[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Martha Reeves Produced By Richard Perry

I know this isn't a Motown release, but I felt this discussion belonged in this forum.

I am listening to this album for the second time today and it still puzzles me why this album wasn't a bigger hit. The production was certainly top-notch and Martha delivers some very soul-stirring performances. In some ways, I think this album was ahead of its time. In "Wild Night", you can hear a few seconds where Richard Perry utilizes those trademark synthesizers. You can hear it after the line, "And the boys are doing the boogie woogie..." It sounds like he was experimenting with the very sound that made the Pointer Sisters' "Break Out" album a platinum seller in 1984. "Storm In My Soul" also has rock edge to it, very similar to what we hear on the Pointer Sisters' breakthrough "Energy" album.

What do you guys think? Did it deserve to be a flop? I don't think it did. I personally think that perhaps Martha's artistry wasn't taken seriously by the industry and many record buyers incorrectly considered her to be an oldies artist.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-30-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I agree with you completely, Carlo. Everything about this album is superlative: great selection of material, top-notch vocals by Martha Reeves, over-the-top instrumentation
    and excellent production by Richard Perry. Considering it was, at the time, the most expensive album ever created, you would think that all those involved would have wanted to promote it in a big way to recoup their investment. That just didn't happen. I purchased the album on vinyl in 1974 and was very happy when See For Miles Records reissued it on CD in 1997. It remains one of my favorites.

Remember that it was also re-issued on Hip-O with three bonus tracks!

I think it is a great album, and am also surprised it didn't do better. I especially loved her interpretation of "Imagination" which was so different than the Gladys Knight version and of course "Wild Night." And Martha's version of "Many Rivers to Cross" is really stunning.

I still think the LP was every bit as good as Perry's "Baby It's Me" that he did for Diane Ross or any of the then recent Gladys Knight & Pips LPs where they moved into a more adult-MOR territory with tracks like "I Feel a Song" or "The Way We Were."

I don't think anyone has ever really figured out why it didn't do better. As I recall, in the Hip-O notes, they really don't explain it. Perhaps Reeves was too saddled by her old Motown image, so she wouldn't be accepted by a wider audience? Or maybe she just didn't have enough charisma as a solo artist, without the group dynamic? I honestly don't know.

I always hoped it would be the first of many such albums for Reeves. What a shame that it wasn't. Her later efforts [[anyone remember "Skating in the Streets"?) were certainly substandard in comparison.

I remember Martha promoting this album in Chicago,she did every from this great album,[[to me)What a performance,Martha was no joke,back in the day,had this album hit,i think Martha would have been a BIG STAR,yes, what a shame.
    Please stay positive

The Richard Perry album was indeed beautiful and somewhat ahead of its time. [[Even Berry Gordy liked it)

The project lacked one important thing.....PROMOTION. MCA had spent so much money on the album and freeing Martha from Motown. [[Most of that money went to freeing Martha of her contractual obligations at Motown.) Not much left for promotion. I really believe pop radio would have loved "Wild Night" had it been promoted there.

Richard Perry tried to get MCA to get behind the record, of course they didn't and they thought Martha should been recording more soul music.

The album sold about 50,000 units in the US and with sales in Japan,UK and Germany, plus the sales from "Power Of Love" [[a modest international hit), they regained their money but opted to drop Martha.

I remember there was a lot of hype over this album and there was a lot of expectation it would be a big hit; and it wasn't a total flop. But high hopes were dashed.

It seems to me that Motown still was fighting kind of an uphill battle in the rock world and this album was trying to move into that field and Martha was very much identified as part of Motown.

I think the album came and went very quickly but didn't it reach 70 or 80 on the Billboard Pop Chart and then disappear in short order?

The record was just wiped away from radio. I remember calling stations here in DC just to be told "We Don't have that anymore" Everyone was wanting Martha back on top. She was on Soultrain, Flip Wilson Special, she did the entire album on Don Kirchner's Rock Concert.

"Wild Night" was an underground hit in rock clubs so it should have been a radio hit, but was only played on select soul stations? Where's the promo guy?

I remember when I bought this album [[on vinyl) in my favorite record store, one of the clerks made a snide comment to one of his co-workers, as if to imply that he couldn't believe someone was buying it. The store was in a college town and I suppose the rock music of the day was considered to be the "in" thing to buy, as opposed to soul music.

I was appalled by such a lack of professionalism, but didn't address it at the time. I recall hearing that business about it being such an expensive album to produce, and I think it had four or five potential hit singles if it had been properly supported.

Credits of "Martha Reeves Produced By Richard Perry"
    [[The Best Of The Best!)
    Clarence McDonald....... Piano, Keyboards
    Steve Madaio........Horn
    Robert Margouleff....... Synthesizer
    Larry NashPiano........ Keyboards
    Dean Parks......... Guitar
    Richard Perry........Percussion
    Vini Poncia........Guitar, [[Acoustic), Guitar, Vocals [[Background), Vocals, Vocal Harmony
    Melvin "Wah Wah" Ragin......... Guitar
    Martha Reeves ......... Vocals, Vocals [[Background)
    Doug Sax..........Engineer, Mastering
    Bill Schnee..........Engineer, Remixing
    Russ Turner.........Keyboards, Vocals, Piano
    Derrek Van Eaton.........Guitar [[Acoustic), Guitar
    Lon & Derrek Van Eaton......... Guitar
    Klaus Voormann .......... Guitar
    William D. "Smitty" Smith ........ Keyboards
    Lon VanEaton .......... Guitar [[Acoustic), Soloist
    Kenny Asher.........Organ, Clavinet
    Henry E. Davis......Bass
    Dennis Coffey......... Guitar
    Arthur Adams........Guitar
    Nicky Hopkins.........Piano, Keyboards, Piano [[Electric)
    Clydie King ........ Vocals, Vocals [[Background)
    Ralph MacDonald ........ Percussion
    Jim Keltner.....Drums
    Leon Patillo.....Keyboards, Vocals
    Kenny Ascher........ Keyboards
    Avalon Comm Choir ......... Vocals
    Andrew Berliner....... Engineer
    Jesse ButlerPiano........ Keyboards
    Jimmy Calhoun.....Bass
    Malcolm Cecil.......Synthesizer
    Ananias Chambers....... Conductor
    Greg Crockett.......... Guitar
    Henry Davis ......... Bass
    Danny Faragher ........ Organ, Solo Instrumental, Harmonica, Keyboards
    Travis Fullerton........Drums
    James Gadson.........Drums
    Jim GilstrapVocals....................... Vocals [[Background)
    Lenny Lee Goldsmith..........Organ, Keyboards
    Basil Green....... Bass
    D. Lloyd Gregory....... Guitar
    Tom HensleyPiano.........Keyboards
    Milt Holland........Vocals [[Background), Vibe Master
    James Jamerson.......Bass
    Carol KafiVocals.........Vocals [[Background)
    Bobby Keys........ Horn
    Trevor Lawrence Arranger, Horn
    Spencer LeeLiner...... Notes
    Hoyt Axton.......Guitar
    Billy Preston.......Keyboards
    James Taylor...... Horn
    Joe Sample........ Piano, Keyboards
    King Errisson......... Percussion, Conga

An incredible list.

One thing I have often wondered: why wasn't Sandra Jackson used as a background vocalist for this? Were session singers, like Clydie King under contact for MCA so it was easier [[and cheaper?) to use them? Was Sandra busy with Quiet Elegance?

I ask, if only I know how much Martha likes to keep things "in the family".

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I remember when I bought this album [[on vinyl) in my favorite record store, one of the clerks made a snide comment to one of his co-workers, as if to imply that he couldn't believe someone was buying it. The store was in a college town and I suppose the rock music of the day was considered to be the "in" thing to buy, as opposed to soul music.

I was appalled by such a lack of professionalism, but didn't address it at the time. I recall hearing that business about it being such an expensive album to produce, and I think it had four or five potential hit singles if it had been properly supported.
    That is amazing, but do you believe the same thing happened to me, also in a college town record store, except the guy made the snide comment to me and it was for the Marvelettes Anthology. He looked at me and made a comment, like, "The Marvelettes? Really?" Very rude...and to this day I still remember it which sadly proves he got the effect he wanted.

Another place with notoriously rude clerks, at least in California, was Tower Records back in the 80s. They had this "hipper than thou" attitude, they would blast punk rock music throughout the store even sometimes with really risque lyrics and then would sneer at you if you bought Motown, or the Carpenters, or even a current hit act like A-Ha, or anything they thought wasn't cool. They would also look down at you for special orders of this music. It made shopping there an ordeal. I was sorry to see them go out of business several years back but I will say they never knew anything about customer service. Dictating to customers by imposing their own taste on their clientele is ridiculous and stupid, and lousy business to boot.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-31-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Kenneth, there was a Tower Records over by the Sports Arena, here in San Diego back in the day. The clerks were rude there too. I used to go in and put all the Motown music in front of all the bins. The clerks would yell at me sometimes for rearranging but I didn't care. They even threatened to throw me out. I was pretty fierce myself so they never did. I bought "The Supremes Command Performance" CD there and the clerk laughed at me. I laughed back and he asked me what I was laughing about. I said "Your ugly f******* face!" I was so mad.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Kenneth, there was a Tower Records over by the Sports Arena, here in San Diego back in the day. The clerks were rude there too. I used to go in and put all the Motown music in front of all the bins. The clerks would yell at me sometimes for rearranging but I didn't care. They even threatened to throw me out. I was pretty fierce myself so they never did. I bought "The Supremes Command Performance" CD there and the clerk laughed at me. I laughed back and he asked me what I was laughing about. I said "Your ugly f******* face!" I was so mad.

Penny
    Wow! Go girl! Good for you. Isn't it amazing they treated customers that way? It had to come from the top...it always does!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I bought "The Supremes Command Performance" CD there and the clerk laughed at me. I laughed back and he asked me what I was laughing about. I said "Your ugly f******* face!" I was so mad.
    LOL!!

I've had the same experience purchasing music over the years. We had this one store in particular that was very similar to many of the descriptions you guys have written. It was a really dark store with punk looking employees, blasting their crazy music. I couldn't have been more than 13 years old at the time and I asked them if they could special order "The Supremes Sing Rodgers & Hart" on CD. The guy with the long pink hair and piercings sneered at me. At the same store, I had also bought Agnetha Faltskog's 2004 album [[the blonde girl from ABBA) and the guy was trying to pronounce her name in a mocking sort of way, saying, "Who is this?!" Fortunately all of those punk employees no longer work there. The people who work there now are very nice people. I don't get the attitude. No wonder everyone is buying online nowadays.

I thought MCA releasing "Power of Love" as the first single was STUPID on their part when that song had already been a big hit by Joe Simon not too long before.The talk about the LP's expense, I think was either hype by Richard Perry or maybe MCA.Yea, they had to pay to get Martha out of her Motown contract & ofcourse would deduct that expense from her somehow.Richard Perry [[like alot of producers) might have put some of the money aside for his future projects. Martha was very much a "Today" artist at that time as evidenced by her performance on Midnight Special at the time. The LP cover & inner sleeve are top notch.Love the pix on the back & thats still one of my fave pix of Martha.

In the UK several DJ's got behind 'Wild Night' and played it for weeks. Sadly it just faded away without ever reaching the charts. As for the album, it was good but somewhat overproduced and was never really a UK chart contender.

I agree with copley. There was just something missing too-the Vandellas?lol Im not sure. I think it was a bit overhyped and Martha[[unfairly) was pigeonholed as a soul ish singer. I also agree with the charisma comment above. She didnt come across as easily as other performers did when she wasnt singing.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I loved the album but was disappointed with hearing so many cover songs.
    I felt Martha deserved all new material; especially when it was reported so much money was spent.
    The cover photo was strange, too.
    Martha was better at being photographed in "hip"-fun clothes, rather than feathery-glam.

Martha still has more charisma then most, why do you think Berry Gordy had Diana Ross at the Twenty Grand studying Marthas stage performance?I remember Beans Bowles saying that Martha was the best for talking onstage.

I never heard this record--it came out in 1974?

I'm really surprised you all got so much attitude from punks at record stores, because I hung out with a lot of punks in the 80's and they invariably LOVED old Motown stuff. Especially the Marvelettes for some reason. For instance, Morrissey, lead singer for the Smiths, once famously remarked "The Vandella's 'Third Finger, Left Hand, can cheer me up out of my most doom-laden depressions." Patti Smith said in her most recent memoirs that when she moved into her Manhattan apartment, she christened it by playing "I Sold My Heart to the Junkman" by the Bluebelles and songs by the Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Martha still has more charisma then most, why do you think Berry Gordy had Diana Ross at the Twenty Grand studying Marthas stage performance?I remember Beans Bowles saying that Martha was the best for talking onstage.
    And Martha still has the pipes. Listen to her voice soar in this clip. God bless Martha Reeves. Whatever Dr. Bombay is prescribing is helping her voice and skin. Martha looks and sounds wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNNa-FIYuLU

Roberta, I love Martha Reeves. She does seem to struggle a little bit holding some of the notes in this video. It might have been just an off night for her. We all have them.

Luke,
    what you are saying was part of the criticism from many people when when Reeves went solo. We associated Martha Reeves with the Vandellas, even though many of her hit records had singers other than the Vandellas in the background, our Psyche is used to Martha & The Vandellas. We all know that Diana Ross was not and instant solo success...so many of us wanted her with the Supremes and had a hard time excepting her solo. Same with Gladys Knight, Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin even took Smokey awhile before he got rolling with "Crusin" It's just not the same.[[Except for Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie) And without a big promotional push it's worse.

One critic said he didn't feel Martha's personality on the Richard Perry project..Oh well.
    It was a rock & soul lp and "Wild Night" should have been the lead single with proper promotion...but~
    Last edited by loveblind; 09-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I remember Martha saying in an interview that Richard Perry had given her a "new voice". If I'm being honest, I'd have to say that I preferred her old voice.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I remember Martha saying in an interview that Richard Perry had given her a "new voice". If I'm being honest, I'd have to say that I preferred her old voice.
    I think some of the songs were in a key that was too high for her, as she did seem to be out of her usual range. This was also true on the "Black Magic" LP, I think, because several of the songs were originally intended for Diane Ross.

I still love both albums though. Most of the material on both was outstanding.

I think "Martha Reeves" also showed she could be very effective on ballads which at Motown she rarely was [[a notable exception being "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things"). The "hard tone" in her voice was minimized and I thought she came off great.

On "Black Magic," her renditions of "Anyone Who Had a Heart," "I Want You Back," and "Hope I Don't Get My Heart Broke" are simply fantastic.

Martha changed her voice several times throughout the years. She once told me she didn't like the way she sounded earlier. She thought she sounded too southern. So she took to a higher key that would show off a higher register and her operatic abilities.

I too have always loved this album. I especially like My Man, Youve Got Me For Company and Imagination. But the whole album flows nicely. Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post
    Martha changed her voice several times throughout the years. She once told me she didn't like the way she sounded earlier. She thought she sounded too southern. So she took to a higher key that would show off a higher register and her operatic abilities.
    Martha has got better with age IMO. Check out this impromptu performance. Not many singers Martha's age can jump on a stage unprepared and sound this good. I think Martha Reeves looks and sounds fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPwQ4DG8g4

Here she is performing her MCA album

Last edited by loveblind; 09-03-2011 at 08:08 PM.

This is a good album! I always thought My Man [[Youve changed my tune) would have been a great single in the 70s. Im sorry Richard Perry got this one right it was a commercially viable album and didnt miss the Vandellas at all as much as I love them. Inside cover is awesome with credits and a great pic of Martha. If any album of hers was to be her breakthrough this one would have been it not the atrocious Skating in the Streets stuff. Marthas soprano is good in the right environment and this album along with Black Magic make it shine. Its her live performances where I dont care to hear the wailing soprano. I was mad when this album didnt do better I always thought Thelma and Louise would have brought more interest to it. When the movie started and I heard Marthas version of Wildnight I was floored and thought that the song would be rediscovered.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    This is a good album! I always thought My Man [[Youve changed my tune) would have been a great single in the 70s. Im sorry Richard Perry got this one right it was a commercially viable album and didnt miss the Vandellas at all as much as I love them. Inside cover is awesome with credits and a great pic of Martha. If any album of hers was to be her breakthrough this one would have been it not the atrocious Skating in the Streets stuff. Marthas soprano is good in the right environment and this album along with Black Magic make it shine. Its her live performances where I dont care to hear the wailing soprano. I was mad when this album didnt do better I always thought Thelma and Louise would have brought more interest to it. When the movie started and I heard Marthas version of Wildnight I was floored and thought that the song would be rediscovered.
    In a way, Wild Night was rediscovered as a year or two after Thelma and Louise, John Mellencamp and M'shell Ngegeocello had a hit with their cover of it. I saw Martha last year at BB Kings and she opened her show with Wild Night.

I had to listen to this album again after participating in this thread. What an awesome album. It's funny, I now appreciate tracks I didn't when it came out, for example "Many Rivers to Cross" and "Dixie Highway" are easily amongst my favorites though I know they weren't back in the day. I'm glad at least the album is getting some recognition now though it's inexplicable that it didn't do better when it came out. Contrary to some criticism of it, I do not consider it "over produced." When I hear that term I think of some of Phil Spector's or Barry White's material. I think everything about this one Richard Perry did just right.

It's too bad MCA didn't stick with Martha a little longer. Of course, this was just at the cusp of the Disco era so many veteran R&B and soul singers had trouble weathering that storm...not all that unusual then. Still a shame though. Martha had a lot more great albums in her, I am sure.

Afterwards, Arista also released one album by her, which by the way is wayyyyyyyy overdue for CD re-issue [[hint hint to someone, anyone!!!!!!!!!) and it too was a wonderful album. But after that the two that followed were, sorry but I am telling it like it is, hideous by comparison.

I was looking up Martha's solo discography this evening and noticed one album I had never heard of before called, "Rainbow". It says it was released after her MCA album by a record company that went bankrupt, so they were unable to promote the record and it disappeared very quickly. Apparently original pressings go for a lot of money. It also mentioned this album was reissued in the 80's with the title, "Dancing in the Street". I've seen budget CD's in the shops over the years called, "Dancing in the Street" and I never bought it because it said it consisted of re-recordings. Is this the same album? Has it been reissued onto CD many times?

I'm not all too familiar with her solo recordings. I also have "For the Rest of My Life" on vinyl, but I haven't listened to it very many times. Maybe once. Time for me to pull it out again and give it another listen. I was listening to "Skating in the Streets" on Youtube. I didn't think I would like it, but I do! Love disco! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I was looking up Martha's solo discography this evening and noticed one album I had never heard of before called, "Rainbow". It says it was released after her MCA album by a record company that went bankrupt, so they were unable to promote the record and it disappeared very quickly. Apparently original pressings go for a lot of money. It also mentioned this album was reissued in the 80's with the title, "Dancing in the Street". I've seen budget CD's in the shops over the years called, "Dancing in the Street" and I never bought it because it said it consisted of re-recordings. Is this the same album? Has it been reissued onto CD many times?
    I think her first set of rerecordings was for K-Tel, and that album is available as a budget CD "K-Tel Greatest Hits." I am not familiar with "Rainbow." I found the following blurb about it, however, on http://www.soulmusic.com/mareeyofe.html

Somewhere between 1974-1975, Reeves recorded an album of songs called “RAINBOW”. The record company folded soon after it’s release which killed all promotion. Die hard Reeves fans claim the project is one of Reeves best. It included covers of blues classic, “The Thrill Is Gone” and gospel favorite “Be Grateful”. In 1982, Phonaroma acquired licensing and re-titled the album “Dancing In The Street” because Martha re-recorded that hit for this project. The original pressings go for as high as $1000.00 and the re-issues can go has high as $600.00

I also found the "Dancing in the Street" CD you refer to on Amazon, which one [[and only one) seller has listed for $96:

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Street...t_mus_dp_dpt_1

I'd say Buyer Beware on that one. Kind of seems like Motor City/Levine material. I guess it isn't, but it looks like it was thrown together very quickly. As they say, "for completists only."

But interestingly enough, I also found this title which has almost the same track lineup and what appears to be a cover photo from the same session as "Dancing in the Street." Plus it's listed for under $10!

http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Reeves-..._mus_ep_dpi_23

But neither of those two releases include "Thrill is Gone" or "Grateful," or other Blues classics, so maybe there is another album out there after all. Okay, who can ask Miss Reeves?
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-05-2011 at 08:02 PM.

The two cds listed above with the Amazon links are just reissues of her cd MARTHA REEVES: THE COLLECTION. The same group of songs has been released MANY times. Martha is in good voice on it, re-recording some of her hits as well as some covers.

I don't believe the RAINBOW album has been issued on cd. Some lucky fans have cassettes, I believe, but I don't think the album was distributed widely.

the Rainbow album was once easy to obtain in the early days of the internet and when martha groups were first popping up. it's a nice collection for martha reeves fans. lots of artwork for the album was posted on the internet that fans printed out. hopefully loveblind can fill in the many gaps. seems like it was all recorded in Tennessee. youbube features various songs from time to time before they get yanked. martha had much better luck in getting vinyls recorded over the years as opposed to mary wilson.

[[this is the second pressing cover)
    Fans don't be fooled. The RAINBOW project is not the same as the overly re-packaged MARTHA REEVES :THE COLLECTION.

Here's a track list:

side 1
    Feel Like Makin' Love
    My Baby Loves Me
    Hearts On Fire
    Circle Of Love
    Be Grateful

side 2
    Dancin In The Streets
    Don't You Ever Take Your Love
    Can't Take It No More
    Light In The Long Run
    The Thrill Is Gone
    Last edited by loveblind; 09-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Ramone Verona Guest
    I don't have this actual album but a cassette with these songs.
    "Hearts On Fire" was my favorite of this set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    I don't have this actual album but a cassette with these songs.
    "Hearts On Fire" was my favorite of this set.
    How is the album overall? How are the production values?

Thank you guys for the info! Very interesting.

I can't believe I never heard of the Rainbow album before now, I was in record stores almost daily back then.

Except for Rainbow, I have all of Martha's solo LPs but am only familiar with the songs on the Richard Perry and Arista albums. I was also disappointed these albums didn't do well for her, I love them both.

A few of us diehards saw her at a club when the MCA album was first released. Hardly anyone was there. We were able to speak to her between shows. She told us that Motown was releasing a 3-disc Anthology in the near future. We showed her where the bathrooms were. Just a "Wild Night".

"Hearts On Fire"
    That is hot, Ramone. Reminds me of "Slow Hand" By The Pointers. A top notch production

I am with Johnjeb. I thought I hit the stores and bought as much music as anybody, and I loved everything Motown, yet this is the absolute first I have ever heard of this Rainbow album. I thought you guys were talking about that tacky collection where she does Gotta See Jane, etc. but apparently this is something different. So now you have me wondering if I really missed something or not.

No, I never heard of "Rainbow" either and I bought all her albums in the 70s. Well, at least I thought I had.

But I'm sure if I ever saw the ticky tacky repackage shown above retitled "Dancin [sic] in the Streets," I doubt I would have picked it up. That has to be one of the cheapest LP covers in history! Hey, "Barni" on the early Motown LPs was better than that!

I also think it's a mistake to keep rerecording the old songs. They can never approximate the originals, or evoke the same feelings, and by retitling the collection to one of her old hits would automatically make it look like a desperation move and really "dilute" the original LP's production. At that point no one would think this was an LP of [[mostly) new material.

Of course, Mary Wells recorded her old hits over and over again. I never bought those LPs though. But I did appreciate and enjoy the "In and Out of Love" LP which was new material and included what I think turned out to be her last charting single, "Gigolo."

Mary Wells did redo some of her original hits twice. Once for Gusto Records out of Nashville, which I think is when & where Martha redid some of hers...Gusto paid them a FLAT fee per song, which was a pretty good deal for them at the time, more then what most get in royalties.