[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes [[JLM) on Dick Cavett FULL VIDEO!!!!!

Wow!!!! All I can say is wow! Someone posted the interview a while back but this included the 60s medley and Tossin. And flawless quality!!!

https://youtu.be/Ez5g9i1Xc18?si=p2KkEoTBiLh9tZBx

That was surprisingly good - often the medleys are awful but this wasn’t. Where Did Our Love Go can be hard to sing live without sounding really tinny but this is good. Tossin and Turning is also good.

A great find. This looked like they’d carry on for quite a while.

I guess the reception for JW was weak. What else went wrong - Lynda lasted only a short time?

Their outfits looked great as well. They seemed so much more hip without the sequined gowns.

I agree - I was going to say something about them but I don’t know much about their clothes.

Did they ever wear these again? How long after this were Jean and Lynda gone? Who went first? Such a shame

This was the first tv appearance of Lynda. June 22, 1972

Y'all can kiss my butt. Jean Terrell was perfect. All that stuff about who would have been better at replacing Diana- something I have wavered on in the past- is nonsense to me at this point. She had it all. All the group needed was A+ quality singles. When the Supremes received them [["Ladder", "Stoned") they hit big. When they received something less, they went nowhere. Here, she looks and sounds every bit the star that she was and should have been bigger. She is special.

This lineup is probably my second favorite, behind the original trio. So much potential for them to go far, they just didn't have the material. They had it all: voice, looks, moves. Unfortunately here, my focus was solely on Jean because the other ladies were often barely audible. This is not my favorite Mary look, and I'll leave that where it is. Lynda is gorgeous, as usual. They move fantastically. Unfortunately, Lynda's mic seems to be barely working, so the dynamic harmony of she and Mary just isn't present. Mary does a good job on "Where". It probably would have sounded even better had her mic been turned up to lead level.

All things considered, this was a great watch. My favorite part was Jean singing "My World Is Empty".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Y'all can kiss my butt. Jean Terrell was perfect. All that stuff about who would have been better at replacing Diana- something I have wavered on in the past- is nonsense to me at this point. She had it all. All the group needed was A+ quality singles. When the Supremes received them [["Ladder", "Stoned") they hit big. When they received something less, they went nowhere. Here, she looks and sounds every bit the star that she was and should have been bigger. She is special.

This lineup is probably my second favorite, behind the original trio. So much potential for them to go far, they just didn't have the material. They had it all: voice, looks, moves. Unfortunately here, my focus was solely on Jean because the other ladies were often barely audible. This is not my favorite Mary look, and I'll leave that where it is. Lynda is gorgeous, as usual. They move fantastically. Unfortunately, Lynda's mic seems to be barely working, so the dynamic harmony of she and Mary just isn't present. Mary does a good job on "Where". It probably would have sounded even better had her mic been turned up to lead level.

All things considered, this was a great watch. My favorite part was Jean singing "My World Is Empty".
    Totally agree. Ah, to think what might have been have been had Motown put the attention and care behind this grouping [even despite tiffs and disagreements- 'who's the oldest'].

Mary looked and acted high as a kite. When Diana left, Mary’s classy reserve also left.

Did we just watch the same clip? Sorry guys-it's not the worst live clip but come on. Half the time they are singing the wrong words, Lynda is forgetting to lip sync some of the lyrics, and Mary is barely audible on Where Did Our Love Go. They look great, more natural than previous appearances, but it's clear to me that there was a lack of preparedness that NEVER would have happened with DR.

It wasn’t a lip sync. Mics were low. Jean messed up the words but the quality of the video was great.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Did we just watch the same clip? Sorry guys-it's not the worst live clip but come on. Half the time they are singing the wrong words, Lynda is forgetting to lip sync some of the lyrics, and Mary is barely audible on Where Did Our Love Go. They look great, more natural than previous appearances, but it's clear to me that there was a lack of preparedness that NEVER would have happened with DR.

Watching this clip made me realize there was nothing wrong with them doing some of the 60s songs. By some I mean that Jean does a great job with Reflections and making My World Is Empty her own. I think they just needed to reconstruct the songs like they did with the latter. But they really should have stopped doing Baby Love by this point.

Really? Go to 1:23. the backing vocal starts and Mary misses the first line completely

I didn’t see that. But they were live
    Really? Go to 1:23. the backing vocal starts and Mary misses the first line completely

At 1:23 they were doing reflections what line did they miss? And they were ohh and awwing lol

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    At 1:23 they were doing reflections what line did they miss? And they were ohh and awwing lol
    I'm with you. I don't see what Mary supposedly missed.

The interview really missed the mark for me. This grouping also had something break into their chat on the Mike Douglas show. I can see why some people didn't care for this grouping. Reviews for them were sometimes less than enthusiastic. Jean seems to play with the songs too much. Her voice is great bit she seems to feel constrained in a group setting. Lynda resembles Cindy when she wears her hair that way.
    I can see why later Mary sang softly for mic levels, Lynda and her are too low here. You don't want all 3 at the same level but Lynda is barely audible and she is a loud singer. Mary was too low on her lead part for Where and trying too hard to add energy to this grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Watching this clip made me realize there was nothing wrong with them doing some of the 60s songs. By some I mean that Jean does a great job with Reflections and making My World Is Empty her own. I think they just needed to reconstruct the songs like they did with the latter. But they really should have stopped doing Baby Love by this point.
    It always seems strange any incarnation of the group performing hits they weren't on [[ovbiously Mary was but not Jean or Lynda). Howvere Jean sounds mighty fine on these old Diana led songs and indeed on anything else she did. But it did get me thinking if they the 70's Supremes were doing 60 Diana leads what would Diana have sounded like if she decided to add 70's Supremes songs to her catalogue???

I think they look and sound amazing. Interview shows the tensions in the group, but the performance was excellent. I liked how they slowed down the medley. Jean seems to be enjoying herself. Nice to see them in their own clothes.

A fair bit of criticism here which surprised me.

Sadly, most of this grouping was gone within a year which meant the whole group sound was going to change. And they went silent for too long after that.

Otis Williams seems to be fairly disliked but if only Mary had done what was necessary to keep the group together and change with the times. It looked like that was happening here. But it was going to take a lot of humility to encourage another Diana style lead singer and I gather she wasn’t interested and in the end the group really went nowhere after this and any solo careers fizzled.

Sometimes it’s wise to realize your limitations like Otis did and take a different direction.

I don't think Mary was high, but she does seem to have a bit of a 'tude here.

It's funny with Dick asking about stand ins because wasn't this around the time when they all got a bad flu and they each missed a performance at the Copa? They kept having to get poor pregnant Cindy to fill in several times.

I love when rare footage like this pops up out of nowhere. It's too bad that it took so long...here we are 50 years later. I remember when the interview segment surfaced and was hoping that these performances would eventually be published online as well. I'm quite happy to see this appearance in its entirety.

I loved everything about this appearance that they made on Dick Cavett's show. I agree that their outfits are a nice change from the gowns. Jean is particularly dazzling during these performances. I agree that she was the perfect replacement for Diana. I wish Jean had stuck with the group longer. She always had a marvelous voice and she sounded wonderful during these performances. I've always been a big fan of the 70's Supremes. You can sense the tension between Mary and Jean, especially when Mary fibs and says that Jean is the older one. It was an odd moment.

I think it was just a bit not trying to look too deep into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I love when rare footage like this pops up out of nowhere. It's too bad that it took so long...here we are 50 years later. I remember when the interview segment surfaced and was hoping that these performances would eventually be published online as well. I'm quite happy to see this appearance in its entirety.

I loved everything about this appearance that they made on Dick Cavett's show. I agree that their outfits are a nice change from the gowns. Jean is particularly dazzling during these performances. I agree that she was the perfect replacement for Diana. I wish Jean had stuck with the group longer. She always had a marvelous voice and she sounded wonderful during these performances. I've always been a big fan of the 70's Supremes. You can sense the tension between Mary and Jean, especially when Mary fibs and says that Jean is the older one. It was an odd moment.

I like their look and Jean gave excellent vocals. But, even though this appearance was to promote their night club show, I wish they had done something more current than a 60s hit medley and Tossin and Turnin. It's like they are already an oldies/nostalgia act. Given that Webb was their current album I would have ditched the 60s hit medley for Stoned Love.

I LOVE everything about this performance, Mary Jean and Lynda look and sound great here, Pure Class and Sophistication, I also enjoyed the interview, they were so young in 72. I notice a lot of people posting, is looking at this performance for drama lol, just enjoy it, I LOVE It.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I like their look and Jean gave excellent vocals. But, even though this appearance was to promote their night club show, I wish they had done something more current than a 60s hit medley and Tossin and Turnin. It's like they are already an oldies/nostalgia act. Given that Webb was their current album I would have ditched the 60s hit medley for Stoned Love.
    The Webb lp didn't come out til months later. Automatically Sunshine was the current single and it was stalling on the charts and they could have given it some gas here, but they did Tossin' instead

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    This was the first tv appearance of Lynda. June 22, 1972
    Thanks for posting the date. Mary talks how Jimmy Webb just produced an album for the group, and Wiki says it was finished in June, 1972. I wonder if there was ever any thought of releasing "Tossin'" as a single? IGIMTM wasn't released until September, 1972, and the eventual album in November, 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Totally agree. Ah, to think what might have been have been had Motown put the attention and care behind this grouping [even despite tiffs and disagreements- 'who's the oldest'].
    I'm thinking the only option Motown had at this point to make the lineup work was to bring in an outside producer not named Jimmy Webb. I think this grouping of Supremes would have been a dream pairing with Thom Bell. As far as the Motown inner circle, I'm not opposed to them doing something with Michael Masser, although I wouldn't want an entire project from the pairing. I'm just not convinced that Motown had any more in house producers who could have taken MJL to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I think this might be my favorite version of "Baby Love", a song I don't care for at all. I will admit that when it comes on at the beginning of Cooley High, it does sound particularly good for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    It always seems strange any incarnation of the group performing hits they weren't on [[ovbiously Mary was but not Jean or Lynda). Howvere Jean sounds mighty fine on these old Diana led songs and indeed on anything else she did. But it did get me thinking if they the 70's Supremes were doing 60 Diana leads what would Diana have sounded like if she decided to add 70's Supremes songs to her catalogue???
    There's actually a thread somewhere in SD universe that I started around the idea of the Supremes and Diana Ross doing an album like The Dells VS The Dramatics, except on one side it would be the Supremes covering Diana tunes and on the other Diana covering Jean Supremes tunes. If I remember correctly, I was fond of the idea of the Supremes doing "Touch Me In the Morning" and Diana doing "Nathan Jones".

Somehow I can hear Jean doing Diana's songs, but I just can not hear Diana doing Up The Ladder or Stoned Love

Yes, Motown was considering issuing Tossin' and Turnin' as a single in early 1973. But a singer named Bunny Sigler released it instead.

Motown was all but certain that no tracks on the Webb lp could be a single, which is why they stuck IGIMTM on there. In an interview I did with Jean, as she was recollecting these events there was a bit of anger in her voice. She also said, "I found a lot of Motown's promotion department over this. We had a lot of feelings for the Jimmy Webb album." Jimmy Webb in a later interview even blamed the album's failure on Jean

I went back and watched that clip again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. if you go to 1:20, and watch Lynda and Mary singing "ooooh ooooh," Lynda's mouth forms an "O" but Mary remains smiling and there is no change in the backing sound. Ergo, I must argue this backing track was pre-recorded. Jean is obviously singing live. I'm not being argumentative--I really think I'm not imagining this. Flame on, but please keep vicious personal attacks to a minimum. Thank you.

I'm not being argumentative--I really think I'm not imagining this. Flame on, but please keep vicious personal attacks to a minimum. Thank you.
    Who was vicious or flaming? I thought the disagreement replies were courteous and respectful in their disagreements.

Oh for God's sake. I was just kidding and I never said anyone was vicious. I was jokingly saying don't flame me for being in the minority on this issue. This is exactly why people don't want to talk online anymore

Oh for God's sake. I was just kidding and I never said anyone was vicious. I was jokingly saying don't flame me for being in the minority on this issue. This is exactly why people don't want to talk online anymore
    No worries. I didn't get your joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Yes, Motown was considering issuing Tossin' and Turnin' as a single in early 1973. But a singer named Bunny Sigler released it instead.

Motown was all but certain that no tracks on the Webb lp could be a single, which is why they stuck IGIMTM on there. In an interview I did with Jean, as she was recollecting these events there was a bit of anger in her voice. She also said, "I found a lot of Motown's promotion department over this. We had a lot of feelings for the Jimmy Webb album." Jimmy Webb in a later interview even blamed the album's failure on Jean
    As much as I love Jimmy Webb, the album's failure really falls on him. The song selection, arrangements, having Jean sing in keys that made her sound shrill, etc. It's hard to blame Motown for not wanting to push or invest in something that frankly isn't all that great to begin with. Who could blame them? Even the greats have their bad moments - for Webb, this is the one album that just missed the mark.

Mary did a quick ooh then smiled for a quick second. She’s been doing that in concerts for a while. This is live.
    I went back and watched that clip again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. if you go to 1:20, and watch Lynda and Mary singing "ooooh ooooh," Lynda's mouth forms an "O" but Mary remains smiling and there is no change in the backing sound. Ergo, I must argue this backing track was pre-recorded. Jean is obviously singing live. I'm not being argumentative--I really think I'm not imagining this. Flame on, but please keep vicious personal attacks to a minimum. Thank you.

sorry - not exactly following here. did you mean to type "i FOUGHT a lot of Motown's promotion department over this."

the one thing i was so hoping for was to see/hear Lynda's incredible "wooooooooo!!!!" during the 2nd bridge on Tossin.

I agree with everyone's general opinion on their work with JW, song selection, why do an oldie like tossin, etc. But on the Japan cd, when Jean wraps up the second bridge of "jumped out of bed, turned on the light..." right before they go back into the main chorus again at 2:40 Lynda just RIPS out a wooooooooooooo! that reaches up to the stratosphere. just love it!!! so i was hoping to see that live but alas. there's not much here. you can't hear her very well, she was new so probably not really ad libbing and all as much.

but at the end of the day, it's always a treasure to find a pristine video of the girls

What does it mean - “I found a lot of Motown’s promotion department over this” and “We had a lot of feelings for the JW album’?

The Webb lp didn't come out til months later. Automatically Sunshine was the current single and it was stalling on the charts and they could have given it some gas here, but they did Tossin' instead
    You know after I hit the post button I decided to look up when the Webb album was released and realized this Cavett show was several months before the release. Now this makes the choice of Tossin and Turnin as the other song to perform even odder. Automatically Sunshine would have been a more sensible choice as that was their current single. Did they even have a routine for that song? Was it ever part of their show as a full song performance/

So odd they, or should I say, Mary was already promoting the Webb album, months before it was released. Sure, mention they finished recording with him, but find a way to sway the conversation to their current album, or at least their live show appearances. In a way this is a harbinger of what happened to Diana at time of Force Behind the Power as she was making appearances on American TV and touring for the album months before it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    You know after I hit the post button I decided to look up when the Webb album was released and realized this Cavett show was several months before the release. Now this makes the choice of Tossin and Turnin as the other song to perform even odder. Automatically Sunshine would have been a more sensible choice as that was their current single. Did they even have a routine for that song? Was it ever part of their show as a full song performance/

So odd they, or should I say, Mary was already promoting the Webb album, months before it was released. Sure, mention they finished recording with him, but find a way to sway the conversation to their current album, or at least their live show appearances. In a way this is a harbinger of what happened to Diana at time of Force Behind the Power as she was making appearances on American TV and touring for the album months before it was released.

I would venture a guess and say this is the kind of thing that happens when the hit making days are ending or over - AS barely scraped the Pop Top 40 and the Supremes and Motown had probably given up and moved on because they knew it wasn’t going to be a big hit

If anything, they should have been promoting YOUR WONDERFUL SWEET SWEET LOVE, which was released in July, unless this hadn't been slated for released when this was taped in June, or prior.

I have to say, this is a treasure. I know we often nitpick on the details, but honestly, I love everything about the musical performances, specifically. The vocals, the casual 70s glam, the choreography -everything! It's graceful while still just loose enough. *chef's kiss*

One thing about The Supremes, and I'm just going by what has surfaced so far on YouTube, every lineup has at least one of these moments that just fulfills the girl group fantasy completely. To me, this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I have to say, this is a treasure. I know we often nitpick on the details, but honestly, I love everything about the musical performances, specifically. The vocals, the casual 70s glam, the choreography -everything! It's graceful while still just loose enough. *chef's kiss*

One thing about The Supremes, and I'm just going by what has surfaced so far on YouTube, every lineup has at least one of these moments that just fulfills the girl group fantasy completely. To me, this is one of them.
    I couldn't agree more. It's easy to criticize things in hindsight. I really didn't think we'd ever even see this footage, let alone have it be so good. The Supremes certainly never lacked talent.