[REMOVE ADS]

Casting in Michael Jackson Biopic

Is this to be major motion picture or a made for tv film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Is this to be major motion picture or a made for tv film.
    Major Hollywood studio film.

Never heard of any of these actors.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Never heard of any of these actors.
    Me either Mary but that’s because we are old not because they are unknown

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Sorry
    Could we’ll be the case lol
    I did a small spot of research on Kat Graham who appears to have made quite a few films, including successful tv work. She is also a singer with a few albums to her name. Didn’t like anything i heard on YouTube, though she’s certainly very beautiful.
    Should make for very glamorous Diana Ross i’m sure.

Biracial actress... yeah lemme keep my mouth shut lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    What are your feelings regarding the casting midnight?.

She would have made a great Florence Ballard though.

Bruh...I can't.

I'm not one who think these kind of roles have to be portrayed by lookalikes, but come on. Diana Ross was not lightskinned any day of the week. It's like casting Terrance Howard to play BB King. The most important element of anyone portraying Diana Ross is that she pulls off the essence of the legend, so in the long scheme of things, the complexion of the actress isn't so important. Except in a day when there is still a lot of colorism in Hollywood- despite some great strides made by some fantastically dark brown women- this casting feels off. Of course there's a high likelihood that this role is very small, and it's not the Diana Ross Story, but I'm still uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Bruh...I can't.

I'm not one who think these kind of roles have to be portrayed by lookalikes, but come on. Diana Ross was not lightskinned any day of the week. It's like casting Terrance Howard to play BB King. The most important element of anyone portraying Diana Ross is that she pulls off the essence of the legend, so in the long scheme of things, the complexion of the actress isn't so important. Except in a day when there is still a lot of colorism in Hollywood- despite some great strides made by some fantastically dark brown women- this casting feels off. Of course there's a high likelihood that this role is very small, and it's not the Diana Ross Story, but I'm still uncomfortable.
    There was fairly recently a major historical drama where a black actress was cast as Anne Boleyn. As least in this case they didn’t choose a white actress to play Diana.

However, it is a Michael Jackson Biopic so the Diana Ross may not be that essential in this pic. There are so many areas to cover with Michael depending on how deep they will go and with his family as well. Again this is my opinion without seeing a script.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    However, it is a Michael Jackson Biopic so the Diana Ross may not be that essential in this pic. There are so many areas to cover with Michael depending on how deep they will go and with his family as well. Again this is my opinion without seeing a script.
    I think she would be extremely essential to any movie regarding the life of MJ.
    Diana certainly played a huge part in his life, from moving into her house to co-staring in The Wiz. The fact he made her guardian of his children speaks volumes as to what a huge role model she was to him.
    Admittedly there is a lot of ground to cover, but i really hope Diana’s influence is one of the things that is highlighted.

I guess they will need a few actors to play Michael, with a new one appearing every time he has some work done on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think she would be extremely essential to any movie regarding the life of MJ.
    Diana certainly played a huge part in his life, from moving into her house to co-staring in The Wiz. The fact he made her guardian of his children speaks volumes as to what a huge role model she was to him.
    Admittedly there is a lot of ground to cover, but i really hope Diana’s influence is one of the things that is highlighted.
    Oh I agree - no harm no foul - I love Diana but I was just thinking there is Elizabeth Taylor, Brooke, Lisa Marie, Debbie Rowe, the model whose name I forget, Lving with Latoya, Janet, Rebe, Gladys Knight, oh and don't let me forget Madonna. Again, without which part and which stage of his life they choose to cover it could be confusing. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Sorry
    Lol, I guess the truth hurts!

The casting of Michael is spot on though. It appears that Prince Jackson is very supportive of his cousin in the role.

Oh I agree - no harm no foul - I love Diana but I was just thinking there is Elizabeth Taylor, Brooke, Lisa Marie, Debbie Rowe, the model whose name I forget, Lving with Latoya, Janet, Rebe, Gladys Knight, oh and don't let me forget Madonna. Again, without which part and which stage of his life they choose to cover it could be confusing. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    There is certainly a lot of ground to cover. I hope it’s a good one.

AFAIK, this film focuses solely on the Dangerous tour, so its scope isn't that sweeping on paper. Who knows if they'll use flashbacks and such...

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    AFAIK, this film focuses solely on the Dangerous tour, so its scope isn't that sweeping on paper. Who knows if they'll use flashbacks and such...
    That’s disappointing. I’m surprised there is even a need for a Diana Ross character, unless as you say in flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Bruh...I can't.

Right. It's really disturbing.

Where'd you hear that? I heard it was gonna talk about EVERYTHING but I guess it would make sense to condense the film a little since it's covering an eventful 50-year life. I know the J5, OTW and Thriller years will be covered in this as well as Bad and Dangerous.

Where'd you hear that? I heard it was gonna talk about EVERYTHING but I guess it would make sense to condense the film a little since it's covering an eventful 50-year life. I know the J5, OTW and Thriller years will be covered in this as well as Bad and Dangerous.
    Okay, maybe I’m misremembering. Could be that it’s covering everything up TO the DANGEROUS tour.

Okay, maybe I’m misremembering. Could be that it’s covering everything up TO the DANGEROUS tour.
    Maybe. It's early. The director is ambitious to cover EVERYTHING but how much can you put in a three-hour film?