[REMOVE ADS]

Stoned Love - 45 edit

I've always liked the 45 edit of Stoned Love as, for a single, it's much snappier than the album version [[which I also like). However, I have wondered why the decision was taken to insert an earlier section of the song at time 2:10.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this approach was taken?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I've always liked the 45 edit of Stoned Love as, for a single, it's much snappier than the album version [[which I also like). However, I have wondered why the decision was taken to insert an earlier section of the song at time 2:10.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this approach was taken?
    I wondered that myself. They did the same thing with the single edit of "River Deep, Mountain High."

i thought it was terrible lol. the cold opening was acceptable enough given they HAD to reduce the running time. but the awkward edit after the bridge and the butchering of the strings and backing track were terrible. the majestic peak of the end of the bridge with the girls in 3-part harmony singing "on and on and on and on" with the swirling strings crescendoing to the reprise of the chorus is ruined. on the album version that's the apex of the song and it's destroyed in the shortened version.

I'm surprised this doesn't bother me. Heard it too many times this way i guess.

oh yes I hear the difference at 3:22 ...that is nice!!

I'm not bothered by that edit. What sucks to me is that the full version intro was discarded, which IMO is one of the best intros of any Supremes song.

I LOVE the single edit of Stoned Love. I thought repeating "don't you hear the wind blowin'" was a stroke of genius. I never liked River Deep but the single edit is also superior. For Stoned Love the mixer brought out the bass and percussion and the thunderclaps were louder.

Motown had hired a new guy to mix singles, I forget his name, but he was great for this type of thing. His mix of Rare Earth's [[I Know) I'm Losing You was just incredible.

The single edit was excellent - especially how there would be a couple seconds of silence and then Jean singing “Stoned Love………”

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The single edit was excellent - especially how there would be a couple seconds of silence and then Jean singing “Stoned Love………”
    Agreed. At that time, we could buy US imports and I bought this after hearing it in the record shop. That track danced on that turntable whilst I was dancing in the audio booth. Fabulous memory.

John, Stoned Love brings back loads of memories for me dancing at Redbridge Tech discos and other events. It was such a floor filler. Great times!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I LOVE the single edit of Stoned Love. I thought repeating "don't you hear the wind blowin'" was a stroke of genius. I never liked River Deep but the single edit is also superior. For Stoned Love the mixer brought out the bass and percussion and the thunderclaps were louder.

Motown had hired a new guy to mix singles, I forget his name, but he was great for this type of thing. His mix of Rare Earth's [[I Know) I'm Losing You was just incredible.
    I like the tidied up strings [[mixed out at times) and overall crisper feel of the 45 edit. It was close to how some of the best mid-60s Motown songs were mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i thought it was terrible lol. the cold opening was acceptable enough given they HAD to reduce the running time. but the awkward edit after the bridge and the butchering of the strings and backing track were terrible. the majestic peak of the end of the bridge with the girls in 3-part harmony singing "on and on and on and on" with the swirling strings crescendoing to the reprise of the chorus is ruined. on the album version that's the apex of the song and it's destroyed in the shortened version.
    I tend to agree. The single edit sounds far more polite.