[REMOVE ADS]

R.i.p smokin joe frazier

Not exactly music related but another legend in black history has passed, the great boxing champ Joe Frazier.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-liver-cancer/

Muhammad Ali has led tributes from around the world for former heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier, who has died aged 67 from liver cancer.
    "The world has lost a great champion," said 69-year-old Ali, who fought Frazier three times.
    "I will always remember Joe with respect and admiration. My sympathy goes out to his family and loved ones."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/15633174.stm

I loved Joe Frazier! His fighting style was never considered pretty. He'd get you in corner and man he could mess ya up something awful! LOL!

This is a sad day. We'll never forget you Champ! Thanks for everything and rest in peace.

Marv

I loved him, too.

RIP Joe. You were a great boxer and Philly will never forget you.

Every time that I was in his company,
    He was always a pleasure to be around.
    He was a great champion, in and out of the ring.
    He will be missed.
    My prayers go out to the family
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

he was a good man and did a lot for the community.

Loved Joe as a fighter. Not so much as a singer...

Down goes Frazier.

R.I.P. Joe Frazier, who I believe had a soul group that was a semi-successful lounge act.

They had an awesome name, too: Joe Frazier and The Knockouts.

Can't get a better name than that! Thanks for the memories, Joe.

I'm going to the funeral to support his niece, my co-worker. My sister and I met Joe during the time of the first Ali-Frazier fight. I met and dated one of his sparring partners, Ray Anderson out of Cleveland, OH and had some fun times with Joe, Ray and Yank Durham. Rest in Peace Joe, you did a lot for boxing and for Philly.

My condolences go out to those who were close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    I'm going to the funeral to support his niece, my co-worker. My sister and I met Joe during the time of the first Ali-Frazier fight. I met and dated one of his sparring partners, Ray Anderson out of Cleveland, OH and had some fun times with Joe, Ray and Yank Durham. Rest in Peace Joe, you did a lot for boxing and for Philly.

Nosey this is a very small World. One of my best friends in college and now a dentist in Philly, Evan. His brother Eric dated Joe's daughter at one time. Also, my babysitter dated and eventually married Muhammad Ali's sparring partner Mel.
    Joe Frazier was a symbol of Philadelphia and hope the city really turns out for him!

Marv

Marv2 what was really annoying was that during the Ali-Frazier bouts EVERYONE was for Ali and very few people were for Frazier even people in Philly. I used to get fussed out when I said I was for Frazier even though I had met Muhammad Ali in person.Like I said in another thread I met his daughter, Jackie Frazier Lyde [[she's a judge) @ three weeks ago and she was sooo pleasant and approachable. Much prettier in person. I asked her had she given up boxing and she quickly said yes and laughed! She gave Laila a run for her money but I bet Laila hit's like a Mack truck.

I don't know if you were a member of SDF at the time I told this story but here it goes again. Around 1971, when Muhammad Ali was living in Philly, my sister and I met him in at a club. After the club closed he dropped us off and we asked him to come in to meet our dad. My dad was furious with us for waking him up and while upstairs he was fussing talking about, "I don't give a jam sandwich whose downstairs don't nobody come to my house this time of night!" We're saying but daddy it's Muhammad Ali downstairs. My father reluctantly got up was still fussing walking down the stairs and mumbling. As soon as he saw Muhammad Ali he stopped mumbling and in midstride stuck out his hand and said, Heyyyy Champ! [[That was too funny!)

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    Marv2 what was really annoying was that during the Ali-Frazier bouts EVERYONE was for Ali and very few people were for Frazier even people in Philly. I used to get fussed out when I said I was for Frazier even though I had met Muhammad Ali in person.Like I said in another thread I met his daughter, Jackie Frazier Lyde [[she's a judge) @ three weeks ago and she was sooo pleasant and approachable. Much prettier in person. I asked her had she given up boxing and she quickly said yes and laughed! She gave Laila a run for her money but I bet Laila hit's like a Mack truck.

I don't know if you were a member of SDF at the time I told this story but here it goes again. Around 1971, when Muhammad Ali was living in Philly, my sister and I met him in at a club. After the club closed he dropped us off and we asked him to come in to meet our dad. My dad was furious with us for waking him up and while upstairs he was fussing talking about, "I don't give a jam sandwich whose downstairs don't nobody come to my house this time of night!" We're saying but daddy it's Muhammad Ali downstairs. My father reluctantly got up was still fussing walking down the stairs and mumbling. As soon as he saw Muhammad Ali he stopped mumbling and in midstride stuck out his hand and said, Heyyyy Champ! [[That was too funny!)
    Nosey, you are really dredging up some vivid memories for me now! That first Ali-Frazier Fight was like the War of the Worlds for people when I was growing up. I was in the fifth grade and about 75-80% of the school was pulling for Ali. I remember the morning after the fight turning on the TV in my room to the "Today Show" and they announced the results......UGH!!!! Frazier had won and my World had came to an abrupt end! LOL! I think I even cried that morning before going to school. That's how serious that fight was to us and in Detroit and Toledo, just about everyone I knew was a boxing fan to some degree. We held little mock fights during our recess where we'd pretend to be Ali knocking out Joe Frazier.

That is some story of your Dad meeting Ali like that. It wasn't until 1990 and I had moved back to Michigan/Ohio [[I was right the State Line) that I had the opportunity to spend almost an entire day with Ali thanks to my former babysitter and her husband. He gave me the pin that he used to sign autographs, shadow boxed a little with Mel and told a few dirty jokes under his breathe! hehehehehehe. That some day, even my childhood doctor was there and recognized me as a grown man! So many great memories. And yeah, Jackie was my friend Eric's former girlfriend.