[REMOVE ADS]

Can anyone help identify this recording? Who is it? Where is it from?

A friend posted this link of Facebook. He said it is from an acetate found somewhere in the City of Detroit. Didn't get specific about where.

http://soundcloud.com/peoplesrecords...rthern-soul-10

Anyone recognize it?

Larry

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  21.1 KB
    Wow!!! That's definitely a Detroit recording. Sounds like 1967. There are several recognisable Detroit session players on that [[including Detroit Symphony Orchestra violin players [[who played on Motown, Golden World, Solid Hitbound and Thelma sessions, and seem to be some Motown regular session players as well. The lead singer's voice sounds very familiar [[but I can't place him, just yet. The background voices sound eerily like The Temptations [[but that can't be). It sounds like a late Ric Tic recording [[after Wingate sold Golden World to Motown). The writing sounds like Ric Tic style. The flip side is a lot more funky, and is a female)sounding a little bit like Little Ann. It sounds a little bit soundwise like an early Westbound cut. It will be interseting to see if anyone can actually identify it.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-07-2011 at 02:39 AM.

That's a great pair of recordings and yes 67-68. The flip actually sounds a bit like Darrow Fletcher to me, production wise as well. It's the more familiar of the two so maybe it was issued.

Whatever it is get your friend to have it professionally copied [[no need to clean it up, that's better done when going into production) then the sound will be preserved as best as possible for posterity and when the rights have been established it can gain a legitimate release, all parties [[including the acetate's owner), being happy.

It's a great artefact and would fetch a lot of money from a Northern Soul DJ/Collector. I'd love to own it, but more so would like to see it eventually released to the public for their edification.

Many thanks to Dave for pointing this out to me.

Ady
    Last edited by ady_croasdell; 12-07-2011 at 05:38 AM.

My pleasure Ady, someone suggests that the B side was recorded by Dianne Lewis on Wand, while the other is a different version of Tommy Rodgers 'Tell it to the wind'. Cheers Chalky
    I prefer the A side you're right these need preserving and according to Chalky these were put up by Brad
    Last edited by dave_clegg; 12-07-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: additional info

Silly me, that's why I know it we put it out on Kent a year or so again. Diane Lewis on Wand.

Yeah, defo a different vocal by Diane and it still sound like Darrow to me, at low res at least. Still a desirable object but not as much as there are alternate versions available