[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marvin Gaye - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby [[ The Middle Period Marvin)

We've discussed Marvin's masterpiece, "What's Going On?" and what an album that was! He also put out some excellent recordings during what I call his "Middle Period" roughly between 1966-70. Here is a good example of what I mean. "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby". Why did you like this record? What others from this time period did you like?

Last edited by marv2; 11-17-2011 at 07:32 PM.

all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    all of them!

No Jimi! That's too easy! We must approach this subject academically, hehehehehehe! Come on, give me just one of your favorites from this period off the top of you head. I 'll start. Another gem of mine was "That's The Way Love Is", remember that one?

As a kid, I had a special fondness for "Chained"

actually, "Too Busy Thinking..." if you must know...

Yesterday really shows Marvin's vocal talents - so much more feeling in his version than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    As a kid, I had a special fondness for "Chained"
    Oh Soulster, you picked a great ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    actually, "Too Busy Thinking..." if you must know...
    I liked the tom tom drum rhythm and Marvin's cool, laidback delivery on this one most. Always brings to mind summer for me. Just soooo cool!

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Yesterday really shows Marvin's vocal talents - so much more feeling in his version than the original.
    I am going to have to look that one up. Thanks Rovereab!

Im glad someone started this thread! This has always been my favorite Marvin period he was classy and smooth and the arrangements of the background singers were great. My favorite being Aint that Peculiar and this one his Andantes [[or whoever they were) didnt sound like Mr Bill like they did on the Diana Ross and the Supremes records. I have always suspected Marvin may have had a hand in producing these songs. I like the Whats Going On phase but he sounded drugged up to me then I liked him when he sounded vibrant with Tammi and this era.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Im glad someone started this thread! This has always been my favorite Marvin period he was classy and smooth and the arrangements of the background singers were great. My favorite being Aint that Peculiar and this one his Andantes [[or whoever they were) didnt sound like Mr Bill like they did on the Diana Ross and the Supremes records. I have always suspected Marvin may have had a hand in producing these songs. I like the Whats Going On phase but he sounded drugged up to me then I liked him when he sounded vibrant with Tammi and this era.
    Stephanie, I too will admit right now and right here that this period of Marvin Gaye's career was my favorite with songs like "Take this Heart of Mine" and "Unchanging Love"! These songs were built or made for his voice and demeanor.......C_O_O_L!!!!! I would also suspect he produced a lot of these songs based on the almost gospel like backing vocals.

In those days I loved Take This Heart Of Mine and One More Heartache [[Smokey songs, if I remember correctly), I'll Be Doggone, Little Darling [[I Need You) and Ain't That Peculiar [[at least three different mixes existing). All those hits are on "Anthology Series - The Best Of Marvin Gaye" [[2CD, 1999) - still available on Amazon.com.

"You" and "Chained" were cool R&B, but were more or less buried under the duo successes with Tammi. Ever taken a good listen to the backing vocals of Gladys & The Pips on the first one?

Grapevine, Busy Thinking and That's the way... were the epitomes of Norman Whitfield's writing and producing of the last years of the sixties. They were released on 45 in the aforementioned order, which I never understood. After the massive world wide hit Grapevine, That's The Way would have been the perfect follow up, but Motown released Busy Thinking instead.

Did we mention "Pretty Little Baby" yet? I believe they used the backing track for a Christmas song Marvin performed on "Shindig" I agree Robbert about "You" getting lost a bit in the shuffle between Marvin's recordings with Tammi Terrell at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did we mention "Pretty Little Baby" yet? I believe they used the backing track for a Christmas song Marvin performed on "Shindig" I agree Robbert about "You" getting lost a bit in the shuffle between Marvin's recordings with Tammi Terrell at that time.
    The Christmas song recorded over the "Pretty Little Baby" track is called something like "Purple Snowflakes." It's on the "Christmas in the City" Motown compilation, I believe. The track doesn't really work, in my opinion, for a holiday song...a little too much in the minor key, too downbeat.

My favorite song - and album - from this period is "That's the Way Love Is." Always loved the cover as well, and not a bad track on the LP. No filler, all red meat!

I agree that this was a great period for Marvin, as it was for all of Motown, and he got some great material to work with. I especially liked "That's the Way Love Is" and even more so the fantastic album cut "Seek and You Shall Find."

i love the end of the road and for us both i'll be concern off the lost and found. goosebumps soul at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The Christmas song recorded over the "Pretty Little Baby" track is called something like "Purple Snowflakes." It's on the "Christmas in the City" Motown compilation, I believe. The track doesn't really work, in my opinion, for a holiday song...a little too much in the minor key, too downbeat.
    That's the song I was trying to remember. Thanks Kenneth.

That's the song I was trying to remember. Thanks Kenneth.
    Sure, Bro!

^One of my favs outside of his duets and what was mentioned[[Heard It Through the Grapevine & Thats The Way Love Is).

That's The Way Love Is

[[Norman Whitfield/Barrett Strong)
    Ah baby
    After many tears fall from your eyes
    A thousand times you ask yourself why
    The one guy you love has departed
    You're left alone and broken-hearted
    Love just comes and goes
    How long it's gonna last nobody knows

[Chorus:]
    That's the way love is, baby [or honey, or other endearing term]
    [[That's the way love is, sugar, how it is)
    That's the way love is, baby
    That's how it is

I know you're walkin' down a lonesome road
    And your heart is carryin' a heavy load
    I know you feel like you ain't got a friend [[ain't got a friend)
    And your whole world's cavin' in [[cavin' in)
    Ah, but now is the time to be strong [[to be strong)
    You better forget him now that he's gone [[now that he's gone)
    Remember...

[Chorus]

[Instrumental]

Listen to me, little darlin'
    The road of love is rough sometimes
    But don't let it get the best of you
    I've been hurt by love so many times
    I know just what you're goin' through
    You wish you were never born
    You better forget him now that he's gone

[Chorus]

Wipe away your tears
    Love is here today and gone tomorrow
    All your joys turn to sorrow
    One day gladness, and the next day sadness
    [...and fade]

The main favorites of mine from this period are ,
    GRAPEVINE
    YESTERDAY
    That's The Way Love Is
    TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MY BABY

They are my top favorites because I feel they are perfect tracks...., from Marvins vocals ,to the arrangement of the strings ,the performance of J.J. ,the background vocals ,the rest of the FUNK BROS and the individual production and recording.

The next group which I hold in high regard are the "ORIGINAL" VULNERABLE tracks on "The Marvin Gaye Collection" box set ,which are not the same as the tracks on "THE MASTER" box set or the CBS release of VULNERABLE. They were worked on through this period, which I assume is from the "In The Groove"/"Grapevine" album up to "WGO". That also would include the "Love Starved Heart ,Lost And Found CD , as well as tracks from CELLARFULL and MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN CDs. I have some favorites from them...that's if we are going that deep into this subject.

It's like marv said ..........."We must approach this subject academically, hehehehehehe"

If we gonna talk bout MARVIN , then lets TALK BOUT MARVIN...................

Like the words of TTWLI , marv posted above..........written by Whifield-Strong , vocal produced by Whifield and Gaye, the strings and vocals have a combined feeling of acceptence/defeat , but life goes on ,shown again in MARVINS future production of a song written in that same period , but reworked by him later , "JUST TO KEEP YOU SATISFIED" . Accept that it's to late.......................
    Marvin is deep..........there is no overview here.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 11-18-2011 at 04:13 AM.

robertt, I always believed it was The Originals on backing vocals on that album...... thanks for correcting and crediting Gladys Knight and The Pips. I knew Marvin had taken a special interest in the Originals before producing them, and my favourite song from that album is "Every Now And Then". I am still under the impression that it is The Originals on those terrific backing vocals on this one. Right or wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B891SPEOyrw

Interesting that Obie of Four Tops took "What's Going On" to Marvin and Marvin wanted to record it on The Originals!!!!!

http://performingsongwriter.com/marv...hats-going-on/
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-18-2011 at 06:06 AM.

I am going to have to look that one up. Thanks Rovereab!
    Here it is marv2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LVKGNEPnOE

It sounds like it was recorded back to back with Abraham, Martin and John!

Abraham, Martin & John...........still sounds as fresh and beautiful as the first time I heard it! Also Cloud Nine from That's The Way Love Is album........so funky!!

Thats The Way Love Is and Grapevine were great songs yet they both were interpreted in the same manner, dam near the same song but I love then both..........

You, Chained, One More Heartache, Aint That Peculiar, and Lil Darling were all big favorites.

Take this Heart of Mine has a special place in my heart and mind. I was growing up fast and played the hell of this cut on my portable record player. I always thought it was suited for the Temptations but I was glad Marvin made it a classic Motown Sound recording.

Marvin's track with Tammi that ends all tracks was Your Precious Love........truly a great song.

Marvin rules.....

How about 'One More Heartache', if is hasn't been mentioned already. Very jazzy Marvin.

You, Chained, One More Heartache, Aint That Peculiar, and Lil Darling were all big favorites.
    Hey John give a brother a little credit will ya ? LOL.......................

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    The main favorites of mine from this period are ,
    GRAPEVINE
    YESTERDAY
    That's The Way Love Is
    TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MY BABY

They are my top favorites because I feel they are perfect tracks...., from Marvins vocals ,to the arrangement of the strings ,the performance of J.J. ,the background vocals ,the rest of the FUNK BROS and the individual production and recording.

The next group which I hold in high regard are the "ORIGINAL" VULNERABLE tracks on "The Marvin Gaye Collection" box set ,which are not the same as the tracks on "THE MASTER" box set or the CBS release of VULNERABLE. They were worked on through this period, which I assume is from the "In The Groove"/"Grapevine" album up to "WGO". That also would include the "Love Starved Heart ,Lost And Found CD , as well as tracks from CELLARFULL and MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN CDs. I have some favorites from them...that's if we are going that deep into this subject.

It's like marv said ..........."We must approach this subject academically, hehehehehehe"

If we gonna talk bout MARVIN , then lets TALK BOUT MARVIN...................

Like the words of TTWLI , marv posted above..........written by Whifield-Strong , vocal produced by Whifield and Gaye, the strings and vocals have a combined feeling of acceptence/defeat , but life goes on ,shown again in MARVINS future production of a song written in that same period , but reworked by him later , "JUST TO KEEP YOU SATISFIED" . Accept that it's to late.......................
    Marvin is deep..........there is no overview here.
    Daddy, you know what? For years, since the sixties I always thought the beginning lyrics to "That's the Way Love Is" were " As the bitter tears fall from your eyes......" not "After many tears fall from your eyes" as I posted from lyrics I found online. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Here it is marv2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LVKGNEPnOE

It sounds like it was recorded back to back with Abraham, Martin and John!

Thank you Rovereab for this.

I really like "Change What You Can" and "Tear It On Down" with the wonderful J.J. bass lines.My favourite album is "Moods Of Marvin Gaye" I`m a sucker for this Motown period.I seem to prefer albums with the scroll stereo motif.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I've been waiting on someone to point that out! But the andantes sounded like Mr. Bill on everyone's recording! That's how I can tell which groups' recordings actually have the group!

You can't go wrong with Marvin from any era! Even when he tried to make a crap album [[Hear My Dear), he couldn't succeed! Who can resist "A Funky Space Reincarnation"?
    Last edited by jboy88; 11-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I agree that this was a great period for Marvin, as it was for all of Motown, and he got some great material to work with. I especially liked "That's the Way Love Is" and even more so the fantastic album cut "Seek and You Shall Find."
    I always loved the great building up of that song. Was Ivy Hunter reponsable for the writing and/or producers's credits?

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    "You" and "Chained" were cool R&B, but were more or less buried under the duo successes with Tammi. Ever taken a good listen to the backing vocals of Gladys & The Pips on the first one?
    I always thought that was Gladys Knight and The Pips doing the backing vocals on "You"! Especially on the last round of backing lines on the last verses, I could swear I was hearing Gladys- after all these years, you've confirmed it!

P.S. "You" and "Chained" are two of Marvin's best, but like you said, they get obscured somehow. Wish those two would get some radio play on oldies radio stations. I especially love the dark drama of "You".

Daddy, you know what? For years, since the sixties I always thought the beginning lyrics to "That's the Way Love Is" were " As the bitter tears fall from your eyes......" not "After many tears fall from your eyes" as I posted from lyrics I found online. Am I right?
    Yes , he does sing ,"As the bitter tears fall from your eyes......" . The stereo mix on "The Whifield Sessions" cd is IMO better than any mono mix I've heard so far. The background voices are in the left side and you can hear Marvin in it. The strings and tom tom are dead center thru speakers and over your head thru headphones. It's just a magnificent piece.

Yes , he does sing ,"As the bitter tears fall from your eyes......" . The stereo mix on "The Whifield Sessions" cd is IMO better than any mono mix I've heard so far. The background voices are in the left side and you can hear Marvin in it. The strings and tom tom are dead center thru speakers and over your head thru headphones. It's just a magnificent piece.

Thanks Daddy for confirming that. I knew I wasn't completely crazy , at least not yet!LOL! I was thinking as many times as I have heard and sang along to that record , I should know the lyrics inside and out even after not hearing it for many years now. My mother bought the 45 and wore it out! Some records got played now and then, but "That's the Way Love Is" was one of the ones that got played over and over on the day it came into the house! Whoever put the lyrics up on that website has them wrong.

Here is a trivia question from this period in Marvin's career. I should know this, but I don't have my album collection here in New York. Here goes: What album that was released in either 1968 or 69 that bore the exact same cover art, but have two completely different album titles?

In The Groove and I Heard It Through The Grapevine???

I loved "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby". I remember that it was used often during the American Bandstand for their summer dance contest. I checked it's release date and it was April 1969, which would have meant that peak exposure would have been summer '69. Two years later, he would wow us away with the iconic "What's Going On"....... But prior to that, there were many great Motown singles by Marvin. Loved "You" and "Chained" also.

In The Groove and I Heard It Through The Grapevine???
    That is correct Daddy! I bought the version titled "In the Groove" first and later on "I Heard it Through the Grapevine".

That is correct Daddy! I bought the version titled "In the Groove" first and later on "I Heard it Through the Grapevine".
    It didn't have the same cover art though.Name:  Gaye-Groove.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  11.6 KB

Name:  Gaye-Grapevine.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  8.4 KB

It didn't have the same cover art though.Name:  Gaye-Groove.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  11.6 KB

Name:  Gaye-Grapevine.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  8.4 KB
    Kenneth, yes it did. The cover of him wearing the black suit, also had a version with the title " In the Groove". I also have the "green" cover of "In the Groove".

Kenneth, yes it did. The cover of him wearing the black suit, also had a version with the title " In the Groove". I also have the "green" cover of "In the Groove".
    Very interesting...I should have known better...

Very interesting...I should have known better...
    I have both albums, i just cant' get at them at the moment. I think I bought the re-titled album later on in the 80's during my record collecting days.

The cover of him wearing the black suit, also had a version with the title " In the Groove".

Very interesting Marv, I have the two covers but I always thought that the suit cover was titled "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", I've never seen one with "In The Groove". It must be very rare, do you have a picture of it ?
    Last edited by phil; 11-26-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Very interesting Marv, I have the two covers but I always thought that the suit cover was titled "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", I've never seen one with "In The Groove". Do you have a picture of it ?
    I am sorry I don't have the picture available . i have both albums but in storage. It seems that Motown decided to re-title that album after the single really took off and later developed a separate cover with new artwork for the hit title, " I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

It seems that Motown decided to re-title that album after the single really took off and later developed a separate cover with new artwork for the hit title, " I Heard It Through the Grapevine".
    Marv, it must be VERY rare !

From bsn :

"TS-285 - In the Groove [aka I Heard It Through the Grapevine] - Marvin Gaye [8/68] [[11- 68, #63) Original album title was Marvin Gaye In the Groove. Released in monaural as TM-285DJ with a white promotional label. Reissued with a new cover and title as I Heard It Through the Grapevine when that song became a hit. You/Tear It On Down/Chained/I Heard It Through The Grapevine/At Last [[I Found A Love)/Some Kind Of Wonderful//Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever/Change What You Can/It's Love I Need/Every Now And Then/You're What's Happening [[In the World Today)/There Goes My Baby

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Marv, it must be VERY rare !

From bsn :

"TS-285 - In the Groove [aka I Heard It Through the Grapevine] - Marvin Gaye [8/68] [[11- 68, #63) Original album title was Marvin Gaye In the Groove. Released in monaural as TM-285DJ with a white promotional label. Reissued with a new cover and title as I Heard It Through the Grapevine when that song became a hit. You/Tear It On Down/Chained/I Heard It Through The Grapevine/At Last [[I Found A Love)/Some Kind Of Wonderful//Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever/Change What You Can/It's Love I Need/Every Now And Then/You're What's Happening [[In the World Today)/There Goes My Baby
    I guess it is considered rare now, but when i bought them I just thought "hey cool" LOL!

Marv you are not confusing it with the Miracles "Make It Happen" retitled to "Tears Of A Clown" are you, which has the same artwork on both titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Marv you are not confusing it with the Miracles "Make It Happen" retitled to "Tears Of A Clown" are you, which has the same artwork on both titles.
    I am pretty sure that I am not confusing the two. i have the variations on the
    Miracles album covers too. I will see what else i can do to verify it though.