[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Marvelettes Unsung

FWIW, Gladys Horton's son Vaughan Thornton just posted over at the Marvelettes Fan Group facebook page that TVOne is in the midst of producing an Unsung episode on The Marvelettes. Hope this comes to fruition.

That would be AWESOME WITH A CAPITAL A!!!!!!!! If it should happen, please remind us on here every hour on the hour so that no one misses the air dates.

I agree if this comes up i don't wanna miss it either...marveletts forever!!

I was saying they needed to be on "Unsung" for the longest! When it happens I will be overjoyed!

i AGREE THEY ARE CERTAINLY UNSUNG INSPITE OF THEIR TALENT AND HITS THEY UNECESSARILY TOOK BACK SEATS TO MANY AT MOTOWN, AS WELL AS MISSED OPPORTUNITIES ON TV SHOWS.

Now that is great news,I would love to know more about The Marvelettes.
    Please stay positive

Before The Supremes broke I loved The Marvelettes as one of my favorite female groups. If I recall correctly "Beechwood 45789" and "Too Many Fish in the Sea" were hits before "Where Did Our Love Go". I was also a fan of Martha Reeves and The Vandellas but that is another story. It would be great to hear more of the backstory concerning The Marvelettes. I kinda wonder why though they had big hit singles, they couldn't sell albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Before The Supremes broke I loved The Marvelettes as one of my favorite female groups. If I recall correctly "Beechwood 45789" and "Too Many Fish in the Sea" were hits before "Where Did Our Love Go". I was also a fan of Martha Reeves and The Vandellas but that is another story. It would be great to hear more of the backstory concerning The Marvelettes. I kinda wonder why though they had big hit singles, they couldn't sell albums.
    You're right about The Marvelettes' "Beechwood 4-5789" being a hit before The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go" since "Beechwood" was released [[and charted) in the summer of 1962 while "Where" became a hit two years later in the summer of 1964. However, "Too Many Fish In The Sea" came out later in the year and became a hit in the fall of 1964. Mark Taylor's biography of the group, The Original Marvelettes, is a must-read since it offers a lot of information about The Marvelettes.

well, there were hits before that, obviously, like "Playboy" and the first ever #1 Pop Billboard single for Motown, "Please Mr. Postman"; The Marvelettes were the reigning queens for a year or two, at the very least, at Motown,much to Miss Ross' ire...lol

I guess Unsung doing Diana Ross is out of the question. lol

RossHolloway Guest
    I did see over the weekend that the new season of Unsung starts in January and they have one on David Ruffin in the works!