[REMOVE ADS]

Those temptin backgrounds!

Hey gang,am i the only one here who knows that this is the temptations fiftieth anniversary??hehe anyhow let's have some fun[i hope]what are some of your favorite background parts down throught the years? Do you have one or several?...from the beautiful eddie kendricks lead-two sides to love[believe in me]from the classic-girl why you wanna make me blue[la la la la]....from the beautiful-since i lost my baby[inclined to fine my baby]....from the jammin-all i need[fool fool]....from the early classic-i'll be i trouble[oo i'll be in trouble be in so much trouble]these are afew of my favs down through the years...what cha got...temps forever!!!

'Hey, hey, hey' in 'My Girl' and repeated in 'It's Growing' with a different inflection.

I've always liked the bit in "Get Ready" where the baritone [[presumably MELVIN FRANKLIN) is half speaking the "fe fi fo fums" whilst Eddie is singing the same words in his high register .. it comes out quite clearly on this clip of the song on youtube ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxxiqqrQGts

Roger

hard to pick a favorite... but one that always gets me is the "rain rain rain let it rain" dropping voices like raindrops in "I wish it would rain"

The background harmonies on Baby, Baby, I Need You.

The vocal interplay between Melvin and Eddie On Paradise [[which I don't think will ever be equaled let alone surpassed.)

The lead and backing vocals on Don't Look Back Live....in particular the "we wont"

The choir background vocals on "Someone" and the way Ali Woodson sings over and under them...priceless.

Never Let, Never, Never let her go........from Some Enchanted Evening

The intro to Swanee from Live at The Copa..........impossible harmony........

Background vocals on Slow Down Heart........awww man........

Blow harmony style backgrounds on Girls Alright with me..........

B/G vocals on Hello Young Lovers..........Hello.....Hello....Hello.....

Dam Jai , its just too many........ Oh yeah Otis just had his 70th birthday.......

uptight Guest
    The intro to "Cloud Nine" always fascinates me. "Baw baw baw, whoo..." How do you come up with parts like that?!!! Maybe it was inspired by Dennis Coffee's wah-wah peddle performances with his guitar? I guess it originates from scat singing in jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I've always liked the bit in "Get Ready" where the baritone [[presumably MELVIN FRANKLIN) is half speaking the "fe fi fo fums" whilst Eddie is singing the same words in his high register .. it comes out quite clearly on this clip of the song on youtube ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxxiqqrQGts

Roger
    Roger,

You are right about that being Melvin on Get Ready but he was a bass singer; arguably one of the best ever.

Yeah some of my most favorite backgrounds were done for the song "Please Return Your Love to Me Girl"! I was only 8 year old on Earth singing on the way to school..........hehehehe!

Hi!

"Soul to Soul"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    yeah some of my most favorite backgrounds were done for the song "please return your love to me girl"! I was only 8 year old on earth singing on the way to school..........hehehehe!
    hey marv you got a good ear,there is a part where agin melvin echoes eddie on the verse-lonely one...take a close listen!!

I always kinda liked "Beauty's Only Skin Deep"'s backgrounds. I always loved EVERYTHING about
    "Can't Get Next To You". That song is so "in your face"!!! Love their harmonies with The Supremes when
    they sing "Not Now [[I'll Tell You Later)".

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    "It's Growing". That one, from the first time I heard it had me! I love how the backing vocals build right along with the song, becoming a chant: "Hey Hey Hey! Nobody Knows / It Grows and Grows" and then when you think it can't get any better, the Andantes come in and add an extra layer to build the tension. Suddenly, the line "Where Is It Gonna Stop!" and that amazing pause before David comes in again. The ending had me feeling like my blood pressure was rising, when The Tempts and Andantes start in on another chant, both doing different overlapping parts.

WOW!