[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes - 50th of "Postman" celebrated in the Wall St. Journal!

Both stories - brief and expanded - mention the forthcoming Vol. 2 set:

here...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=marvelettes

and here...
    http://www.jazzwax.com/2011/11/inter...-anderson.html

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Both stories - brief and expanded - mention the forthcoming Vol. 2 set:

here...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=marvelettes

and here...
    http://www.jazzwax.com/2011/11/inter...-anderson.html
    Thanks for the links. Interesting info in the jazzwax link: Apparently Wanda was the one who would have sang lead on Where Did Our Love Go if the group hadn't passed on it. She would have been the right choice.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Thank you for posting these links. How wonderful that the group is receiving such kudos in such a journal of prestige!

The stated 5 girl line up in the jazzwax interview is wrong.

Katherine is far right. Georgeanna is left of Gladys.

Wanda definitely would have been the right choice for WDOLG.

Its a shame that the Marvelettes are just now getting this attention but I am glad its happening. I wanted Gladys to live to see all of this.

Great articles.

It's interesting how these facts get criss-crossed. In this article Katherine states they turned down "Where Did Our Love Go" in favor of "Locking Up My Heart." I think in Marc Taylor's book "The Original Marvelettes," it says they turned down what became the Supremes first big hit in favor of "Too Many Fish in the Sea," because it had so much instrumentation and percussion, which appealed to Gladys.

I think this is also stated in the book "Girl Groups," except it also says the song they turned down was "Baby Love!"

Maybe we need a fact check...

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great articles.

It's interesting how these facts get criss-crossed. In this article Katherine states they turned down "Where Did Our Love Go" in favor of "Locking Up My Heart." I think in Marc Taylor's book "The Original Marvelettes," it says they turned down what became the Supremes first big hit in favor of "Too Many Fish in the Sea," because it had so much instrumentation and percussion, which appealed to Gladys.

I think this is also stated in the book "Girl Groups," except it also says the song they turned down was "Baby Love!"

Maybe we need a fact check...
    As the years pass, it is interesting to read the new facts or slants that come out.

LOCKING UP MY HEART was written and recorded a full year before WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO. But since both are HDH productions, Katherine most likely just got mixed up.

Lamont Dozier has written that the track for WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO was done in Gladys' key, which was why it ended up requiring a lower vocal from Diana when the Supremes finally recorded it.

In any event, it is nice to see the Marvelettes getting this attention. I look forward to the release of the later albums, as those are the recordings that I enjoy the best by them.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Its a shame that the Marvelettes are just now getting this attention but I am glad its happening. I wanted Gladys to live to see all of this.
    My feelings exactly! However,Kate and Wanda are still here so its not all in vain. They still deserve more attention! As for 'WDOLG' I love Gladys but Wanda would've been awesome on that track.

Thanks for a great thread..Paulo xxx

Harry....great links.....thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    LOCKING UP MY HEART was written and recorded a full year before WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO. But since both are HDH productions, Katherine most likely just got mixed up.
    Maybe she meant "You're My Remedy", which was released only a week before "Where Did Our Love Go".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Maybe she meant "You're My Remedy", which was released only a week before "Where Did Our Love Go".
    But "Remedy" is a Smokey Robinson song...and I think the first one to use Wanda on A-side lead as I recall.

"Where Did Our Love Go" was passed up to record "Too Many Fish In The Sea". Gladys like the bongos and rhythm of the track. "Where Did Our Love go" did make a lot of noise for the Supremes but it was Actually "Come See About Me" That got the strongest reaction and a spot on the Sullivan show

Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post
    "Where Did Our Love Go" was passed up to record "Too Many Fish In The Sea". Gladys like the bongos and rhythm of the track. "Where Did Our Love go" did make a lot of noise for the Supremes but it was Actually "Come See About Me" That got the strongest reaction and a spot on the Sullivan show

I liked "Come See About Me" better too.

Both "Too Many Fish In the Sea" and "You're My Remedy" are much stronger songs than "Where Did Our Love Go", but not as strong as "Baby Love".

Come See About Me got them onto Sullivan because it was their third consecutive #1,indicating that they weren't one of the thousands of 'one hit wonders' that came and went, year after year...this indicated that the girls were sticking around,and that Diana Ross was something special..

It wasn't about Diana Ross then. Congrats to the Marvelettes.

it wasn't about Diana Ross then?...lol...someone should have told the camera men

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Come See About Me got them onto Sullivan because it was their third consecutive #1,indicating that they weren't one of the thousands of 'one hit wonders' that came and went, year after year...this indicated that the girls were sticking around,and that Diana Ross was something special..
    Where did you get all of that from? LOL!!!!

Congratulations to all of the Marvelettes and their families!