[REMOVE ADS]

I always thought it was funny when Diana talked about "A Breath Taking Guy" and before she sang the line, she said, "Maybe nobody will remember this except for me..."

I could be wrong but I think this is the second night of the two-night special; I think the whole thing was four hours [[with commercials). Can anyone confirm for me? Still, it's a great documentary no matter how much of it there is...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I could be wrong but I think this is the second night of the two-night special; I think the whole thing was four hours [[with commercials). Can anyone confirm for me? Still, it's a great documentary no matter how much of it there is...
    It was aired on two nights and even with all of this "snippets" the poster of the videos did not get all of it! I have it all that i taped from television and I know that there was more included in the first nights segment.

Many thanks for posting the links to the "Motown at 40" TV special on YouTube and Daily Motion. While "Motown 25" has it's moments, this is my favorite of the Motown retrospective shows thanks to the various performance clips and interviews from the "Hitsville era". Invaluable!

not a SINGLE Marvelettes reference[[although a songwriter mentions "Postman" but not the group)they even show The Velvelettes, but no Marvelettes;
    maybe they're not in the R&R Hall Of Fame cos Motown doesn't want them in...

The Marvelettes don't fit where the Rock n Roll H of F is; they'll be lucky if they ever get in unless the Hall changes it's orientation. Them and a couple of dozen other deserving people.

I don't buy much of the conspiracy ideas; none of the artists do anymore; none of the people that were part of or are part of Motown do. Things happen and you have to be there to understand; often, it makes no sense at all but there is a perfectly rational explanation..........like when the Marvelettes were on the oldies show and they had one of them veiled and wouldn't show her face. The fans went nuts........but she wanted it that way.

A shame though about M40; I didnt know that; it may be there is very limited filmed material around which to build something on the Marvelettes. I guess we'd have to ask Suzanne.

if The Supremes and Martha & The Vandellas fit[[they are BOTH in the R&R HOF) then I hate to dispute you,but The Marvelettes fit as well,especially as their hits were covered by such as Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels and The Beatles, to name but two...

maybe they're not in the R&R Hall Of Fame cos Motown doesn't want them in...
    Why wouldn't Motown want them in? Is there bad blood?

recently read the quote when Gladys Horton went to Smokey in the 90's, regarding money problems,possibly royalties related and Mr.Robinson said something to the effect of you're down?well, stay down..doesn't sound like good blood from many of the 80's/90's stories popping up..
    been reading about the lovely treatment that the Four Tops got at the hands of Ewart Abner [[you guys are over anyway) which led to their departure to ABC/Dunhill, and how Gordy 'joked' about wanting to smash the Tops' gold record for "Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got",their second hit for Dunhill..
    where did I read this? in the booklet of "Forever" the Four Tops Hip-O box set that was released in 2001

Motown obviously was not above the 'bad blood' thing
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 12-04-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I don't think the links here for MOTOWN 40 are the complete show.

The Marvelettes were shown a few times on the first night. Granted, there wasn't a profile of them, and none of the ladies were interviewed. They showed a clip of them singing PLEASE MR. POSTMAN to illustrate how Barney Ales was supposed to push records until they hit #1. Then there was some home video concert footage of them used to illustrate how the acts needed training to be better on stage. Later, I believe they showed a clip of their performance of DON'T MESS WITH BILL on SWINGIN' TIME.

Re the R&R Hall Of Fame, they certainly deserve to be in there, along with others like Mary Wells, etc. I fear that some of the pioneers might not be in the focus of the voting block. Since a requirement for getting in is at least having released a record at least 25 years before, it seems as if the thrust now is on performers from the 70s and 80s. Of course, Darlene Love made it in last year. So there might some hope for the older artists. But she also has had a pretty high profile in recent years. So one never knows.

Thanks Reese, that's good to hear.

Regarding the RRHOF, I agree; I suspect Martha and the Vandellas might have a hard time making it in today. The RRHOF needs a shake up. It's just another institution like the Grammys and the American Music Awards that have faded in importance and regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    recently read the quote when Gladys Horton went to Smokey in the 90's, regarding money problems,possibly royalties related and Mr.Robinson said something to the effect of you're down?well, stay down..doesn't sound like good blood from many of the 80's/90's stories popping up..
    been reading about the lovely treatment that the Four Tops got at the hands of Ewart Abner [[you guys are over anyway) which led to their departure to ABC/Dunhill, and how Gordy 'joked' about wanting to smash the Tops' gold record for "Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got",their second hit for Dunhill..
    where did I read this? in the booklet of "Forever" the Four Tops Hip-O box set that was released in 2001

Motown obviously was not above the 'bad blood' thing

I heard about this comment being made from Smokey and how odd of a thing to say and I can't imagine why the pissed off attitude since Gladys left because she had to leave.
    Last edited by captainjames; 12-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.