[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MARTHA REEVES Cover Story Interview & New Photos

Hi fellow Soulful Detroiters,

Though this is my first post to the forum, I'm no stranger to the incredible community of passionate soul music historians, afficianados and archivists here. I've learned so much from the different [[highly detailed) threads and discovered a plethora of new music, in the process. I look forward to checking out the forum threads every day, throughout the day. Thank you for keeping it lively!

That said, I just wanted to share with other forum members that MARTHA REEVES is featured in an exclusive interview and photo session in the latest issue of Daeida Magazine now online at www.daeida.com. You can read the entire interview and see the gorgeous images [[it's best if you view it in "Full Screen" mode) by simply clicking on either cover [[Peggy March is the other artist featured on the cover). We're in the process of updating our archive and getting ready for a very soulful lineup in the coming months. -- David @ Daeida

Name:  Daeida_August_2011_MARTHA_REEVES_Photo_by_Gor_Megaera_COPYRIGHT2011-463x600.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  48.0 KB

Martha looks great. She's one of my favorite ladies. I'll check it out.

Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by David Ybarra View Post
    Hi fellow Soulful Detroiters,

Though this is my first post to the forum, I'm no stranger to the incredible community of passionate soul music historians, afficianados and archivists here. I've learned so much from the different [[highly detailed) threads and discovered a plethora of new music, in the process. I look forward to checking out the forum threads every day, throughout the day. Thank you for keeping it lively!

That said, I just wanted to share with other forum members that MARTHA REEVES is featured in an exclusive interview and photo session in the latest issue of Daeida Magazine now online at www.daeida.com. You can read the entire interview and see the gorgeous images [[it's best if you view it in "Full Screen" mode) by simply clicking on either cover [[Peggy March is the other artist featured on the cover). We're in the process of updating our archive and getting ready for a very soulful lineup in the coming months. -- David @ Daeida

Name:  Daeida_August_2011_MARTHA_REEVES_Photo_by_Gor_Megaera_COPYRIGHT2011-463x600.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  48.0 KB
    Martha looks so fresh and young. What a beautiful photo.

Thanks, David! And, yes, that is a beautiful cover photo of my dear Martha.

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Oh my! That's as airbrushed as the cover of Martha's biography!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Martha looks great. She's one of my favorite ladies. I'll check it out.

Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    Oh my! That's as airbrushed as the cover of Martha's biography!
    Is it airbrushed? Martha just looks rested and fresh to me.

It is airbrushed... but not a huge amount. Martha's not all pruny or anything, so they don't have to do much. It's a GREAT picture, and i'm glad to see her on a cover where she belongs!

Really Roberta75? airbrushed within an inch of it not being Martha. And in reality Martha looks great

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/M...IBOMmlIPNl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Is it airbrushed? Martha just looks rested and fresh to me.
    Last edited by stopinthenameoflove; 08-16-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Really Roberta75? airbrushed within an inch of it not being Martha. And in reality Martha looks great
    [URL="http:www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Martha+Reeves+Glenfiddich+Mojo+Honours+List+MPIBOM mlIPNl.jpg"[/URL]
    Sorry stopinthenameoflove but I can't open the link.

I tried posting direct - didn't quite happen, even after many tries!

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/M...IBOMmlIPNl.jpg

try now - I think i managed to work out links if not direct posts!

Thank you stopinthenameoflove. I just opened it. Wow I guess that photo that David Ybarra posted really is retouched. Oh my goodness.

I worked it out in the end hehe! but my point is that Martha is a woman of a certain age - and in my humble opinion looks better just as she is

Thank you stopinthenameoflove. I just opened it. Wow I guess that photo that David Ybarra posted really is retouched. Oh my goodness.

Martha always looks great.

Thanks for sharing! I really like her big gold ring!

Well the Zombio photo is a little stark thanks to what looks like bad lighting our being taken in the outdoors...I'm no expert at these things so not sure.

Unusual for me to be obviously snarky, but frankly, I'm a little tired of the Botox Forehead-Mouth Pull-Tweaked Eyes look. All these women start to look more like each other than themselves. If you want to see what I mean, link to this overview of the mag's back issues:

http://www.daeida.com/XBack_Issues.html

Aside from the obvious differences of race-hair color and such, don't all these ladies kind of look the same? I mean, who would have ever thought Pet Clark would look like Dionne Warwick but with blonde hair? The blank [[botoxed) forehead, the tight eyelids that totally become like a puppet's and the pulled [[Joker-esque) mouths tend to give them a "frozen face," in my opinion.

The only two who look like themselves here are Phyllis Diller [[natch) and Crystal Gayle.

Also, who is in the middle of the top row? She looks familiar but I can't figure it out...another case of too much surgery I think.

I don't think Dionne has had any work done. It's just the airbrushing done to the photo featured on the magazine cover that made her look that way.

Again, I think Martha looks great. She is a natural superstar!

Thanks for the magazine. The articles are great and indepth. Thanks for sensitively portraying the artists in their photos.

Lorne

Is there still a fee to read these articles?

Anybody over 45+ needs to be airbrushed. A great invention!

Good story there is no fee to read it!
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Good story there is no fee to read it!
    Stephanie
    The photo on page 16-17 is priceless. Was Martha trying to copy the Diana Ross 1976 album cover?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Yt3M33fzOL...sdianaross.jpg

Yes, and that picture has bad lighting angle and WAY WAY too much contrast. She looks better than that in person.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well the Zombio photo is a little stark thanks to what looks like bad lighting our being taken in the outdoors...I'm no expert at these things so not sure.

Unusual for me to be obviously snarky, but frankly, I'm a little tired of the Botox Forehead-Mouth Pull-Tweaked Eyes look. All these women start to look more like each other than themselves. If you want to see what I mean, link to this overview of the mag's back issues:

http://www.daeida.com/XBack_Issues.html

Aside from the obvious differences of race-hair color and such, don't all these ladies kind of look the same? I mean, who would have ever thought Pet Clark would look like Dionne Warwick but with blonde hair? The blank [[botoxed) forehead, the tight eyelids that totally become like a puppet's and the pulled [[Joker-esque) mouths tend to give them a "frozen face," in my opinion.

The only two who look like themselves here are Phyllis Diller [[natch) and Crystal Gayle.

Also, who is in the middle of the top row? She looks familiar but I can't figure it out...another case of too much surgery I think.
    Oh, I don't know... I think Cleo Laine looks like herself. Now as far as Crystal Gayle... she's one of the youngest ones there, I think she's only 56 or something like that. Petula Clark has been retouched ALOT, but she is really old, she's almost 80. And top center... your'e right, she DOESN'T look like herself. It's CONNIE FRANCIS. I had to search, and look to find who it was. the fact that we BOTH couldn't recognize her on sight is NOT a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Oh, I don't know... I think Cleo Laine looks like herself. Now as far as Crystal Gayle... she's one of the youngest ones there, I think she's only 56 or something like that. Petula Clark has been retouched ALOT, but she is really old, she's almost 80. And top center... your'e right, she DOESN'T look like herself. It's CONNIE FRANCIS. I had to search, and look to find who it was. the fact that we BOTH couldn't recognize her on sight is NOT a good thing.
    My goodness Connie Francis, who is 73, looks 30 in that photo. Charlotte Ray looks really good as does Cleo Laine. You are right jillfoster, Petula is almost 79 years young.

May God bless them all.

Roberta.

In short, besides the content of the interview which I will attend to later on, Martha doesn't do herself a favor to have her portraits THAT heavily photo shopped. Gee! She should have protested when seeing the end results. Well, maybe she hadn't seen them. But this is really a bad case of photo shopping. They come better, anywhere.

Portraits of men or women over 50 without any wrinkle under the eyes... not for real.
    I wish I could de-wrinkle myself in my real world, just a little bit. To feel 55 again, instead of 62...

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Wow, Jillfoster! Thanks for figuring that one out. I knew she looked familiar!

I think Petula looks great but I still think it's over-Botoxed.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-17-2011 at 12:11 AM.

david ybarra
    welcome to sdf! thanks for the link.

kenneth
    v.funny post

that picture has been photo shopped within an inch of its life the only original pixel left is the white spot on ONE eye,the other isnt because they're not symetrical.the highlights on eyes are always the same distance from the center.................... unless 1.she's boss eyed and 2.the pictures modified3.picasso painted it.
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Oh come on Martha's pic looks like a mannequin!

I have been viewing this site for a little while now and just created my user ID so I could make a comment for what ever it's worth to anyone here as my first post. I read this article and could not be more thrilled with it. I am a big fan of Martha. She was so much a part of my youth and I just loved reading this and thinking how fun it was. I felt the intro to this was so impressive, the writing style is was beautiful and really did her justice. Many thanks for such a great piece on one of my favorite people from the fun carefree years of my youth!

The photo on page 16-17 is priceless. Was Martha trying to copy the Diana Ross 1976 album cover?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Yt3M33fzOL...sdianaross.jpg

There you go....bringing up Diana Ross again!!!! Yikes!

Lolololol. Had to add a couple to be able to post.

I dont know why Martha feels it is so necessary to be dismissive of them as a group and keep stressing shes THE ONE. We get it Martha!! [[But all of the vocals on Heat Wave made it sensational).

RossHolloway Guest
    Well I just read the article, and I also thought it was strange that she made such a point to say that she wasn't in a "group" the way the Supremes, Marvelettes or the Temptations were a group. I fail to see the distinction. Other than that, a nice interview, but noting earthshattering. I am interested to know what all she left out of her auto-biography that she didn't include initially to spare any hurt feelings or because now people have passed or relatoinships have ended. What does that mean, what didn't she tell the first time around?

I think its a nice cover photo, regardless of how much make up or airbrushing. Hard to believe that she's 70!

The Marvelettes, Temptationa and Surpremes all had multiple lead singers. Martha was always sole lead/ There are many recordings labeled "Martha & The Vandellas" that have no vandellas on them at all.

Ross, when her book was in its "creative stages" She read a lot of it to me in person and over the phone. There was info she had and information that I also personally gave to her that she wanted to include, but Mark Bego talked her out of it. That book was so white washed. Bego even changed Martha's style of talking by putting in phrases like "That was just swell" ...so unlike the Martha Reeves I know. Martha earlier manuscript was more raw. There is even more to Martha and Gordy's relationship that wasn't in that book....so. Bego was afraid to really get down with Martha's story.

Very true Loveblind! The group per Mr. Gordy, was gonna be Martha & the whoevers. This is not to belittle Roz or Annette, thats just the way it was.Mickey Stevenson saw Martha perform SOLO at the 20 Grand thus her invite to the company.She brought the other ladies in to have a group back Marvin Gaye.The company was impressed with Marthas voice.When the Rythmn & Blues Foundation wanted to honor Martha in the late 80' or early 90's it was SHE that insisted they also honor ALL her Vandellas & she shared the monetary reward...Marth has strong character.Roz & Annette & later Betty & Lois all can sing & had a distictive sound.Motown belittled all the groups by working them so hard on the road & then using the Andantes & others on later records...in the end I think that hurt the Motown Sound.

The original version of Mary Wilson's first book was also "more street" than what eventually got released--it happens all the time when professional writers co-author. Have you all read "Call Her Miss Ross" vs. "Diana Ross, a Biography?" Good lord--talk about white washed. I much prefer the warts and all bios.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Very true Loveblind! The group per Mr. Gordy, was gonna be Martha & the whoevers. This is not to belittle Roz or Annette, thats just the way it was.Mickey Stevenson saw Martha perform SOLO at the 20 Grand thus her invite to the company.She brought the other ladies in to have a group back Marvin Gaye.The company was impressed with Marthas voice.When the Rythmn & Blues Foundation wanted to honor Martha in the late 80' or early 90's it was SHE that insisted they also honor ALL her Vandellas & she shared the monetary reward...Marth has strong character.Roz & Annette & later Betty & Lois all can sing & had a distictive sound.Motown belittled all the groups by working them so hard on the road & then using the Andantes & others on later records...in the end I think that hurt the Motown Sound.
    They were all also included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies and concert.

Yes Motony
    Motown became a big contest with winners and looser, but thanks to the fans and cyber space a lot has changed. The fans have protested in many ways, that's why people like Martha, Mary Wells, Mary Wilson, the Vandellas, Flo Ballard, Jean Terrell.ect are now mentioned in a lot of the Motown tributes. The fans want the whole thing not just the four or five acts Motown always seems to include or mention. They want to hear more from the Marvelettes and the Velvelettes and so many more and through the internet we have a voice that's keeping these people's legacy alive.

RossHolloway Guest
    Back to the whole "I wasn't in a group" thing. It just sounds crazy and she should stop saying it because it makes her sound crazy. So while Martha may have been a solo artist when she first came to Motown, at no point did she record, perform or was every billed as a solo artist from 1962-72..regardless of how many people sang on lead in a group, that is not the definition of a group. I have never heard Smokey Robinson or Cal Gill make that distinction, yet I don't think they traded leads on any released singles or recordings for that sake [[yes, I know there are a handfull by the Miracles). I also don't recall Levi Stubbs ever making that distinction either. Does she make the distinction to let concert promoters know not to expect her to perform with the Vandellas? Has she had problems booking gigs without being billed as Marth & The Vandellas? Has she had a difficult time establishing herself as a solo artist since 1972? There is definitely more to her reasoning than the reason she has given.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Back to the whole "I wasn't in a group" thing. It just sounds crazy and she should stop saying it because it makes her sound crazy. So while Martha may have been a solo artist when she first came to Motown, at no point did she record, perform or was every billed as a solo artist from 1962-72..regardless of how many people sang on lead in a group, that is not the definition of a group. I have never heard Smokey Robinson or Cal Gill make that distinction, yet I don't think they traded leads on any released singles or recordings for that sake [[yes, I know there are a handfull by the Miracles). I also don't recall Levi Stubbs ever making that distinction either. Does she make the distinction to let concert promoters know not to expect her to perform with the Vandellas? Has she had problems booking gigs without being billed as Marth & The Vandellas? Has she had a difficult time establishing herself as a solo artist since 1972? There is definitely more to her reasoning than the reason she has given.
    In her book, she states that she was the one who employed the Vandellas, which surprised me when I read it. Having known how Motown dealt with its other groups, such as the Marvelettes, this seems extraordinary. But perhaps Martha was actually signed as a solo performer [[not too unusual, many were such as Dennis Edwards and Jean Terrell but ended up in groups anyway) and then M&V was put together. Still, if it walks like a duck, it probably is a duck, and how could she act like anyone knew her primarily as a solo?

It's a good article, if perhaps a little too fawning over her. Her stint as Detroit City Councilwoman ended amid charges of corruption and graft, not that unusual in Detroit city politics but still disgraceful for someone of her stature. After that I believe she declared Bankruptcy. But obviously this is a fanzine, not a "hard news" story of any kind, and I'm happy she is getting some online press.

My favorite joke ever from the TV show "Golden Girls" was something along the lines of Bea Arthur saying to Rue McClanahan [[I think it was her), "That car of yours is the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas!"

Great interview! Just finished reading it.

I like the final question that was asked. What kind of advice would Martha give to her younger self? This is a question that is posed to many celebrities and they always give the same sort of answer, "Relax and enjoy the ride". Interesting. Definitely good advice.

I also appreciated her insight on profanity in today's music. She is right.

They all look like wax figures at Madame Tussauds.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I also appreciated her insight on profanity in today's music. She is right.
    Oh I am with you Carlo. I don't understand the need for vile cuss words or violent rhetoric in today's music.

Quote Originally Posted by loveblind View Post
    anybody over 45+ needs to be airbrushed. A great invention!
    hahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

My favorite joke ever from the TV show "Golden Girls" was something along the lines of Bea Arthur saying to Rue McClanahan [[I think it was her), "That car of yours is the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas!"
    LOLOL They don't make TV shows like that any more. Shame!

Was it a group or Martha solo is a question that has been posed over the years and has been answered several times. Roz and Annette signed directly to Motown and were never employed by Martha at that time. Their only boss was Berry Gordy. Roz and Annette still have their original contracts that prove this. In the 80s, long after the hit and Motown years, when they got back together for a while it was a different story. Martha did employ them and her sisters.

RossHolloway Guest
    Ok, is it just me or has no one else ever found it strange that Martha Reeves found out that Motown Detroit was closing and moving to California by a secretary? Was Martha that far out of the loop in '72 that she never got wind of the fact that the company was closing down camp and moving West? Was she just recording as a solo artist at this point and the Vandellas wern't around? Was she not close with any of the other artists or song writers or musicians or producers? I remember first reading about it in her autobiography years ago and found it truly bizarre.

the Funk Bros showed up & the sign said CLOSED. Bizarre yes.

I do believe Roz and Annette have a different version of how the group was formed-that it wasnt all Martha. I will try to find it--I think it was in Touch of Classic Soul. Martha cant rewrite history. It was Martha AND THE VANDELLAS.