[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm sure SOMEONE will correct me, but wasn't Flo responsible for bringing Mary into the fold, then in turn, Mary bringing Diana?

So would there have been any "pestering their way in" if Flo hadn't initiated the formation?

That said:

Diana's destiny was to be a success. Whether it was a secretary, a fashion designer, or a doctor like her sister Barbara Ross-Lee. Hearing how competitive Diana was/is, she probably would have been whatever is one step up from a doctor, lol.

Generally speaking, didn't all the Rosses have some sort of successes? Barbara a doctor, Rita a politician, Arthur a songwriter, Chico a nightclub owner, and Fred Jr.?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm sure SOMEONE will correct me, but wasn't Flo responsible for bringing Mary into the fold, then in turn, Mary bringing Diana?

So would there have been any "pestering their way in" if Flo hadn't initiated the formation?

That said:

Diana's destiny was to be a success. Whether it was a secretary, a fashion designer, or a doctor like her sister Barbara Ross-Lee. Hearing how competitive Diana was/is, she probably would have been whatever is one step up from a doctor, lol.

Generally speaking, didn't all the Rosses have some sort of successes? Barbara a doctor, Rita a politician, Arthur a songwriter, Chico a nightclub owner, and Fred Jr.?
    The story of their origins is told so many times, so many different ways. I think the "facts" are that Flo brought Mary in, and Paul Williams brought Diana in. I seem to recall Florence once saying that she talked to Diana about joining the group, so it's possible that Paul told Flo about Diana.

I'm guessing that Diana did not have the skills to be a soloist early on. Yes, she was blessed with a singing voice, but it was at times on the "strange" side, which probably lent itself well to a group scenario, but might have been less attractive on its own. With singing groups being the way in for a lot of young people at the time, it's likely she may not have pursued a career as a singer on her own. And without those valuable years from 1959-1964 where she is honing her skills as a vocalist within the Supremes, she may never have developed into the quality talent that she ultimately became.

Now, had Flo and Mary grown so disillusioned by the lack of success for the group that they both dropped out prior to "Where Did Our Love Go", I think Diana would have forged on as a solo. And while she still would not have yet had all the things that eventually made her a worldwide sensation [[as a solo), I think she had enough of the "it" factor to continue as a solo from "Where" on forward.