[REMOVE ADS]

Raynard Miner - Deceased ?

Hello

I've seen a post elsewhere notifying us of the death of Motown /Chess songwriter Raynard Minor.
    Can anybody confirm this please?

I found this piece by James Henkel on Facebook

Sorry to hear of the passing today of songwriter and pianist Raynard Miner. He was born March 18, 1946 in Chicago, Illinois. Miner was originally a writer and producer at Chess Records in Chicago. He was co-author of Fontella Bass's “Rescue Me," Little Milton's “We’re Gonna Make It,” and Jackie Wilson’s platinum selling “[[Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher,” as well as dozens on other charting songs. After Billy Davis left Chess in 1968 to join New York advertising agency McCann Erickson, Miner moved to Motown. At Motown he wrote or co-wrote "Soul Appeal" and "I Love The Man" by Martha & The Vandellas; "The Key" by The Four Tops; "The Truth's Outside My Door' by The Marvelettes and "Don't Take Away My Rose Colored Glasses" by Jimmy Ruffin. He later wrote numerous songs at Holland-Dozier-Holland's Invictus/Hot Wax labels. These included songs for Flaming Ember, Chairmen Of The Board, Honey Cone, Freda Payne, The Barrino Brothers, Danny Woods, General Johnson and Brenda Holloway. Many of the Invictus/Hot Wax songs were co-written with William Weatherspoon. Condolences to his family and friends. See lessce by James Henkel on Facebook

I’ve scanned Facebook and it looks like family members have confirmed his passing. Sad to learn of this.

I LOVE his work. A totally under appreciated songwriter and producer. I wish Motown got behind his work because there were some stellar productions that could have been hits when the label was trying to keep some of its flagship acts afloat. When the Four Tops and the Vandellas were struggling chartwise in the departure of HDH, Raynard had several songs that I believe could have brought them back on top. Instead Motown issued the wrong songs and let those great tracks linger in the vaults. “You Can’t Keep A Good Man Down” is one of my all-time favorite Tops songs and for Motown not to even release it at the time is criminal. To me, it could have given them another top 10 hit. It was fresh and different and had a great hook. For the Vandellas, “I Love The Man” was another missed opportunity by Motown that could have given Martha another hit. Not to mention the instrumental break with the strings and Funks may be my favorite of all Motown songs - it just wasn’t long enough!

In 2014, I attended the HAL Awards and met Raynard. I told him how I felt about his work and a huge smile lit up on his face. You could see how genuinely touched he was that his work was appreciated and loved by a younger generation.

I plan on playing his work today in celebration of him.

bradsupremes

I couldn't agree more...he should have been given the chance to take on the HDH/Motown sound. I've played 3 tracks on my radio show tomorrow...."Soul appeal", "I love the man" both Martha & Vandellas. Also, "Don't take away my rose coloured glasses" Jimmy Ruffin.
    Some great tracks on the Four Tops on the Lost and Fond CD
    Great Talent

I'm so very sorry to hear about the passing of Raynard Miner. He'll be Fondly Remembered for the many Soul Music Classics that he wrote & produced. Rest In Music, Power & Soul Raynard Miner.

Yes, the Vandellas' Soul Appeal and I Love The Man, along with the Marvelettes' The Truths Outside My Door are favourites of mine as well. Sorry to read that he has passed. RIP.

It makes no difference to his talent or who he was, but I am correct in saying that I believe Mr. Miner was blind? I thought I'd read that somewhere over my years of being a Motown fan.

Rest in peace, Raynard Miner. We loved the songs you gave us!

I haven't seen any confirmation about Raynard Minor's passing. It's always a good idea to wait for official sources or news outlets to confirm before spreading info like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SurJaM View Post
    I haven't seen any confirmation about Raynard Minor's passing. It's always a good idea to wait for official sources or news outlets to confirm before spreading info like that.
    Even though there hasn’t been an official news release on it, a simple Facebook search confirms his passing by his children, grandchildren and other family and close friends.

Yes I too believe he was blind

Can someone please amend the title for this thread - we should at least get his name right? Updated - thank you.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-10-2024 at 06:04 PM.

What were Raynard's biggest successes / best song compositions during his Motown period ?
    He wrote some real corkers at Chess [[Rescue Me, Higher & Higher, Because I Love You, You Got Me Baby, In The Basement, My Party, Who's Cheating Who, There Is, etc) and Mary Wells cut a song he penned while signed to 20th Century. He also wrote great songs for HDH at Hot Wax / Invictus ...
    But he didn't seem to be given his head during his Motown stint. As the periods listed above preceded & followed his time @ Motown, I can't see him having suffered from writers block during that time.
    Last edited by jsmith; 04-10-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Raynard`s other songs for Motown artists:
    "Clip My Wings" Four Tops.
    "I Can`t Hold Back" Four Tops.
    "In The Evening Of Our Love" DRATS.
    "Operation Teamwork" Vandellas.
    "Full Speed Ahead" Vandellas.
    "My Past Just Crossed My Future" Four Tops.
    "Sunshine Days" Marvelettes.
    "The Jackpot" Stylists.
    "We Will" Vandellas.
    "Take It Off" Vandellas.
    "Weekend Vacation" Bobby Taylor.
    "Higher And Higher" Bobby Darin live.
    "Rescue Me" Blinky.

And here’s more about Raynard, including quotes from a relatively recent interview:

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/checkmate

I always thought Marthas' "I Love The Man" should have been an A side 45.HIT material.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I always thought Marthas' "I Love The Man" should have been an A side 45.HIT material.
    Me, too, motony. It's one of my favorite tracks on "Sugar n' Spice".

I've also always thought that Raynard Miner's "Sunshine Days" by The Marvelettes [[from "In Full Bloom") should have been released as a single.

I received this from Raynard's daughter....

I saw the post regarding Raynard Miner and I can confirm my father passed away 4/4/2024. Thank you

Keia Miner-Mitchell
    Last edited by ralpht; 04-16-2024 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I've also always thought that Raynard Miner's "Sunshine Days" by The Marvelettes [[from "In Full Bloom") should have been released as a single.
    Me too..........