[REMOVE ADS]

Stoned Love - 45 edit

I've always liked the 45 edit of Stoned Love as, for a single, it's much snappier than the album version [[which I also like). However, I have wondered why the decision was taken to insert an earlier section of the song at time 2:10.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this approach was taken?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I've always liked the 45 edit of Stoned Love as, for a single, it's much snappier than the album version [[which I also like). However, I have wondered why the decision was taken to insert an earlier section of the song at time 2:10.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this approach was taken?
    I wondered that myself. They did the same thing with the single edit of "River Deep, Mountain High."

i thought it was terrible lol. the cold opening was acceptable enough given they HAD to reduce the running time. but the awkward edit after the bridge and the butchering of the strings and backing track were terrible. the majestic peak of the end of the bridge with the girls in 3-part harmony singing "on and on and on and on" with the swirling strings crescendoing to the reprise of the chorus is ruined. on the album version that's the apex of the song and it's destroyed in the shortened version.

I'm surprised this doesn't bother me. Heard it too many times this way i guess.

oh yes I hear the difference at 3:22 ...that is nice!!

I'm not bothered by that edit. What sucks to me is that the full version intro was discarded, which IMO is one of the best intros of any Supremes song.

I LOVE the single edit of Stoned Love. I thought repeating "don't you hear the wind blowin'" was a stroke of genius. I never liked River Deep but the single edit is also superior. For Stoned Love the mixer brought out the bass and percussion and the thunderclaps were louder.

Motown had hired a new guy to mix singles, I forget his name, but he was great for this type of thing. His mix of Rare Earth's [[I Know) I'm Losing You was just incredible.

The single edit was excellent - especially how there would be a couple seconds of silence and then Jean singing “Stoned Love………”

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The single edit was excellent - especially how there would be a couple seconds of silence and then Jean singing “Stoned Love………”
    Agreed. At that time, we could buy US imports and I bought this after hearing it in the record shop. That track danced on that turntable whilst I was dancing in the audio booth. Fabulous memory.

John, Stoned Love brings back loads of memories for me dancing at Redbridge Tech discos and other events. It was such a floor filler. Great times!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I LOVE the single edit of Stoned Love. I thought repeating "don't you hear the wind blowin'" was a stroke of genius. I never liked River Deep but the single edit is also superior. For Stoned Love the mixer brought out the bass and percussion and the thunderclaps were louder.

Motown had hired a new guy to mix singles, I forget his name, but he was great for this type of thing. His mix of Rare Earth's [[I Know) I'm Losing You was just incredible.
    I like the tidied up strings [[mixed out at times) and overall crisper feel of the 45 edit. It was close to how some of the best mid-60s Motown songs were mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i thought it was terrible lol. the cold opening was acceptable enough given they HAD to reduce the running time. but the awkward edit after the bridge and the butchering of the strings and backing track were terrible. the majestic peak of the end of the bridge with the girls in 3-part harmony singing "on and on and on and on" with the swirling strings crescendoing to the reprise of the chorus is ruined. on the album version that's the apex of the song and it's destroyed in the shortened version.
    I tend to agree. The single edit sounds far more polite.

UP THE LADDER, STONED LOVE and NATHAN JONES sounded very compressed on the LPS...the singles really POPPED with much more energy....my first Supremes LP was the big blue hits 2 record set...everything sounded great and fat...when I started seriously collecting everything on singles, I immediately hated Nothing But Heartaches and You Can't Hurry Love on 45...

Wikipedia states Stoned Love was written and recorded as STONE LOVE....I tried to listen hard and still can't really tell what version of the word they are singing....

River Deep gets a bit too heavy....too Spector-ish and too much going on at once...but before the arrangement gets overcrowded, the single mix is heaven...the song I hated by Bread "IF" was turned into a fabulous ode to love by Jean and Levi...and I consider it a Terrell masterpiece...

The SL needle drop intro is a bit odd...perhaps removing the instruments would have made it less noticeable....My favorite Freda Payne song is DEEPER AND DEEPER....that is another needle drop intro....

Gman I actually love the 45 version of You Can't Hurry Love over the album stereo one.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Wikipedia states Stoned Love was written and recorded as STONE LOVE....I tried to listen hard and still can't really tell what version of the word they are singing....
    if nothing else it's a grammar thing. there's no reason to say "stoned" if we're assuming there aren't any drug references in the song. years ago a book/author mentioned that Stoned Love could have very easily been titled "Rock Of Ages." i was new to the "supremes' world" when i read that and it really opened my eyes to what the song was about. like the old christian hymn Rock of Ages. Stone refers to being solid, everlasting, eternal. Stoned would be either the verb "someone was stoned to death" or the urban slang of high on drugs.

so are the women singing Stone or Stoned? while i'll admit none of these three have the insanely precise elocution of Diana Ross, i don't here the "d" in any of the cases. there is a natural issue with the "n" of Stone and the "l" of Love. not sure exactly how to describe it but both letters are forward in the mouth and it can be tricky to clearly and precisely enunciate each. especially when singing at a rather quick tempo

very interesting how so many people on here tend to prefer the single versions of the hits. I'm almost universally on the side of the album version. i think all [[or almost all) of the singles are the same as the mono album version. to my ear, the stereo album versions are so much more enjoyable. the breakouts by channel, the greater clarity of the different components.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    very interesting how so many people on here tend to prefer the single versions of the hits. I'm almost universally on the side of the album version. i think all [[or almost all) of the singles are the same as the mono album version. to my ear, the stereo album versions are so much more enjoyable. the breakouts by channel, the greater clarity of the different components.
    I grew up on the single versions and, for a long time, I preferred the single and mono versions. They sounded like the hits I remembered from the radio. I was very happy when The Ultimate Collection was released on CD in 1997. Since then, maybe from the release of The No.1s in 2003, I prefer hearing the stereo versions and find myself listening to The Ultimate Collection very rarely. Of course, all the EEs made this all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I grew up on the single versions and, for a long time, I preferred the single and mono versions. They sounded like the hits I remembered from the radio. I was very happy when The Ultimate Collection was released on CD in 1997. Since then, maybe from the release of The No.1s in 2003, I prefer hearing the stereo versions and find myself listening to The Ultimate Collection very rarely. Of course, all the EEs made this all moot.
    yeah i was never much of a radio listener. i always like to control the programming - even back in the lp days. and one of my fav of all tunes is You Can't Hurry Love. i really dislike the single version 1) where the bass drops out in the intro - why?!??! lol and 2) the backing vocals are SO hard to hear on the mono recording. it's one of the more glaring differences between the mono and stereo IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

Mr T2 did the mixing. Mr T3 is somewhere around these parts and might stick his hand up to identify himself.

A lot of the singles I do prefer in stereo like Come See About Me, Reflections, Baby Love, Love Is Like An Itchin, You Keep Me Hangin On. With the latter especially because they mute half of Mary and Flo's vocals on the single version. And yes I even love that annoying kazoo on Love Is Like An Itchin on the stereo version.

Some of the singles I do prefer in mono are Back In My Arms Again, Where Did Our Love Go, I Hear A Symphony, Love Child and of course You Can't Hurry Love.