Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
I remember Mary saying that the Jean-led Supremes got boos at some outdoor music festival.

Well, if they went on and performed their Copa setlist, I'm not surprised. Were the New Supremes a cabaret act or a pop group?

Though they could have still done some supper-club shows, they should really have remodelled themselves as a pure pop-group in the main to try and attract the attention of a younger audience.

And - sorry Jean - that set-list would have included quite a few 60's Supremes hits.
This is why I don't understand what was so difficult about having two shows. One that was strictly the hits for the teen/general public and the other being the nightclub act engagements. The Hollywood Bowl show in 1967 appeared to be specially crafted for that crowd as nearly all of their hits were sung with only one or two MOR songs included. I don't know why they just didn't keep doing that. There was no need to condense Jean's hits unto a medley either. No wonder she got tired of things. Plus Gil bringing back the Farewell charts during 1972 was just plain dumb.