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'm not taking nothing from Diana,but The Supremes should have got a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award,[[a long time ago)
    Yes Bradsuprems,you're right about this, i remember this like it was yesterday,at this time it seemed like Diana wanted nothing to do with The Supremes,and maybe she had good reasons,but the Grammy people wanted to give The Supremes a Lifetime Achievement Award at one time,i'm sad for Mary Wilson,Florence Ballard,and Cindy Birdsong,Yes The Supremes should be the ones to get The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.i'm trying to
    Stay Positive
    Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon were recipients but no Beatles. Roger Daltrey, John Enwistle, Pete Townshend and The Who were all inducted. The Beach Boys but no Brian Wilson. Smokey Robinson but no Miracles. Go figure the method to their madness.

I agree with Brad; I think there will be some kind of tribute and it could be to Diana, but it might not be. It depends if she wants it for one.

I was surprised by this and I wished this would be the opportunity when the Supremes would stand together on a stage for the last time. And I guess that is not going to happen.

I think there is now more chance of a reunion than a Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes; and no, I don't think there will be a reunion either unless it's standing on some other stage some day.

all the recent Andantes type revelations certainly aren't going to help things, that's for sure;
    they probably feel that the Diana Ross honor extends to her 'body of work' which would include her status as the 'voice' of The supremes

Quote Originally Posted by dianesfan_1965 View Post
    and your point is????
    .....wow.....

Congrats to Diana on this great achievement.

Here's a little more info: The special invitation-only ceremony will be held during GRAMMY® Week on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012, and a formal acknowledgment will be made during the 54th Annual GRAMMYAwards telecast, which will be held at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012, and broadcast live at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CBS Television Network.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The year Stop in the Name of Love was nominated the Statler Brothers won for Flowers on the Wall. The year Baby Love was nominated Nancy Wilson won for How Glad I Am or some such song. Amazing.

My Grammy contact says when the Supremes were proposed for the Lifetime Achievement Award they did not hear from Diana Ross.

I would expect that this will end any prospect of an award for the Supremes.
    Is this gossip, fact or hearsay?

Roberta

It was from somebody that worked there; so their evidence is admissable.

It is hearsay coming from me but not hearsay coming from them.

Bottom line is I think that makes it accurate. It's just that even if the Grammys didnt hear from her, their communication might not have got to her. So, who knows.

It was never substantiated that she didn't want to be part of a Supremes ceremony; that was never said. People might have wondered though. At the time, it was thought she might not be all that keen on the Grammys.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    all the recent Andantes type revelations certainly aren't going to help things, that's for sure;
    they probably feel that the Diana Ross honor extends to her 'body of work' which would include her status as the 'voice' of The supremes
    To most people, she was indeed the voice, and average non-Motown-obsessed people often also think it was Diana's lead on "Stoned Love."

supreme_lady Guest
    Words cannot put into words how delighted I am in hearing this news, at last, Diana is finally going to gat a lifetime Grammy achievement awards, which she truly deserved, I really never thought we were going to see the day.
    I am jumping up and down with delight now and this news has certainly made my year, YIPEE!!!!! way to go Miss Ross.
    An excellent start to the new year

Only one more award to go and Diana would have recieve them all, the only one left would be the ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME to induct Diana as a solo Artiste. [[The Original Supremes, Diana, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard) has already been inducted as a group back in 1988).
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 12-22-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Diana Ross deserves every honor she can get! This woman did so much to bring changes in this country for racial
    equality by just being an entertainer. Before she and the Supremes entered some people's living rooms on their
    TV sets, they never even gave a thought or care about people of color. America fell in love with her and that
    really helped bring change as much as all the marches, speeches, and demonstrations.

I think it would be great if Mary and Diana took the stage together for this. It would be great publicity for them both.

With all due respect, I doubt Mary would want to show up to receive an award that is honouring Diana's solo career. If I was her, I wouldn't want to.

I don't care what the norm has been for past Grammy honourees...I agree with Brad. There will have to be some sort of musical tribute for Diana. If Diana has anything to do with it, she is not going to show up to the Grammy Awards only to get a 2 second shout-out before the commercial break. That's just the way she rolls. I think they will give her a nice tribute and rightly so.

I don't think Mary would show up either unless Diana invited her and Cindy to stand onstage with her which probably won't be the case at all, but it sure would be one hell of a surprise.

I think what we will see at the special invitation only ceremony is Diana thank everyone from the Grammy's to Berry Gordy to her children and most likely Mary & the Supremes for being apart of her career along the way.

As for the actual show, there will most likely be a musical tribute of artists performing her songs and/or Diana joining them on stage at the end. I wouldn't be surprised if Smokey Robinson introduced the tribute. It will probably be 1 or 2 Supremes songs and then 3 from her solo career with a video montage of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I think it would be great if Mary and Diana took the stage together for this. It would be great publicity for them both.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that dear BobC.

Roberta

I hope you guys are right that there will be a tribute on the Grammy show; but I'm not so sure. Alot of these artists skew to the old crowd and I'm not sure the TV guys want that.

I hope you guys are right that there will be a tribute on the Grammy show; but I'm not so sure. Alot of these artists skew to the old crowd and I'm not sure the TV guys want that.
    It's Diana Ross. She's a music legend. They are not going to skip giving her a musical tribute because she's an older artist. She transcends age groups and musical generations. I'm not buying the whole "old crowd" logic. For someone who has never won a Grammy, yet is one of, if not, the most successful black female singer in pop music, I would say it's a guarantee they are going to honor her.

The Lifetime Achievement Awards along with Trustee Awards, are presented at a ceremony the night before the Grammy Telecast at a different location. There is a segment during the televised Grammy program where these other award winners are mentioned. Occassionally there will be an appearance by the LAA reciepients, but generally not. It is not intended to provide publicity or promotion to the awardees or their former collaborators. There are several of these awards presented each year and supporters of ALL the reciepients would like to see their favorites on stage at the televised program but obviously the Grammy telecast is mostly there to recognize the best of the best from the prior year.

I'm not saying I think it will happen--but I'm a very forgiving guy and I tend to assign that character trait to everybody. I know about all the RTL crap and imagine that DR and MW are as over it as I am. That doesn't necessarily mean the two of them like each other or would ever work together again [[and frankly, I think a reunion show/concert is no longer possible or even a good idea at this point). I'm just saying that stepping onstage together, just to acknowledge what they once were to each other, would be a fantastic moment. As long as they didn't scratch each other's eyes out.

I'm not saying I think it will happen--but I'm a very forgiving guy and I tend to assign that character trait to everybody. I know about all the RTL crap and imagine that DR and MW are as over it as I am. That doesn't necessarily mean the two of them like each other or would ever work together again [[and frankly, I think a reunion show/concert is no longer possible or even a good idea at this point). I'm just saying that stepping onstage together, just to acknowledge what they once were to each other, would be a fantastic moment. As long as they didn't scratch each other's eyes out.
    Nice gesture perhaps...but A Grammy Award presented to Diana Ross is not the appropriate venue for a kumbia between Diana and Mary. If Mary chose to be in the audience to see Diana receive her award, that would also be a nice gesture, as would Diana recognizing The Supremes as an important part of the reason she is receiving this award would also be a nice gesture, but I'm sure that Mary would be the last person to want to rain on Dianas parade for an honor she is receiving celebrating HER entire career, which of course does include her association to The Supremes..but also a lot more.

One observation that fans on this forum have made/expressed again and again is the negativity associated with Diana Ross and Supremes fans. It's been stated on numerous occasions that for the most part, Diana and the Supremes have a dramatic and negative fan base that have prevented the ladies from receiving any sort of accolades from the industry, as well as preventing any sort of reunion from happening. This honour shows that all of those things are NOT true. If it was not for the fans, perhaps Diana would not have received this honour as soon as she is. Does anyone recall how on the Oprah show last February, Oprah asked Diana if it bothers her that she hasn't ever received a Grammy Award as much as it bothers her fans? People take note of these things. For years, the fans in the various online communities have expressed their dissatisfaction with the fact that Diana has never received a Grammy. Oprah took note of it and made mention of it on national television. It makes me wonder if she is FINALLY receiving this honour because of us fans and because of the mention that was made on the Oprah show? Of course Diana has earned it, but I like to think that we helped to make this happen.

I think what is important to remember that is Diana is finally getting the recognition she deserves from the Grammys, but also that they are honoring one of our very own Motown legends. As Diana once said "When you honor me, you are really honoring the Motown legacy." So this is an honor for Diana, the Supremes, and Motown.

supreme_lady Guest
    "Carlo" and "bradsupremes", I agree with you both, you've made a very good point there

Whilst of course I am thrilled that Diana is finally getting the Grammy life-time achievement award and it was long over due, one question I want to ask and I have seen people mentioned it as well and I have been trying to get my head around is:-

We know that Diana had been nominated for 12 Grammies but has never won, so if she's never won a Grammy, then how come she eligable for a Grammy life time Achievement Awards??? I would have thought that the life-time awards would have been given to people who's won tons [[or at least several) of the Grammy Award, but then again maybe it doesn't work that way but I am just curious as to how this works because I have not really paid any attention to the Grammy awards in the past, kind of lost any respect for the Grammy awards, that I never bother with it when it comes around.
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 12-23-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supreme_lady View Post
    Only one more award to go and Diana would have recieve them all, the only one left would be the ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME to induct Diana as a solo Artiste. [[The Original Supremes, Diana, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard) has already been inducted as a group back in 1988).
    putting a mature middle of the road show biz entertainer in the r&r hall of fame only dilutes the honor. diana & the supremes are already appropriate members as a legitamate r&r group. let's get the miracles & the marvelettes in!
    Last edited by thisoldheart; 12-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.

If it were an award for The Supremes, then yes. Diana solo, no way..
    Last edited by Sugarchilehoneybaby; 12-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.

I don't know how it will all work out but I do hope that Mary is the one that gives it to her!

Penny

Maybe Shantel Baker will accept the award on Diana's behalf? Or better yet, she could possibly perform her 9 minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love" as part of the musical tribute...
    Last edited by carlo; 12-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Not a big fan of the grammy
    but glad she made it.

Barbra Streisand was given a full tribute when she got hers. Ditto Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan. And all got to speak.

That's the very least they can do for Diana, given how they criminally snubbed The Supremes and her solo work.

supreme_lady Guest
    I am hoping they will give Diana a full tribute as well, due to the fact that the Grammies has ignored here solo work as well as her incredible work with the Supremes for so long, that's the least they could do for her, I think it will be like an insult and a slap in the face if they just did a quick mention of her name, my thought would be what's the point of the award in the first place?

This is Diana's first Grammy in her 50+ career and in my opinion, it should be a special occassion. I guess we just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by supreme_lady; 12-24-2011 at 04:28 AM.

supreme_lady Guest
    By JENNY STEVENS - December 23, 2011

What's she been up to?
    Motown legend and sequin devotee Diana Ross is finally being awarded a Grammy, aged 67. She'll pick up the award for her contribution to music at the forthcoming awards ceremony in February. Even though she's been nominated a number of times over her 50-year career, which spanned from her finding fame in the 1960s with The Supremes to launching her solo career in 1970, she's never won.

She's never won a Grammy?!
    Nope. Clearly being the most successful female music artist in history according to the 1993 Guinness Book of Records, selling over 100 million records, and racking up 18 US number one solo records – including Chain Reaction and Ain't No Mountain High Enough, hasn't been enough to win her a gong. But maybe they were just saving it for this lifetime achievement award. She's been named alongside late Apple founder Steve Jobs and hip hop pioneer Gil Scott-Heron for their "brilliance, contributions and lasting impressions on our culture", said Grammy President Neil Portnow.

Good for her.
    Quite. Especially as the diva's not had the easiest time over the years. She's been in rehab with drink and drug problems, and was also said to be devastated by the death of her close friend Michael Jackson, whose children she's next in line to be guardian of if anything happens to Michael's mother, Katherine Jackson.

Wonderful and long-overdue!

From Melba Moore - On Facebook

Melba Moore

Congratulations to the Bombastic Legendary Artist Boss Lady Diana Ross and My friend
    On her lifetime Achievement Grammy award she has never won a grammy in her whole career
    But has sold millions of records graced the globe and a diva of an entertainer its well deserved
    People will talk but they dont know her personally she still skips to the bank even in 2012 .Love Melba
    http://www.melbamoore.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I don't know how it will all work out but I do hope that Mary is the one that gives it to her!

Penny
    Now that's the very best remark about the subject I've read in a long time. If only...

Don't know if Mary ever shows up at the Grammys but it would be great if she were in the crowd and the camera panned to her.

But I haven't heard anything indicating this will even be televised other than in announcement form.

Melba Moore

Congratulations to the Bombastic Legendary Artist Boss Lady Diana Ross and My friend
    On her lifetime Achievement Grammy award she has never won a grammy in her whole career
    But has sold millions of records graced the globe and a diva of an entertainer its well deserved
    People will talk but they dont know her personally she still skips to the bank even in 2012 .Love Melba
    http://www.melbamoore.com/
    How cool of Melba!

I read that the Grammys were hoping Adele would sing this year and they had begun work on putting a show together. Diana could easily be on tour even if the Grammys want to do something live on the show for the Award.