[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No disrespect but were you there? Aren't you just repeating what others have told you.

Why do so many here vilify Lynda Laurence? I just don't get it.

I have to say I find BayouMotownMan one of the most informative and fair people who contribute here.

Roberta.
    I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy" prior to "Mary Scherrie and Susaye"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

In addition, Susaye sang several leads, and was unmistakable on them, while I don't know of any Laurence leads except the variant of "Sha La Bandit," which was again a version we never heard at the time and of a song which I always wondered why was ever recorded anyway.

Aside from that, Laurence seems to have done her best to exploit her brief tenure with the group, which I guess she has a right to, but it just seems to be kind of a hollow claim to fame, having really only sung backup on what was the Supremes' nearly least successful album [[though admittedly a great album which should have been successful).
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

Aside from that, Laurence seems to have done her best to exploit her brief tenure with the group, which I guess she has a right to, but it just seems to be kind of a hollow claim to fame, having really only sung backup on what was the Supremes' nearly least successful album [[though admittedly a great album which should have been successful).
    I understand Lynda had a short tenure with the Supremes but a hollow claim to fame or not she was still a Supreme nonetheless. Again, I simply don't understand the venom directed at Miss Laurence or any other Supreme for that matter.

I wish everyone could just enjoy the music and legacy of the Supremes and stop holding petty grudges against women most of us don't even know.

Sorry if my frankness offends anyone. It wasn't my intent.

Roberta

I understand Lynda had a short tenure with the Supremes but a hollow claim to fame or not she was still a Supreme nonetheless. Again, I simply don't understand the venom directed at Miss Laurence or any other Supreme for that matter.

I wish everyone could just enjoy the music and legacy of the Supremes and stop holding petty grudges against women most of us don't even know.

Roberta
    Roberta, No venom on my part. I just think her claim to fame a bit over rated, considering how she's leveraged it over the years. Thanks, K

Roberta, No venom on my part. I just think her claim to fame a bit over rated, considering how she's leveraged it over the years. Thanks, K
    It is WAY overrated. She didn't put in much time or do much while she was with them. But you are right, she has made what some consider a career all these years just from her brief association with the group.

The fact remains that Lynda was a member of The Supremes and did make some wonderful contributions to the group, both on record and on stage. Since 1986 Lynda has been in a group, alongside Scherrie Payne and four other talented and very charming ladies, Jean Terrell, Sundray Tucker, Freddie Poole and now Joyce Vincent. It is not a Lynda Laurence solo show!

Quote Originally Posted by supremesouluk2 View Post
    The fact remains that Lynda was a member of The Supremes and did make some wonderful contributions to the group, both on record and on stage. Since 1986 Lynda has been in a group, alongside Scherrie Payne and four other talented and very charming ladies, Jean Terrell, Sundray Tucker, Freddie Poole and now Joyce Vincent. It is not a Lynda Laurence solo show!
    Amen supremesouluk2.

Promo Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Promo Bump!
    Pray tell, what does "bump" and "promo bump" mean? Forgive my ignorance.

Roberta
    Well if you just don't understand it, then do either of the foillowing:

A) Shrug your shoulders and move on

or

B) Seek understanding of why "it is what it is"!

I'm not really part of this discussion, but what bothers me about Lynda Laurence is that, while she may be a talented singer, she had such a short stint with the Supremes and made almost no impact. She appeared on 2 albums [["Live in Japan" which few of us heard at the time and "Jimmy Webb"), and while some may say that Susaye Greene appeared on even less than that [[she was only overdubbed on a few tracks of "High Energy" prior to "Mary Scherrie and Susaye"), her impact was immediately felt and she made a huge difference to the overall group dynamics vocally. She added umistakable quality and verve to her recordings.

In addition, Susaye sang several leads, and was unmistakable on them, while I don't know of any Laurence leads except the variant of "Sha La Bandit," which was again a version we never heard at the time and of a song which I always wondered why was ever recorded anyway.

Kenneth, FYI, Lynda Laurence did not even do a canned lead vocal for the song "Sha La La Bandit". I don't think any leads featuring Laurence has turned up yet with all the mining of the vaults that has been going on in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kenneth, FYI, Lynda Laurence did not even do a canned lead vocal for the song "Sha La La Bandit". I don't think any leads featuring Laurence has turned up yet with all the mining of the vaults that has been going on in recent years.
    Oh, I thought that was her "era." I guess it was Scherrie-Mary-Cindy then. Always thought it was a really trite song, but most people on here seem to like it [[just like "No Matter What Sign You Are"!).

Oh, I thought that was her "era." I guess it was Scherrie-Mary-Cindy then. Always thought it was a really trite song, but most people on here seem to like it [[just like "No Matter What Sign You Are"!).
    Yeah, Lynda is the only one of the 9 Supremes that never sang even a partial lead on any of the songs. I am referring to studio recordings, not that one off shot she did in Hawaii when Jean was sick.

Sha La La Bandit is not a very strong song which is why it was not released back in the 70's when they recorded it.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, Lynda is the only one of the 9 Supremes that never sang even a partial lead on any of the songs. I am referring to studio recordings, not that one off shot she did in Hawaii when Jean was sick.

Sha La La Bandit is not a very strong song which is why it was not released back in the 70's when they recorded it.
    In the JML live show, didn't Lynda sing lead on You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    In the JML live show, didn't Lynda sing lead on You're Nobody Until Somebody Loves You?
    I'm not sure... but I do know Marv was referring to the studio recordings only. Which is what the general public consider a groups' "body of work".

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I'm not sure... but I do know Marv was referring to the studio recordings only. Which is what the general public consider a groups' "body of work".
    Exactly! I knew someone was going to pull "an example" out of somewhere of Lynda singing lead on a Supremes recording which is why I made the simple distinction of a studio recording. Not some fan made bootleg of her singing "Stoned Love" at a concert in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

As I posted in my POST, I am referring to studio recordings. Thank you.