[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Ed Sullivan DVD's coming in September: The Supremes, The Temptations and more

Three new DVD releases are lined up for September 13th, 2011: Best of The Supremes On The Ed Sullivan Show, Best Of The Temptations On The Ed Sullivan Show and Motown Gold From the Ed Sullivan Show [[Various Artists). I heard that each of these releases will include performances that have not yet officially been released onto DVD. Details to follow...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Supremes-...1797969&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Temptatio...1798007&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Gold-Ed...1797915&sr=1-3

These would be great; hope they make it out.

smark21 Guest
    Hopefully it will be more than just clips of the hits, but specialty numbers as well.

Yes, I have heard from a reliable source that some "specialty numbers" will be included...it won't just be the hits.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, I have heard from a reliable source that some "specialty numbers" will be included...it won't just be the hits.
    Carlo check your messages in a moment.,

I'm glad to know more Supremes stuff is coming on DVD.

If this is true, I hope "Always" is included. I always thought that was one of their best performances.

Now this is some NEWS! Looks like 2011 is turning out to be a supreme year! First the "Final Sessions", now a Sullivan DVD, coupled with the future release of "More Hits", and the possibility of new albums by Mary and Diana?

I'm in supreme heaven.

How many times were the Supremes on Sullivan ? 15? Most episodes [[except for maybe the first "Come See About Me" and the last "Up the Ladder") didn't the Supremes usually appear twice in the show? That would add up to be about 30-ish performaces, if they incluse all of the "hits" as well as all of the "showtunes". What a buffet of supreme goodness THAT would be!

I personally am hoping for "Greensleeves/Thou Swell" to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    How many times were the Supremes on Sullivan ? 15? Most episodes [[except for maybe the first "Come See About Me" and the last "Up the Ladder") didn't the Supremes usually appear twice in the show? That would add up to be about 30-ish performaces, if they incluse all of the "hits" as well as all of the "showtunes". What a buffet of supreme goodness THAT would be!

I personally am hoping for "Greensleeves/Thou Swell" to be included.
    From what I've seen, I think 15 is correct. All of their pre-1967 appearances had them performing all of their numbers at once. Starting with THE HAPPENING appearance, they would perform in different segments. Then for their last two appearances, they were back to doing all of their numbers in one segment.

It probably won't happen, but it would nice if they just put all of the Supremes' Sullivan appearances on one dvd. Added together, it's barely two hours of material, if that.
    Last edited by reese; 07-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.

really, it should be a definative collection of all the appearances, if they really want to sell it!

It would be great if they put them all on there, as they take up two hours all complied together. Most likely we'll see mostly performances of the special stuff and things where they sing live, since UMG seems to demand a ton of money for licensing rights to the recordings [[anything lip-synched) That's why "Up the Ladder" had a verse edited out on previous DVD's, because it was lip-synched and it was done to cut down on costs... but "The Happening" was there in it's entirety because it was sung live. Much of the medleys contain stuff that has a good chance of being in the public domain, so we'll likely see this DVD RICH in those things, such as the Fats Waller Medley, etc.

They're titled "Best of..." That tells me that it will not be ALL the performances, and maybe not even your or my personal favorites . I have bunches of Sullivan performances of Tempts and Supremes, and I'm just guessing this will be a rehash of those.

jmo

I received the below info in a forwarded e-mail about a week ago. It is critical of the release. I think the author is member here and associated with Motown. It wasn't marked confidential, so I guess it can be posted here:

Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with this. It's out of order and incomplete. They do things like cut after "Itchin' In My Heart" then go to other performances and then come back to "More". Many hits are missing.
    They've included a few non hits but not many. "Always", and "My Favorite Things" are there and "You're Nobody" from 1969 with Ed Sullivan.
    They include the hits medley from the final performance but then cut out "Someday" and end the DVD with "Forever Came Today!" Whose crazy idea was this?

Some [[not all) of the missing performances are on the Motown compilation but why couldn't they have just done this right? Apparently, they didn't want our input.

They bonus the disc with "Up The Ladder" fortunately not edited. Also, "No Matter What Sign You Are" is not edited like it was on the other release.

I guess fans will be glad to have nice copies of some of these performances but it could have been so much better!

Also coming out on Sept 13th

September 13th
    Kitty, Daisy & Lewis – Smoking In Heaven [[CD)
    The Supremes – The Best Of The Supremes On The Ed Sullivan Show [[DVD)
    The Temptations – The Best Of The Temptations On The Ed Sullivan Show [[DVD)
    Trombone Shorty – For True [[CD)
    Various Artists – Motown Gold From The Ed Sullivan Show [[2 DVD)

tell NBC or whomever that it would be great to also have nice copies of TCB and GIT On Broadway"....

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I received the below info in a forwarded e-mail about a week ago. It is critical of the release. I think the author is member here and associated with Motown. It wasn't marked confidential, so I guess it can be posted here:

Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with this. It's out of order and incomplete. They do things like cut after "Itchin' In My Heart" then go to other performances and then come back to "More". Many hits are missing.
    They've included a few non hits but not many. "Always", and "My Favorite Things" are there and "You're Nobody" from 1969 with Ed Sullivan.
    They include the hits medley from the final performance but then cut out "Someday" and end the DVD with "Forever Came Today!" Whose crazy idea was this?

Some [[not all) of the missing performances are on the Motown compilation but why couldn't they have just done this right? Apparently, they didn't want our input.

They bonus the disc with "Up The Ladder" fortunately not edited. Also, "No Matter What Sign You Are" is not edited like it was on the other release.

I guess fans will be glad to have nice copies of some of these performances but it could have been so much better!

September 13th

everything with these video releases always seem to be half assed, to turn a phrase

Well I guess you can count me as the only one looking forward to this release. A DVD with "Always", "Your nobody", "More", "Up the ladder", other goodies, and ending with the magical "Forever came today" all in glorious HD color. I don't understand why people always expect more. This isn't suppose to be a history of the group, and why does it need to be in chronological order? Why would they put EVERYTHING on one DVD. That would leave them with nothing for volume 2.

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that the Millie Rose Mame medley makes the cut, one of my favorite Sullivan clips and Flo shines on it.....

They also better put all the separate clips up on ITunes so I can add them to my music video library....

I've advanced ordered it, to be alerted when it and the other two[[Tempts,Motown) are released,I'll buy them,just wish they put some real care and finness into these things, is all,y'all

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

September 13th

If SOFA Entertainment still owns the rights to the Ed Sullivan Show and are involved in this , then I am not surprised. They are an unprofessional, unknowledgable and rather nasty group in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    If SOFA Entertainment still owns the rights to the Ed Sullivan Show and are involved in this , then I am not surprised. They are an unprofessional, unknowledgable and rather nasty group in my opinion!
    Unfortunately, the DVD's from UMG aren't any better.... considering the Kim Weston clip on YOUTUBE is better than what was put on one of UMG's DVD's. At least the Sullivan footage is all pristine, and SOFA does a really good job on the transfers and authoring.

This year marks the 50th anniverary of one of Motown's biggest and most beloved acts, The Supremes. With a total of 16 appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show, this DVD collects some of their greatest performances, including ones never before available on DVD. Included is the Supremes very first appearance on the Show in December, 1964, showcasing their #1 hit "Come See About Me," plus other timeless performances including "You Can't Hurry Love," "Love Child" and "The Happening," and, for the first time, "Up the Ladder to the Roof" which was the only appearance by the New Supremes [[without Diana Ross).

Quote Originally Posted by kalisa View Post
    They're titled "Best of..." That tells me that it will not be ALL the performances, and maybe not even your or my personal favorites . I have bunches of Sullivan performances of Tempts and Supremes, and I'm just guessing this will be a rehash of those.

jmo

I tend to think this is just a repackage of clips that were already being sold in Europe under another title. There's a Motown compilation as well with the same clips.

I heard it through the grapevine that this DVD was thrown together without any input from Motown/Universal. The performances are out of order and feature performances already on DVD. SOFA Entertainment really could have gone big and released all of their performances, but instead they threw this together. I'll still get it, but it's disappointing because this could have been a prime opportunity to release a lot of the rare performances. Where else could they be released except on here?

Here is what we'll see:
    - "Come See About Me"
    - "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart"
    - "My Favorite Things"
    - "You Can't Hurry Love"
    - "More"
    - "Love Child" [[lip-sync, street clothes version)
    - "No Matter What Sign You Are" [[unedited)
    - "Always"
    - "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" [[w/ Ed Sullivan)
    - "The Hits Medley" [[from last show w/ Diana)
    - "Forever Came Today"

with a bonus - "Up The Ladder To The Roof" [[unedited)

Brad

Do you know where I can find out what's on the Temps and the Various Artists collections?

I sent my complaint to SOFA Entertainment. This might be the only Supremes Ed Sullivan DVD we will ever get. They need to know that many of us feel cheated.

Here is the link to where you can contact SOFA Entertainment:

http://www.edsullivan.com/contact#wpcf7-f1-p47-o1

I sent my complaint to SOFA Entertainment. This might be the only Supremes Ed Sullivan DVD we will ever get. They need to know that many of us feel cheated.
    Carlo, let me tell you a little about SOFA Entertainment. Several years ago they went after 100's of individuals that had various performance clips for the Ed Sullivan Show posted to Youtube. They did not even respectifully request that the clips be removed. They had all those accounts closed.

A few years after that, SOFA Entertainment started their own channel on Youtube that showed complete performance clips. That only lasted a few months when they realized that they could make more money by "editing" the clips to somewhere between 30 seconds to a minute; just enough to tease viewers. Now they are isssuing many of the same old clips on DVD for sale.

It is their right for sure, but their methods suck!

Carlo, let me tell you a little about SOFA Entertainment. Several years ago they went after 100's of individuals that had various performance clips for the Ed Sullivan Show posted to Youtube. They did not even respectifully request that the clips be removed. They had all those accounts closed.
    I was one of their victims! I got the same "cease and desist" message. Now these people are trying to rip us off.

It is their right to pull Youtube videos and accounts, but I agree, their methods DO suck. Why not go after the people selling bootleg Sullivan DVD's on iOffer? Those people are actually making money off of content they don't own.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-09-2011 at 03:19 PM.

I was one of their victims! I got the same "cease and desist" message. Now these people are trying to rip us off.

It is their right to pull Youtube videos and accounts, but I agree, their methods DO suck. Why not go after the people selling bootleg Sullivan DVD's on iOffer? Those people are actually making money off of content they don't own.

Yes you are right. About 5 years ago, I bought a DVD put out by SOFA Entertainment featuring the Supremes and Temptations on the Ed Sullivan Show only to receive it and learn that it could not be played on my U.S. manufactured equipment. The DVD it turns out was produced for the European Market. I wrote for a refund and was told that was tough! That the DVD plays in areas where it was intended to be sold and they did not owe me a refund!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-09-2011 at 07:11 PM.

I have that same Supremes & Temptations DVD. It's a Region 2 encoded DVD, so it won't play on most players. But it does work on my computer.

I'm trying to think of all the appearances that are missing from this DVD. Can anyone think of anymore?

You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You [[1965)
    My World Is Empty Without You
    Somewhere
    I Hear A Symphony/Stranger In Paradise/Wonderful, Wonderful
    Hit Medley [[1966)
    The Happening
    Millie/Mame/Rose
    In And Out Of Love
    Thou Swell
    Hits Medley with the Temptations
    I'm Losing You
    Fats Waller Medley
    Irving Berlin Medley
    Funny Girl Medley
    Love Child [[with pink suits)
    I'm Living In Shame
    I Get A Kick Out Of You / I've Got You Under My Skin
    Someday We'll Be Together
    If They Could See Me Now
    Last edited by carlo; 08-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.

I'm trying to think of all the appearances that are missing from this DVD. Can anyone think of anymore?

You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You [[1965)
    My World Is Empty Without You
    Somewhere
    I Hear A Symphony/Stranger In Paradise/Wonderful, Wonderful
    Hit Medley [[1966)
    Millie/Mame/Rose
    In And Out Of Love
    Thou Swell
    Hits Medley with the Temptations
    I'm Losing You
    Fats Waller Medley
    Irving Berlin Medley
    Funny Girl Medley
    Love Child [[with pink suits)
    I'm Living In Shame
    Someday We'll Be Together
    If They Could See Me Now

Whoa! I don't what is included on this DVD, but if you are telling me that all of the above has been excluded, then what is the point in buying it? Geez!

I Get A Kick Out Of You / I've Got You Under My Skin from 1969 isn't included.
    Last edited by reese; 08-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Carlo- great research. The truth of the matter is that even if all that was included, some people still would not be satisfied. It still wouldn't be enough. I can hear it now. Why didn't they include testimonials from people who witnessed their first appearance, like they do for the Beatles. Why didn't they adjust the background vocals like they did on the #1's CD, etc. I am eagerly awaiting this release. The DVD is what it is. It is not meant to be the history of the Supremes, or show every Sullivan appearance they made. Its just a "best of" compilation. It is a budget DVD that quite frankly we should be greatful they are even releasing. How much money can be made releasing a DVD on a group from 50 years ago?

Marv and all.... for most DVD players there is a code that can be entered through your remote control that will make your DVD player play all regions. What you do is go to google and type this in: "Your brand and model number of your DVD player"+"region hack". I have a Philips 642, which will play all regions right out of the box, there are some models and brands that are like that, and they advertize as such.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Carlo- great research. The truth of the matter is that even if all that was included, some people still would not be satisfied. It still wouldn't be enough. I can hear it now. Why didn't they include testimonials from people who witnessed their first appearance, like they do for the Beatles. Why didn't they adjust the background vocals like they did on the #1's CD, etc. I am eagerly awaiting this release. The DVD is what it is. It is not meant to be the history of the Supremes, or show every Sullivan appearance they made. Its just a "best of" compilation. It is a budget DVD that quite frankly we should be greatful they are even releasing. How much money can be made releasing a DVD on a group from 50 years ago?
    Well... Dusty is getting a huge box set released with DVD's included, so apparently there IS money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Marv and all.... for most DVD players there is a code that can be entered through your remote control that will make your DVD player play all regions. What you do is go to google and type this in: "Your brand and model number of your DVD player"+"region hack". I have a Philips 642, which will play all regions right out of the box, there are some models and brands that are like that, and they advertize as such.

Wow! I didn't know that. Thank you Jill! SDF is rockin now. I've learned several really valuable things so far this week here. Thanks again.

Skool dem, I understand what you are syaing ,but they are just not treating you right with this offering! I mean, true this is from a group that got it's start 50 years ago, which also means that a DVD on them is geared towards a niche market of fans,historians and collectors. They should be focused on giving you everything in terms of taped appearances that you cannot get anywhere else [[although I've have had all of those appearances on tape since the mid-80's). It would makes sense to me that they include them on this DVD. What are they thinking? That a few years from now , there is going to be a demand for those old shows that they don't even consider now as being among the "best"?

Well... Dusty is getting a huge box set released with DVD's included, so apparently there IS money to be made.
    That is exactly what I thought they should have done with that last 70's Supremes package.

There is money to be made . So many people, younger people especially are now discovering and loving the music of the 60's ,70's , and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I Get A Kick Out Of You / I've Got You Under My Skin from 1969 isn't included.
    Thanks Reese! I forgot that one. I added it to the list.

Thanks Jill! I will definitely have to try this!

Skool dem, I understand what you are syaing ,but they are just not treating you right with this offering! I mean, true this is from a group that got it's start 50 years ago, which also means that a DVD on them is geared towards a niche market of fans,historians and collectors. They should be focused on giving you everything in terms of taped appearances that you cannot get anywhere else [[although I've have had all of those appearances on tape since the mid-80's). It would makes sense to me that they include them on this DVD. What are they thinking? That a few years from now , there is going to be a demand for those old shows that they don't even consider now as being among the "best"?

The Supremes were on that show a lot of times. So many in fact, there could be a full DVD's worth. I understand that. Yeah, I may have to back track on the comment about it not making money. I'm sure it will be profitable. I just think that complaining about it to them is the wrong approach. A better approach in contacting them would be to thank, congratulate, whatever- them on this new Supreme release. Let them know that there is an audience out there and with all the other appearances they made on that show, will they or are they considering a "part 2?" I'm afraid that complaining may just make them want to be done with it. I've only seen many of these performances via old blurry VHS copies/DVD transfers and more recently, Youtube. So to be able to get colorful, HD, Widescreen versions of what they DO have will make for an enjoyable viewing for me.

I really don't know why Sofa Entertainment has chosen to release such a skimpy DVD. This Supremes Ed Sullivan DVD is something I've discussed over and over throughout the years with various individuals. At one time, Sofa Entertainment had told me they would never release a DVD on The Supremes. They said they had tried it with the Supremes & Temptations DVD and they firmly believed there was no market for it. Then I had approached those in the know at Universal about the possibility of UMG licensing the clips for a DVD and they said Sofa Entertainment would not allow them to. Years later we're finally getting a DVD and I've asked SOFA why it's so incomplete. The executives have told me that it is difficult to license certain songs, that they put years of work into their DVD's and have put together the best release they could, which I don't believe. Many other clips have aired on television over the years, such as "In And Out of Love", "Millie, Mame, Rose", "Someday We'll Be Together", etc., etc. They didn't have "licensing issues" back then...so why now?

Some fans may be happy with getting what's released. But I'm not the type of person who settles for less. If you're going to release something, do it right. The folks over at Universal strive to do that with each and every release. Sofa Entertainment probably could care less about doing things right. They know they're sitting on a gold mine of footage and all they have to do is put a fart out on DVD and everyone will shell out their hard earned cash.
    Last edited by carlo; 08-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Especially in this economy Im not spending my money on crap, especially with youtube etc. For quality and comprehensiveness I would. They are idiots to think people dont care about qualilty.

I really don't know why Sofa Entertainment has chosen to release such a skimpy DVD. This Supremes Ed Sullivan DVD is something I've discussed over and over throughout the years with various individuals. At one time, Sofa Entertainment had told me they would never release a DVD on The Supremes. They said they had tried it with the Supremes & Temptations DVD and they firmly believed there was no market for it. Then I had approached those in the know at Universal about the possibility of UMG licensing the clips for a DVD and they said Sofa Entertainment would not allow them to. Years later we're finally getting a DVD and I've asked SOFA why it's so incomplete. The executives have told me that it is difficult to license certain songs, that they put years of work into their DVD's and have put together the best release they could, which I don't believe. Many other clips have aired on television over the years, such as "In And Out of Love", "Millie, Mame, Rose", "Someday We'll Be Together", etc., etc. They didn't have "licensing issues" back then...so why now?

Some fans may be happy with getting what's released. But I'm not the type of person who settles for less. If you're going to release something, do it right. The folks over at Universal strive to do that with each and every release. Sofa Entertainment probably could care less about doing things right. They know they're sitting on a gold mine of footage and all they have to do is put a fart out on DVD and everyone will shell out their hard earned cash.
    Well..... Carlo, to be fair, there IS a difference between licensing a song for re-broadcast, and licensing one for a DVD release. For some reason, the DVD licensing costs quite a bit more. Now having said that... someone at SOFA is blowing smoke up your ass about the cost of the licensing fees, because the entire Fats Waller medley is all old enough to be in the public domain. They do not have to license those AT ALL, but they aren't on the DVD, are they?
    Last edited by jillfoster; 08-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Two Volumes would have been nice. One for The Supremes 1964 - 1967 with all of Florence's appearances. The other for Diana Ross and The Supremes 1967 - 1970 with those performances including Cindy.

But that might have been too simple to figure out and execute.

That would probably be a better sales approach also.

Missing from either of the lists is The Happening, one of my favorite Sullivan performances, and regrettably Florence's last appearance.