[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Motown Sound: The Complete Albums, Singles & More

From today's MusicTap:

On February 7, Hip-O Select will release The Motown Sound:The Complete Albums, Singles & More featuring music from Earl Van Dyke.

It's been a long wait since first announced, but I'm sure it will be well worth it. Thanks Harry & Team!

More information?

I'm glad MusicTap and its followers are keen on getting more info on this one but it's way too early to start posting track lists etc. We're not in design or final mastering stages yet - but the set promises to be a good one!

Wonderful news! Something I've been waiting for for years. I've always wondered why it has it taken so long to reissue these revered recordings.

Fantastic news! I've learned that an Earl van Dyke box set was announced many years back, but never materialised. I'm glad the project wasn't abandoned altogether. I'm very much looking forward to this set.

RossHolloway Guest
    This should be an interesting release. Can't wait for more details.

Wonderful news pj1. I hope it will include the James Jamerson tracks - I`m fizzing at the bung.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Wonderful news pj1. I hope it will include the James Jamerson tracks - I`m fizzing at the bung.
    Can't wait to hear this. We have enjoyed a lot of great releases this year.

Two questions, however. Did Van Dyke have more than one album? I know the "Motown Sound" and I think there might have been a later one, but I don't recall if it was actually released or not.

Next question. Is "fizzing at the bung" the same thing as "frothing at the mouth?"

Inquiring minds...

Earl had a later album called [[I believe) THE EARL OF FUNK.

It means I`m really pleased Kenneth. It`s the bass work of James Jamerson that makes Motown so interesting for me.I find his playing more rewarding than the vocals.

OK, OK... the basic outline is:

- That Motown Sound [[LP, stereo, no room to do mono & stereo)
    - Earl of Funk [[LP, stereo, sounds fake live but is truly live-in-Detroit with added applause)
    - Several non-LP singles
    - Live track from Motortown revue In Paris
    - "... & More" !

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post

- Earl of Funk [[LP, stereo, sounds fake live but is truly live-in-Detroit with added applause)
    - Several non-LP singles
    - "... & More" !
    I too am fizzing at the bung!

RossHolloway Guest

- Several non-LP singles
    - "... & More" !
    Harry is this going to be single disc or two disc collection? It doesn't sound like there are any unreleased material when I bet there is a ton..not to mention live material.

Two discs. Before I even looked at adding material it had be two, since That Motown Sound is 34 minutes and Earl Of Funk is a whopping 54 minutes. [[I pity the engineer who had to create the original vinyl cutting master). That still leaves close to 70 minutes of extras; i.e., non-LP singles **"& More."** [[Ahem.)
    Last edited by hwume; 12-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Intrigued to know more about the 'and more' on this. Are we giving away any spoilers!!

This sounds very interesting :-)

RossHolloway Guest
    Two discs. Before I even looked at adding material it had be two, since That Motown Sound is 34 minutes and Earl Of Funk is a whopping 54 minutes. [[I pity the engineer who had to create the original vinyl cutting master). That still leaves close to 70 minutes of extras; i.e., non-LP singles **"& More."** [[Ahem.)
    Excellent. This should be great. Does anyone know off hand how many non-LP singles there are?

Nine if you count "The Flick parts 1 & 2" as two. There are at least two more James Jamerson solos so there must be enough for a third disc. I`m a dreamer.

Good on you Kenneth!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Nine if you count "The Flick parts 1 & 2" as two. There are at least two more James Jamerson solos so there must be enough for a third disc. I`m a dreamer.

Good on you Kenneth!

Do you know what they all are?

"Soul Stomp" / "Hot`N Tot" S.35006, "I Can`t Help Myself" S. 35014, "The Flick Parts 1 & 2" S. 35018, "6 By 6" / "There Is No Greater Love" S. 35028 and "Run Away Child, Runnin` Wild" S. 35059.

- Several non-LP singles
    - "... & More" !
    So I guess this won't include the stuff they did as the "Twistin' Kings" right? Oh well, sill looking forward to "Earl of Funk" though!

Hopefully not jboy it`s not their best work.

Roger you forgot.

Soul 35009 All For You/Too Many Fish In The Sea

Sounds like a nice mellow compilation...
    Last edited by KegtapperII; 12-02-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Saving my pennies....Paulo xxx

They are on "That Motown Sound" Kegtapper.

No Twistin' Kings, I can tell you that. The set encompasses the recordings when Earl Van Dyke was the Motown band leader.

There are a few quality recordings of the Joe Hunter-led band that were not recorded under the Twistin' Kings banner - that would be whole 'nother collection.

Much as I'd like to, can't really go into more detail about the forthcoming 2-CD EVD set until I am further along with production. But I'm loving it - and y'all will too.

Maybe with a studio version of "Heartbreak" ?

I hope there's an unedited studio jam of The Flick [[my absolute favorite)

According to "The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 5" there are 3 studio versions.One unreleased version has "slangy asides". This may be what you want Fan."The Earl Of Funk version is live.

Actually, I prefer the version of "All For You" that was issued on the stereo album so that is good news. Looks like it will be well worth having.

Red face

That Motown Sound, one of my favorite LPs from the 64-65 era. I was lucky enough to find a sealed 7" reel to reel copy of this.
    HW - would love to have the Chocker Campbell big band album too sometime. HITS OF THE 60's. It was released around the same time.
    Great that EARL OF FUNK is getting the Hip-O nod.

RossHolloway Guest
    Just re-read that EVD overdubbed a version of Sammy Ward's Breadwinner that hasn't been released. Hopefully this gets included in this collection too.

Rob, the Choker Campbell "Hits Of The Sixties" is available along with "That Motown Sound" and EVD singles etc. on a Marginal release.

Harry, as "That Motown Sound" will only be a two cd. set, I respectfully request that you omit the tracks from "The Complete Motown Singles", "Best of The Funk Brothers" and "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". This would leave more room for other goodies and hopefully increase sales for the aforementioned.
    Regards Roger.

Oh yes thanks, I have that [[shhh) Marginal release, but would love an official UME one!

Rob, there is an album "Shades Of Blue" plus three others by Choker Campbell sitting in the vaults that I read some time ago.So we can live in hope.

Wow that is the first time I had heard of that. Till then I will dig out that Marginal CD, I forgot I had that one. I am not sure there is much interest in the big band stuff. They never have done anything with Workshop Jazz either, short of the singles included on the yearly singles sets. Some collectors have sent me Lp burns of a lot of the Workshop Albums, and a few were issued in Spain, probably Lp transfers.

Listened to the marginal CD yesterday, gawd, the sound was awful. Glad I have the Stereo vinyl copies. Will be good to have decent masters of Earl Van Dyke anyway.

MTV has the track listing up now.

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/vand...lbumId=2803435

This looks like a great release from the track list! Wow, "The Flick" Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4. And here I thought only James Brown had a 4-part single in "Make it Funky." Can't wait to get this one.

It looks like two tracks from "Best of the Funk Brothers: 20th Century Masters" were omitted, "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" and "What's Going On." I'm guessing that is because the instrumental tracks are actually credited to the Temptations and to Marvin Gaye, respectively, and because those tracks are available in other packages. At least on Amazon, they show as being credited to the individual artists as opposed to the rest of the tracks on "Masters" which are all credited to Earl Van Dyke.

I remember the instrumental version of "Papa," and think maybe it was even the B-side of the single. Not sure I remember the instrumental of "What's Going On," though I'm sure it's been released on one of the deluxe packages of Gaye's album since then.

Does anyone know, am I correct that these tracks are just the instrumental versions of the songs which were on the Temptations and Marvin Gaye's original LPs?
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    The set doesn't include Breadwinner. It's listed in TCMS Volume 4 as being done.

Great news thank you booty.A fairly predictable line up with some very mouth watering unreleased material including the other James Jamerson solos. I can`t wait for February. There are bound to be some who are a little disappointed, Ross it be on the next "Cellarful".

Very, very excited!! Can't wait!

Amazon now have this scheduled for release on 13th. March. Hip-O have yet to feature it.

Price drop @ Amazon.co.uk to 12.89 pounds
    Just got an update when I logged in - also item in my basket has been reduced to reflect new price

My bung has fizzed over.

A brief update:

As most of you know, the original announced - well, leaked - release date has moved. I will have a firm release date in the coming week when the final approved master is delivered.

The set's title has been altered slightly - the word "...Singles" is deleted, so the final title is now 'Earl Van Dyke / The Motown Sound: The Complete Albums & More.' Had to do that, as technically the collection will not include absolutely every single - there will be no single version of "The Flick," long or short; we are instead including a supremely worthy alternate take. [[Discographers, please note: we discovered that the single version, while noted in TCMS V5 as "the final version" recorded, is actually Take 1A - Take 1, plus overdubbed studio ambience and chatter - in reality the first version recorded.)

The alternate featured in the new collection is a re-cut, shown on the session sheet as Take 3. It is an extraordinary jam - deeply funky, much more relaxed and together than the "straight" version that became the single.

Yours in Motown,
    HW

Thanks Harry for that wonderful news it`s got me fizzing at the bung again.

This project will be late March, and whether the official release date is March 20th or 27th will be certain in a few days.

Whitney RIP
    Last edited by hwume; 02-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.