[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes 1974/75 in Concert - Cindy solo

Have been reading articles about the Supremes in concert in 1974/75, and SEVERAL elude [[including an interview with Cindy) that each Supreme has a solo in the show, Cindy's being "You Are the Sunshine of My Life". I don't ever recall hearing the Supremes performing this one, let alone Cindy as a solo. Was this a lead in [[or lead out?) to BAD WEATHER?

This was when the newly re-formed group with Cindy and Scherrie was only a few months old and were booked as the opening act for Joel Grey in Vegas. Cindy was supposed to sing You Are The Sunshine Of My Life, I don't remember if they got around to rehearsing it however. They found out they were alotted something like 45 minutes and Grey given twice that much time. As far as solos, Scherrie had Stoned Love, Mary was doing The Way We Were and Cindy's had to be cut. Mary had said that Cindy was upset about this.

I used to have a tape of that show. They sounded good but the audience just wasn't into them. When they finished Stoned Love, Scherrie always said "Stoned Love, what we need just a little bit more of." This usually got a strong round of applause but on this one night there was a prolonged silence for several seconds until the crowd slowly gave them polite applause.

interesting about Sunshine. had never heard of a full lead song for Cindy other than Dream sequence.

was this the run at the Riviera Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This was when the newly re-formed group with Cindy and Scherrie was only a few months old and were booked as the opening act for Joel Grey in Vegas. Cindy was supposed to sing You Are The Sunshine Of My Life, I don't remember if they got around to rehearsing it however. They found out they were alotted something like 45 minutes and Grey given twice that much time. As far as solos, Scherrie had Stoned Love, Mary was doing The Way We Were and Cindy's had to be cut. Mary had said that Cindy was upset about this.

I used to have a tape of that show. They sounded good but the audience just wasn't into them. When they finished Stoned Love, Scherrie always said "Stoned Love, what we need just a little bit more of." This usually got a strong round of applause but on this one night there was a prolonged silence for several seconds until the crowd slowly gave them polite applause.
    Yes; there's also mention about this engagement and how the set had to be shortened by almost half. Cindy talks about how busy they've been rehearsing Scherrie, in Scherrie's new apartment [[with no furniture!) for sometimes 18 hours a day.

In the past I've been pretty hard on Cindy as a lead vocalist, basically chalking her up to someone who definitely could sing, but her skills were in harmony, not leading. About a week or so ago, I was playing selected cuts from my Supremes- both group and solo- collection that I hadn't listened to in a long time. I played Cindy's demos, I believe from 1978, of "High Energy", "Til the Boat Sails Away" and "You Keep Me Moving On". It had been a very long time since I listened to them. I have to say I'm of the opinion that it was a missed opportunity to give Cindy more lead work.

She actually fit right in on "High Energy" and "Moving On", which I never would have thought she could pull off. I love the intro to "Til the Boat Sails Away" on the HE album, but as soon as Mary starts singing, I tune it out. I get what they were probably going for in pairing Mary with the song, but ultimately it ends up a super boring cut; perhaps the most boring song in the entire Supremes catalog. However, Cindy breathed new life into it, IMO. Her version may have been an unprofessional home version, but it sounds pretty good to me.

So learning that Cindy potentially had a chance at "You Are the Sunshine Of My Life" in the show and maybe didn't get a chance to do it is disappointing.

Just took a listen to "Baby You've Got What It Takes", which I've never liked. I still feel like this was the wrong song for Cindy to have a lead verse on. I did always think she sounded great belting out her part on "Let the Sunshine In".

Now I'm wondering what songs might Cindy have been a good fit for in the Jean years catalog.

I don't know if it was Cindy not feeling up to par to take on lead or if everyone simply just overlooked her, but could it have killed them to give her a song here or there. I can hear her doing "The Shoop Shoop Song" or "You Can't Stop A Girl In Love." For all she contributed to the group, the lady deserved something. I know she didn't have the strongest voice for lead, but its only because she was never given the chance to strength it.

According to Scherrie, Cindy recorded a lead vocal on "High Energy," but during the Final Sessions search no lead was found. Susaye did two lead vocal takes. Remnants of Scherrie's original lead remains on one vocal take which leads me to think Susaye's other take was dubbed over Cindy's lead.

I recall that there was a rumor for years that Cindy had a lead on "High Energy". When it wasn't discovered, I assumed that the rumor had its roots in the demo Cindy recorded at Scherrie's home and that it was some confusion. Your scenario is certainly plausible, which again, truly sucks if it was indeed dubbed over. How cool would it have been for Cindy- had she remained in the group- to have her first full recorded lead [[as far as we know) as the title to the group's latest album? Certainly a fitting accomplishment to the Supreme whom may have been the most dependable.

despite the rumors and stories, i have a HARD time imagining Cindy doing a lead on HE that would have been released. not saying one wasn't recorded but i think it was never to see the light of day. i just honestly can't really hear it.

Cindy had a sweet voice perfect for harmony. As a potential lead there was always someone in the group who could do it just that little bit better imo. This being why she was seldom featured as a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Cindy had a sweet voice perfect for harmony. As a potential lead there was always someone in the group who could do it just that little bit better imo. This being why she was seldom featured as a solo.
    totally agree. and i think taking a few lines or a verse is one thing but to lead an entire song, to go through all of the interpretation and all of the lyrics, to insert some unique elements and ad libs and all. just doesn't seem like her style of singing. again - it's not a diss on her. she actually often had the HARDEST harmony part. mary was singing the bottom/bass note typically [[called the Tonic in music) and that is a bit easier to hear within the orchestration and all. to "find" that note. Jean and Scherrie were doing the melody. but cindy had to sing the middle or inner note. plus there was often unusual chordal progression that she would have had to accommodate. her role was very tricky technically and she did it masterfully.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    totally agree. and i think taking a few lines or a verse is one thing but to lead an entire song, to go through all of the interpretation and all of the lyrics, to insert some unique elements and ad libs and all. just doesn't seem like her style of singing. again - it's not a diss on her. she actually often had the HARDEST harmony part. mary was singing the bottom/bass note typically [[called the Tonic in music) and that is a bit easier to hear within the orchestration and all. to "find" that note. Jean and Scherrie were doing the melody. but cindy had to sing the middle or inner note. plus there was often unusual chordal progression that she would have had to accommodate. her role was very tricky technically and she did it masterfully.
    I think the right song she could do well. I can hear her doing "Precious Little Things."

despite the rumors and stories, i have a HARD time imagining Cindy doing a lead on HE that would have been released. not saying one wasn't recorded but i think it was never to see the light of day.
    I just honestly can't really hear it.
    I guess not , if it was dubbed over

There's several references that in '74 Cindy was getting more solo lines. The "Fantasy" Sequence, "Where Did Our Love Go" in the 60's medley, and also several lines in "Love Train". Plus the supposed solo "You Are the Sunshine". So her role in the group was definitely getting beefed up.

Interesting info on the technicalities of singing background sup.

despite the rumors and stories, i have a HARD time imagining Cindy doing a lead on HE that would have been released. not saying one wasn't recorded but i think it was never to see the light of day. i just honestly can't really hear it.
    Have you heard the demo she did of "High Energy" at Scherrie's? She sounds very good to me. I have to imagine it would have been even better in a professional recording studio and under the guidance of qualified producers like the Hollands.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I think the right song she could do well. I can hear her doing "Precious Little Things."
    I adore "Precious Little Things" with Jean, but I can definitely hear Cindy singing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    very good point and yes! that song would have been a great fit!

i was thinking more along the lines of High Energy. it's an unusual song, to say the least lol. and i guess i think Susaye's unique voice and stylings are what help to make this song work. same with Come Into My Life. the DR Project website does a great job reviewing Come into My life and how it could have been a holy hot mess. but her talents, her unique kittenish voice combined with the more frank and sensuous lyrics makes it all work. and i don't think cindy could have pulled it off. and frankly neither Scherrie or mary could have done as good a job with CIMF.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Have you heard the demo she did of "High Energy" at Scherrie's? She sounds very good to me. I have to imagine it would have been even better in a professional recording studio and under the guidance of qualified producers like the Hollands.
    yep i've heard the various Cindy tracks and I don't recall being overly impressed. they weren't bad but they didn't really grab my attention as remarkable potential alt versions or "what could have been"

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Interesting info on the technicalities of singing background sup.
    i totally agree with mary's push back on the offensive and dismissive attitude that people/industry/public has had that she and the others were "only" background singers. she's 150% right that ALL roles in a group are critical and that she was a star as such.

now i get it that having the As replace M and C on things adds a complexity to all of this. but that's a different subject.

as a point of reference, listen to the alt tracks on the Touch me In the morning EE. Deke tried doing We Need You and Leave A Little Room both with and without backing vocals. the versions with the vocals are really the right approach, showing that even for a solo artist, the importance of additional vocals

As a point of argument, the background vocals on I Say A Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin are more prominent than almost any Supremes song. And I agree - the backgrounds on some Ross solo work exceed what the Supremes and Andantes did on Supremes songs.

All of which kind of goes to support some line Smokey once spouted about only the lead singer being important

yep i've heard the various Cindy tracks and I don't recall being overly impressed. they weren't bad but they didn't really grab my attention as remarkable potential alt versions or "what could have been"
    Cindy's "demos" always seemed so inferior in quality. Did someone say they were recorded in a home studio?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Cindy's "demos" always seemed so inferior in quality. Did someone say they were recorded in a home studio?
    They were recorded on a karaoke machine at a get together at Freda Payne's house.