[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    very interesting how so many people on here tend to prefer the single versions of the hits. I'm almost universally on the side of the album version. i think all [[or almost all) of the singles are the same as the mono album version. to my ear, the stereo album versions are so much more enjoyable. the breakouts by channel, the greater clarity of the different components.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    very interesting how so many people on here tend to prefer the single versions of the hits. I'm almost universally on the side of the album version. i think all [[or almost all) of the singles are the same as the mono album version. to my ear, the stereo album versions are so much more enjoyable. the breakouts by channel, the greater clarity of the different components.
    I grew up on the single versions and, for a long time, I preferred the single and mono versions. They sounded like the hits I remembered from the radio. I was very happy when The Ultimate Collection was released on CD in 1997. Since then, maybe from the release of The No.1s in 2003, I prefer hearing the stereo versions and find myself listening to The Ultimate Collection very rarely. Of course, all the EEs made this all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I grew up on the single versions and, for a long time, I preferred the single and mono versions. They sounded like the hits I remembered from the radio. I was very happy when The Ultimate Collection was released on CD in 1997. Since then, maybe from the release of The No.1s in 2003, I prefer hearing the stereo versions and find myself listening to The Ultimate Collection very rarely. Of course, all the EEs made this all moot.
    yeah i was never much of a radio listener. i always like to control the programming - even back in the lp days. and one of my fav of all tunes is You Can't Hurry Love. i really dislike the single version 1) where the bass drops out in the intro - why?!??! lol and 2) the backing vocals are SO hard to hear on the mono recording. it's one of the more glaring differences between the mono and stereo IMO