[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unsung : The Sylvers!

For those who haven't seen it, here is the full episode of Unsung featuring the Sylvers. This is one of the best episodes in my opinion. Amazing family with a rather amazing story:

This was a great episode. Edmund Sylvers used to date Freda Payne, does anyone know why they broke up?

I agree it was a very good story and sad story at the same time. I was a big Sylvers fan. Angie along with Joni & Kathy Sledge were my childhood crushes [[I must have had a thing for girls with braces now that I think about it lol). The group had a lot of talent and to think if Leon had worked some of those SOLAR hits on them. WOW!!! Really greatful for TV-1 providing us with these great shows.

Charmaine, Syria [[Edmund's daughter), Patricia, Angelia​, Leon, Olympia, James and Tyava [[Olympia's daughter)

Quote Originally Posted by Teeski View Post
    Charmaine, Syria [[Edmund's daughter), Patricia, Angelia​, Leon, Olympia, James and Tyava [[Olympia's daughter)

That is a great picture. After hearing their background story, I have a whole new appreciation for the Sylvers. A very real, down to Earth family........that made it!

uptight Guest
    What a pretty family picture? I had to watch all of the outtake video clips related to the taping of this documentary on youtube. Really nice harmonies.

Olympia was absolutely gorgeous , considering what she's been through I'm happy she's still alive.

Pat, Charmaine, Olympia and Angie.

The three little boys in the front row are Foster, Michael [[Olympia's son) and the youngest Sylvers sibling Christopher.

Olympia's son Michael and her youngest brother Christopher look to be around the same age.
    Chistopher is sitting on Angie's knee. Michael is standing in front of Foster.

Last edited by Teeski; 08-12-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Very nice pictures. Thanks Teeski!

I never noticed until now but Pat Sylvers looks and sounds so very much like CeCe Winans. Their speaking voices are almost identical.

WOW Marv, you took the words out of my mouth. I grew up in the same church with the Winans family and I thought the exact same thing regarding Pat looking and sounding liek CeCe. I did read that Pat is a minister too.
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Very nice pictures. Thanks Teeski!

I never noticed until now but Pat Sylvers looks and sounds so very much like CeCe Winans. Their speaking voices are almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    WOW Marv, you took the words out of my mouth. I grew up in the same church with the Winans family and I thought the exact same thing regarding Pat looking and sounding liek CeCe. I did read that Pat is a minister too.
    Glencro, doesn't she though? They could be sisters! You're from Detroit? I didn't know that. Any chance you've been to their brothers church?

Glencro, doesn't she though? They could be sisters! You're from Detroit? I didn't know that. Any chance you've been to their brothers church?
    Born and raised in the D. Younger than BeBe & CeCe and older than Angie & Debbie. I've been to Marvin Winans' church several times. In fact, I was even visting when he first started in a hotel room in the late 80's. Now he has aound 1,500 plus members. IMO, the best church choir in Detroit is there.

Wow, just read that Edmund Sylvers doesn't have a tombstone over his burial because his family couldn't afford one and I guess none of his 11 kids or their mommas would chip in to buy one. So they have a bunny rabbit over his burial site. I guess him and Freda Payne[[or any other girlfriend) didn't end on good terms because it's been a few years and noone has taken care of this.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfan View Post
    Wow, just read that Edmund Sylvers doesn't have a tombstone over his burial because his family couldn't afford one and I guess none of his 11 kids or their mommas would chip in to buy one. So they have a bunny rabbit over his burial site. I guess him and Freda Payne[[or any other girlfriend) didn't end on good terms because it's been a few years and noone has taken care of this.
    I saw that too, the grave. BTW, I believe he and Freda were only together for like a year.

I saw that too, the grave. BTW, I believe he and Freda were only together for like a year.
    Freda did attend his funeral though. Several years ago there was a Sylvers yahoo group and the moderator actually attended the funeral and posted photos

According to the Find-A-Grave website this is Edmund's gravesite.

Last edited by Teeski; 08-13-2011 at 08:24 AM.

That was one of the best Unsungs I've seen so far though I wished they've had made
    more futher mention of their masterpiece Wish That I Could Talk To You. That song hit me like a ton of bricks when it first came out and still makes me turn up my radio whenever I hear it. Anyway, I found out quite a few things I didn't know about the family, for instance I never knew there was a sibling younger than Foster. Olympia's
    tragic life I'd heard about before but I never was certain how much was fact or hearsay.
    I had at least one friend and a relative who were raped and I do know it changes a person permanently. So sad. Still, like the Ohio Players one I enjoyed this one.
    As far as that picture being Edmund's actual gravesite I'll say I don't trust it. From
    what I understand Find A Grave is like wikipedia in that anyone can edit it without
    verifying as fact the information. I need Actual Proof.....

Splanky I felt the same way you do about thats song, I Wish that I could Talk to You IMO should have been a standard like
    Ooh Child by the Five Stairsteps. The beginning of that song and the hook, and the harmonies is magic and as a matter of fact it remains to be my favorite song by the Sylvers. Great Unsung! Its answered a lot of questions and the manager getting 50 percent! Oh well.

You made an excellent point, stephanie. Ooh Child has been covered many times, I have or have heard versions by Nina Simone, Nancy Wilson, New Birth and others that I know I've forgotten for the moment but I've never heard anyone else
    do I Wish...Has anyone else?...

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    You made an excellent point, stephanie. Ooh Child has been covered many times, I have or have heard versions by Nina Simone, Nancy Wilson, New Birth and others that I know I've forgotten for the moment but I've never heard anyone else
    do I Wish...Has anyone else?...
    Mary Wilson recorded Oooh Child in the late 80's.

Actually, I was asking if anyone else had covered I Wish That I Could Talk To You...

Marv, I agree with you regarding Pat sounding like CeCe. There was something familiar about her voice and couldn't put a finger on it. I enjoyed their Unsung immensely but must confess that I never listened to their music. The 80s music for the most part is a blur to me as I was busy chasing after young children at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey View Post
    Marv, I agree with you regarding Pat sounding like CeCe. There was something familiar about her voice and couldn't put a finger on it. I enjoyed their Unsung immensely but must confess that I never listened to their music. The 80s music for the most part is a blur to me as I was busy chasing after young children at that time.
    Nosey, I watched the episode twice [[ it really is one of the very best ones so far) and kept thinking "Pat sure does remind me someone else......" then it clicked, CeeCee! Same facial features[[ to me) and the voices are so very similar. I listened to the Sylvers growing up mostly on the radio. By the time they had the hits "Boogie Fever", "Hot Line" and "High School Dance" they were established with me as a part of the soundtrack of that era of my life.

Went to a friend's bday celebration the other day and there were 7 of us. Three of us in our 40's and the other 4 in their 30's. We were talking about UNSUNG and I brought up The Sylvers. I could not believe that only one other person at the table had heard of them, I'm still apalled especially at the other 40 something year old. She said that she thought "Boogie Fever" & "Hot Line" were the Jacksons. They were always on tv growing up and stayed on the cover of RIGHT ON!!! By the way, one of my favs by them is "Don't Stop, Get Off". Was such a funky bass line.

ladonna Guest
    I hate the 80s stuff; even Miss Ross's. It all sounds so dated now. It is interesting, the classic Motown stuff never sounds dated.

That is a damned shame about Edmund's grave marker! Does anyone know how to contact someone that could see that his grave site received a marker? Maybe fans could chip in and make it happen?

ladonna Guest
    The Sylvers: [[Theme from Mahogany) Do You Know Where You're Going To?