[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Ann bogan

Ann bogan

For the past few days I have been listening to The Marvelettes Forever More Vol. 2. Although I had converted 3 of these lps for my iPod, I don't think I've anticipated a release like this for quite some time and I have really been enjoying nice clean sounding cds. At first, I didn't know what disk I wanted to play first. Every since "I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can" came out on the Sophiscated Soul LP, I've always loved it and usually play it a few times consecutively but for some odd reason, I never paid attention to who the soloist was. Now, I'm focusing on Disk 4, and I like everything that I've heard. I must say that Ann Bogan's solos have really stood out for me. I had been reading she was the solo on "Like A Nightmare" by the Andantes. She really has some pipes. Is she still living?

So ironically, I thought I'd give the Marvelettes a rest for a little bit and I decided to play The Spinners "The Early Years." This is a compilation featuring Tri-Phi label mates "The Spinners," "The Five Quails" and "The Challengers." Imagine my surprise to see and hear Ann Bogan as lead singer of The Challengers. It makes one wonder why she didn't become a solo artist in her own right. Her voice is amazing!

P.S. I thought I had Ann's complete name capitalized in the Title.
    Last edited by caliluv; 12-21-2011 at 02:46 AM.

It is possible that "Hold Me Oh My Darling" and "There Are Things" are lurking in the vaults.

If so, I sure hope those two songs surface. I would love to hear them.

Harry wrote on Vol 2 that there are no more completed Marvelettes tracks in the vaults so that's our lot! Ann is still very much alive. After the Marvelettes disbanded in 1972, Anne Bogan went on to lead an RCA trio known as Love, Peace & Happiness, which was part of the group New Birth. Ann settled into a secure nine-to-five job in Cleveland. She is alive and well in Cleveland, Ohio, and sings with a gospel group.

Those two songs were assigned to Ann Bogan but there are no guarantees that they were finished.

Check out Love, Peace & Happiness' RCA single "Strip Me Naked" with Ann on lead.

a poster on SDF had commented on another thread that Ann Bogan does not care to discuss her Motown or Marvelette days.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Those two songs were assigned to Ann Bogan but there are no guarantees that they were finished.
    How do you know that the two songs were assigned to Ann?

Ann's a great, under-rated singer. This is one of my favourites:

Wow, never heard that before. Love the track, and the label, too!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  21.1 KB
    That was Gwen Gordy Fuqua's and Harvey Fuqua's label after Billy "Roquel" Davis left and they disbanded Anna Records in 1961. It was always part of the Gordy/Motown family. They recorded in the Snakepit at Motown. And weren't their offices also in the Grand Blvd. complex?

Are there any compilations of the Tri-Phi or Anna discographies? I have a great one of early Berry Gordy productions called "Motor City Roots," but there doesn't seem to be any on Tri-Phi that I see on Amazon.

Copley I trawl through all the recording details at my disposal and record them.They are listed in Tammi Terrell`s "Come See About Me"

Copley I trawl through all the recording details at my disposal and record them.They are listed in Tammi Terrell`s "Come See About Me"
    What would we do without you archivists?

Thanks, will take a look.

I found this on "The Spinners - The Early Years." This is a compilation featuring Tri-Phi label mates "The Spinners," "The Five Quails" and "The Challengers."

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    I found this on "The Spinners - The Early Years." This is a compilation featuring Tri-Phi label mates "The Spinners," "The Five Quails" and "The Challengers."
    How's the sound quality on the CD overall?

Motown, this is why I posted. I didn't know Ann was anything other than The Andantes and Marvelettes and just after listening to Forever More, I was estatic to find these songs by The Challengers featuring Ann.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    A poster on SDF had commented on another thread that Ann Bogan does not care to discuss her Motown or Marvelette days.
    Sorry to bring up another ancient thread [[Lol!) but I have read that Ann Bogan was one of few ex-Motown artists that Ian Levine did not record. Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 2261
    That was Gwen Gordy Fuqua's and Harvey Fuqua's label after Billy "Roquel" Davis left and they disbanded Anna Records in 1961. It was always part of the Gordy/Motown family. They recorded in the Snakepit at Motown. And weren't their offices also in the Grand Blvd. complex?
    Robb, apologies in advance for asking, as I know this has been discussed many times before, but I'm still confused as to the relationship the Anna and Tri-Phi Companies had with Motown; so could you clarify for me what happened to their respective master tapes? Were they taken over by Motown, and if so, are they still in the Motown Vaults? If they are, then could/should they not have been included as part of the Complete Motown Singles series?

Now getting back to the subject of this thread, Tri-Phi had two subsidiary labels - Harvey and H.P.C. and the last Harvey release featured a single by Harvey [[Fuqua) and Ann "What Can You Do Now" / "Will I Do". Is this another record featuring Ann Bogan?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sorry to bring up another ancient thread [[Lol!) but I have read that Ann Bogan was one of few ex-Motown artists that Ian Levine did not record. Does anyone know why?
    She probably couldn't ignore the smell of the cheese in his production work....

Anne, I understand is back in the church exclusively and prefers to forget she ever
    was an "entertainer" singing the "devil's music" as some call popular R&B and rock and roll.
    That's her choice and God bless her...But as I've told an ex before, you can take your love
    away from me but you can't erase my memories! Anne Bogan's vocals whatever setting she
    was in were the TRUTH.....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    She probably couldn't ignore the smell of the cheese in his production work....

Anne, I understand is back in the church exclusively and prefers to forget she ever
    was an "entertainer" singing the "devil's music" as some call popular R&B and rock and roll.
    That's her choice and God bless her...But as I've told an ex before, you can take your love
    away from me but you can't erase my memories! Anne Bogan's vocals whatever setting she
    was in were the TRUTH.....
    Hehe, "cheese"
    Some [[some) of his stuff was good and he deserves an A for effort, Lol

Oh, and thank you for the answer, splanky - another one taken by religion, eh? Lol

I find it hard to listen to some of the music recorded by Ian Levine and the ex-Motowners but conversely some of it is also very good indeed. Great credit has to be given for his project because it gave us chance to hear again many of the performers that didn't always receive the limelight at Motown. As well as that, he has put together some excellent and invaluable videos of these artists and made them available on YouTube. One of my faves is of the Velvelettes singing "He Was Really Sayin' Something" [[the one with the purple-ish dresses).

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I find it hard to listen to some of the music recorded by Ian Levine and the ex-Motowners but conversely some of it is also very good indeed. Great credit has to be given for his project because it gave us chance to hear again many of the performers that didn't always receive the limelight at Motown. As well as that, he has put together some excellent and invaluable videos of these artists and made them available on YouTube. One of my faves is of the Velvelettes singing "He Was Really Sayin' Something" [[the one with the purple-ish dresses).
    Yes, the rerecorded versions of old Motown songs are interesting [[his videos are fascinating and precious) but cannot live up the originals! I often find that the original Motorcity-written songs were much better in comparison, and that the lesser-known Motown artists recorded the better stuff at Motorcity. Frances Nero's "Footsteps Following Me" is an absolute CLASSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Robb, apologies in advance for asking, as I know this has been discussed many times before, but I'm still confused as to the relationship the Anna and Tri-Phi Companies had with Motown; so could you clarify for me what happened to their respective master tapes? Were they taken over by Motown, and if so, are they still in the Motown Vaults? If they are, then could/should they not have been included as part of the Complete Motown Singles series?

Now getting back to the subject of this thread, Tri-Phi had two subsidiary labels - Harvey and H.P.C. and the last Harvey release featured a single by Harvey [[Fuqua) and Ann "What Can You Do Now" / "Will I Do". Is this another record featuring Ann Bogan?
Views: 1294
    Anna Records was started in early 1958, and owned by Billy "Roquel" Davis, Gwen and Anna Gordy. Berry had no direct involvement, other than writing some songs together with the owners, and leasing a few of his productions to the company. They disbanded in spring 1961, when Billy and Gwen became estranged, after Gwen had started dating Harvey Fuqua, who had been brought in as another producer. Gwen had previously been dating Billy. Billy kept the Anna master tapes, and released many of the previously unreleased songs on his new, Check-Mate records, which became the Detroit subsidiary of Chess Records, run by Billy, from mid 1961 through Spring 1962.

That's when Chess closed Check-Mate down, and brought Billy to Chicago to run their Soul music production and be A&R man. He took some of the Anna/Check-Mate artists with him [[Ty Hunter, Tony Clarke, Willie Kendrick, Jackie Beavers, Ruben Fort, etc.). Berry Gordy's Motown signed others [[David Ruffin, Lamont Dozier, Anna Gordy, Allen Storey, Winehead Willie Copeland, etc.)

Gwen Gordy and harvey Fuqua started their own record company, Hardye Productions, which included Tri-Phi Records, and subsidiary labels, Harvey, HPC [[Hardye Production Co,), and Message Records [[Gospel label). They had an office at Motown's headquarters, and recorded in The Snakepit. When they were enfolded into Motown in mid 1963, both Gwen and harvey got some Motown stock, and many of their artists were signed by Motown [[but some were not). The masters were NOT taken into Motown, but were still held by Harvey and Gwen. I don't think we know what happened to them. Only a few of them were bought by Motown [["Cleo's Mood". "Brainwasher" and a few other Junior Walker recordings, and "That's What Girls Are Made For" by The Spinners). We didn't see the main bulk of the Hardye masters in The Motown Vaults. It's uncertain what happened to them [[according to Universal Motown representatives.

Yes, The "Ann" in the "Harvey and Ann" duets [[Harvey 121) was Ann Bogan.

Robb, quite a lot of Tri-Phi recordings [[maybe 40 or so) found their way into the Motown Vaults, including some alt takes and completely unreleased stuff. I've been looking into these recently, wearing my Ace hat of course, and hope to bring Ann Bogan fans good news in due course.

However it's far from being a complete set of Tri-Phi masters, and for the most part what we have is just from acts that were signed, or at least auditioned, by Motown, including, as you say, a lot of JW material - virtually his entire second album amongst other things. And as you also say, we just don't know what happened to most of Fuqua's tapes.

Keith

Did Ann have two sisters, Katz and Ellen?

Was "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" Ann's first full lead on a Marvelettes' song?

[[Love a bit of that!)

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;353483]Was "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" Ann's first full lead on a Marvelettes' song?

Tom, it was her first lead on a released single, so as far as I'm aware it was probably her first actual lead on a Marvelettes song, but someone else on here may be able to confirm that for sure. I believe that there is possibly nothing left in the Motown Tape vaults by the group that's pending release, so if she had recorded a lead on another earlier track it would surely have been released by now.

The link below [[taken from this website) may be informative for you along with the Wikipedia entry on the "history' of the group.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1190426644

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelettes

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Tom, it was her first lead on a released single, so as far as I'm aware it was probably her first actual lead on a Marvelettes song, but someone else on here may be able to confirm that for sure. I believe that there is possibly nothing left in the Motown Tape vaults by the group that's pending release, so if she had recorded a lead on another earlier track it would surely have been released by now.

The link below [[taken from this website) may be informative for you along with the Wikipedia entry on the "history' of the group.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1190426644

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelettes

Enjoy!
    Johnny, you have only gone and done it again and answered my question brilliantly, thank you very much! I don't know a lot about her but she was a very good, very able singer indeed.