Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
That's probably only in cases where there is no other overseer. All the folks I've known who have gone into nursing homes, the family [[and insurance when applicable) has always been responsible for the financial aspect. I've heard stories of patients having to be moved elsewhere when nonpayment has occurred.
I've been going through this with my Mother now for several years. She suffered two strokes and had to go into a nursing home for a few months for physical rehabilitation. It's been a learning experience. I always knew my Mother was smart, but this experience has taught me just how shrewd and brilliant she really is. I didn't realize it, but she made the move to put my name on the house- I don't know when she did it, but as it turns out, it was a very smart move.

Nursing homes are not at all the best place to land. Don't fool yourself, they are there to make a profit. Someone above was looking out for us, because the people where my Mom was were actually very good with communicating EVERYTHING with me as far as how payment, insurance and what not works. They took time to make sure I knew what to prepare for. When they asked if the house was in my Mother's name alone, I told them my name was on it as well and the lady said that was VERY good because then they couldn't go after the house as a source for payment. Then these people, explained how insurance would pay for so many days before the finances would become my responsibility. BUT they also explained how [[legally) I could do a sort of "reset" where the insurance would sort of start over with another period of payment.

I'm paraphrasing a LOT but I encourage everyone here- if you have parents, if you are a parent, learn how all of this works before you find yourself in this situation. Learn about POAs, trusts, wills, how to make sure you don't find yourself in hot water. Most important, DON'T leave the care to anyone else. Family should be involved 100% but I also learned through this experience, there are a lot of people whose families really couldn't care less when one of their parents end up in a nursing home.