[REMOVE ADS]

American Tunes - Songs By Paul Simon [[Sept Ace compilation CD)

In case anyone's interested in the soul artiste covers on this new CD [[Sept 27th) from Ace, which I referred to in the Teddy Randazzo post, here's the track list [[I think it's a pretty good compilation anyway, aside from the soul artistes):

Ace’s Songwriters series continues to be one of our most popular, with plenty of worthy candidates for inclusion waiting in the wings to join those we have already featured.

This month we spotlight the work of a man whose songs and records have been enjoyed across seven decades. Paul Simon’s compelling songs have been subject to covers since the mid-60s, when he and his singing partner Art Garfunkel made their own big breakthrough as artists with “Sounds Of Silence”. When the duo each went solo in the early 70s, Paul’s albums continued to be plundered by his peers, and things have remained that way well into the 21st century.

“American Tunes” features almost two dozen of Paul’s prime compositions, reinterpreted in all manner of styles from rock to reggae to acapella to adult contemporary. All have been chosen to represent the diversity in Paul’s writing, and also chosen because of the high quality of each individual reinterpretation.

Some tracks may be less familiar than others, but all are guaranteed to appeal to fans of Simon songs everywhere. Some of the biggest names in popular music from the past 70 years are among those singing said songs – a true indication of the high regard in which his words and music are held in his peer group.

Approved by the songwriter himself, Ace is delighted to say that “American Tunes” has been assembled with the co-operation of and with significant input from Paul Simon. As always, extensive annotation and copious photographs and ephemera make the booklet almost as appealing as the music.

I Am A Rock - The Hollies
    Homeward Bound - Cher
    The Fifty Ninth Street Bridge Song - Harpers Bizarre
    You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies - Dana Valery
    Leaves That Are Green - Dorris Henderson/John Renbourn
    Blessed - The Tremeloes
    The Boxer - Emmylou Harris
    Keep The Customer Satisfied - Marsha Hunt
    A Hazy Shade Of Winter - The Bangles
    Bridge Over Troubled Water [[Single Version) - Aretha Franklin
    The Sound Of Silence - Peaches & Herb
    The Only Living Boy In New York [[Weather Report) - The Tennors
    50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Rosemary Clooney
    Mother And Child Reunion - The Intruders
    Cecilia - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    Richard Cory - The Heptones
    Something So Right - Annie Lennox [[featuring Paul Simon)
    Loves Me Like A Rock - The Persuasions
    Take Me To The Mardi Gras - Johnnie & Floyd Taylor
    The Boy In The Bubble - Patti Smith
    Long, Long Day - Rumer
    Graceland - Willie Nelson
    American Tune - Shawn Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    In case anyone's interested in the soul artiste covers on this new CD [[Sept 27th) from Ace, which I referred to in the Teddy Randazzo post, here's the track list [[I think it's a pretty good compilation anyway, aside from the soul artistes):

Ace’s Songwriters series continues to be one of our most popular, with plenty of worthy candidates for inclusion waiting in the wings to join those we have already featured.

This month we spotlight the work of a man whose songs and records have been enjoyed across seven decades. Paul Simon’s compelling songs have been subject to covers since the mid-60s, when he and his singing partner Art Garfunkel made their own big breakthrough as artists with “Sounds Of Silence”. When the duo each went solo in the early 70s, Paul’s albums continued to be plundered by his peers, and things have remained that way well into the 21st century.

“American Tunes” features almost two dozen of Paul’s prime compositions, reinterpreted in all manner of styles from rock to reggae to acapella to adult contemporary. All have been chosen to represent the diversity in Paul’s writing, and also chosen because of the high quality of each individual reinterpretation.

Some tracks may be less familiar than others, but all are guaranteed to appeal to fans of Simon songs everywhere. Some of the biggest names in popular music from the past 70 years are among those singing said songs – a true indication of the high regard in which his words and music are held in his peer group.

Approved by the songwriter himself, Ace is delighted to say that “American Tunes” has been assembled with the co-operation of and with significant input from Paul Simon. As always, extensive annotation and copious photographs and ephemera make the booklet almost as appealing as the music.

I Am A Rock - The Hollies
    Homeward Bound - Cher
    The Fifty Ninth Street Bridge Song - Harpers Bizarre
    You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies - Dana Valery
    Leaves That Are Green - Dorris Henderson/John Renbourn
    Blessed - The Tremeloes
    The Boxer - Emmylou Harris
    Keep The Customer Satisfied - Marsha Hunt
    A Hazy Shade Of Winter - The Bangles
    Bridge Over Troubled Water [[Single Version) - Aretha Franklin
    The Sound Of Silence - Peaches & Herb
    The Only Living Boy In New York [[Weather Report) - The Tennors
    50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Rosemary Clooney
    Mother And Child Reunion - The Intruders
    Cecilia - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    Richard Cory - The Heptones
    Something So Right - Annie Lennox [[featuring Paul Simon)
    Loves Me Like A Rock - The Persuasions
    Take Me To The Mardi Gras - Johnnie & Floyd Taylor
    The Boy In The Bubble - Patti Smith
    Long, Long Day - Rumer
    Graceland - Willie Nelson
    American Tune - Shawn Colvin
    Looks like another essential compilation!

Not sure about this one overall but when Peaches and Herb's version of Sound of Silence was out back in the day, I thought it was HOT!!