[REMOVE ADS]

Say hello to Sean Conrad

Legendary Detroit WKNR [[Keener radio) DJ Sean Conrad has joined us. Please give Sean a warm SD welcome. He and I go back to Tera Shirma Studio A [[before Studio B) when he came in to record a band he was managing at the time. Russ was his engineer and they became immediate friends. A friendship that has lasted all these years to present day.
    Welcome to the forum Sean.

Welcome aboard, Sean!!

Best,

Mark

Hello Sean! I grew up listening to Keener13, CKLW, WOHO, WCHB etc, etc. This is a pleasure!

Marv

hi sean,welcome to sdf

Sean will be with us shortly. We are going through a couple of technicalities.

Hi folks! This will be my 1st forum ever so, it'll take me a while to learn to navigate it....from March of 1968 to March of 1970, I was a jock at Keener 13. I met Russ & Ralph during those years and Russ & I were even working together at Comcast cable as late as 2004! I even introduced Russ to his 3rd & current wife! Those 2 years at Keener were a blast for a 23 year old kid from Ohio and the memories are vivid in my mind...seems like only yesterday!

Sean,
    Welcome to the forum. Yeah, those early years were a blast for so many of us in the music business at the time.

Guess how I found Terra Shirma Studios to record the band I was managing in 1968? I opened up the yellow pages, closed my eyes and dropped my finger on to the page of studio listings! Scientific research huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sean conrad View Post
    Hi folks! This will be my 1st forum ever so, it'll take me a while to learn to navigate it....from March of 1968 to March of 1970, I was a jock at Keener 13. I met Russ & Ralph during those years and Russ & I were even working together at Comcast cable as late as 2004! I even introduced Russ to his 3rd & current wife! Those 2 years at Keener were a blast for a 23 year old kid from Ohio and the memories are vivid in my mind...seems like only yesterday!
    Sean, you were on in those days right after school. I was listening in Toledo, Ohio in those days. Do you have any of your old on air recordings, airchecks, you know what mean?

Sean
    I am not from Detroit so I dont really know who you are but I want to welcome you to the forum. I guess I will get a lesson in some Detroit history huh,
    Steph

Welcome to the SDF "funny farm" and enjoy...we could always use another inmate in these parts. LOL

Interesting way to choose a studio, Sean. I guess we all got lucky that day.

And I was hired at WKNR by Paul Cannon, the program director because he heard me on WOHO New Years Day 1968, which was my first day on the air there....! I went from WOHO to Keener....I only worked at WOHO for 3 months...

Where are you from? I worked for 22 radio stations over a 30+ year period....

And I was hired at WKNR by Paul Cannon, the program director because he heard me on WOHO New Years Day 1968, which was my first day on the air there....! I went from WOHO to Keener....I only worked at WOHO for 3 months...

Sean! Did you know or remember MOJOMAN? He just sent me a message earlier this week. We chat sometimes about WOHO and the "good ole days"!

Where are you from? I worked for 22 radio stations over a 30+ year period....
    Stephanie is from the D.C. area.

I do remember the name but can't place where I know him from. Was he at WOHO? Did any of you WOHO people remember Bobby Rich on WOHO? He was there before I got there but, later, I was his PDF at KHJ in L.A. He's been in Tucson radio for years now....recently, we discovered we had both been at WOHO...

I do remember the name but can't place where I know him from. Was he at WOHO? Did any of you WOHO people remember Bobby Rich on WOHO? He was there before I got there but, later, I was his PDF at KHJ in L.A. He's been in Tucson radio for years now....recently, we discovered we had both been at WOHO...

Mojoman was on WOHO from the late 60's to the early 70's. MOJO Man". One of the "Good Guys" Larry Love, [[Larry Weseman) In fact, they had an audio clip of some of his shows from December 1969 on Youtube for a short while . I recall the name Bobby Rich, but don't remember much about him.

Now I remember him...I didn't know him but his air checks were legendary...distinct style...very deep voice....

Welcome to the Soulful Detroit Family!
    Really good place to be.

Smooth

Now I remember him...I didn't know him but his air checks were legendary...distinct style...very deep voice....
    Yeah! He, Mojoman Larry Love is one of my internet buddies. Remember the "arriva, arriva...!!!" the Speedy Gonzalez thing? LOL!

I can't wait to hear your CD!

Hey, Sean. Good to connect with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah! He, Mojoman Larry Love is one of my internet buddies. Remember the "arriva, arriva...!!!" the Speedy Gonzalez thing? LOL!
    Did he wear a turban, or was that someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieHH View Post
    Did he wear a turban, or was that someone else?
    I do remember a DJ with a turban, but I can't remember if it was Mojoman that wore it. I will ask him. I may invite him to also join us.

Sean, do you remember WKLR "KOOLER" radio in Toledo?

I'm glad to see you plugged in!

If you google mojoman you'll see a guy with a turban who worked at WOHO and who's real name is Sid Grubbs.
    No, I don't remember WKLR....like I said, I was only in Toledo for 6 weeks....

Hi! And Welcome!

Sean,
    When we spoke on the phone, you mentioned a book was in the works. Fill us in a little, please.

Ralph:
    I have written a book about my 30 plus year radio career, working for 22 stations in 15 cities. It's in the final stages of completion. There's several chapters detailing my 2 years in Detroit at WKNR between 1968 and 1970. If all goes well, it will be out in less than 3 months. My daughter Rhonda has said for years, "dad, you need to write a book" so, I did. I do have some stories to tell.

Sean,
    It seems your daughter, Rhonda, was on you about writing a book the same way my daughter, Alisa, was regarding my writing a book. We have some pretty sharp daughters, apparently.

Hi Sean
    Please contact Ralph for the New Smooth CD.
    He will get you a copy Pronto.
    We would appreciate your comments and promotional assistance.

Smooth

Already been handled, Smooth.

Ain't it the truth!

Got it Ralph...thanks! We're driving about 3 hours tomorrow....I'll listen to it then!

Let me know what you think, Sean.

The Smooth Cd is awesome! I loved it! I have many favorite cuts....I looked on the CD but couldn't find, who wrote the songs?

Sean,
    Glad you liked what you heard. You must know how important your opinion is to me. Re: the writers. Find them listed on the CD. Basically, me and Teddie Morrow with Smooth adding to the fun.

Hey ol buddy .. welcome to this collection of fun people. How is the road treating you, must be a real kick.

Quote Originally Posted by russ_t View Post
    Hey ol buddy .. welcome to this collection of fun people. How is the road treating you, must be a real kick.
    Hey Russ! How are you?

I just going to ask Sean if he was there at WKNR while Dick Purtan was there. You remember him?

I sure hope you're getting air play and exposure. It's a whole new world when it comes to that these days...great CD!

It's pretty dam cool waking up to a different view out your living room window every couple of weeks. Next week, Seattle! We're about an hour south of there in Chehalis this week. Having awesome weather.

No, I came Keener March of 1968 & Dick was gone by then. He was sure a legend!

I just listened to "It Seems Like Only Yesterday" again. DAM! Ralph, that's a butt-kicker! Love it!

Sean,
    I wish you would go back on the air. I could use you for a little more radio promo.