Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
I feel certain, and Diana said this in an interview many years ago, that had there been no Supremes she would have gone into textiles and clothes design. Remember she chose and designed all the clothes in Mahogany. I think she enjoyed singing but never gave it a serious consideration until the Primettes started appearing locally in small amateurish venues. She loved the applause. This would have been when the show biz bug bit her.

As far as getting into the group, Mary was the second to join, then Betty. Eddie Kendricks recommended Diane Ross. Upon meeting her, Mary and Betty were less than impressed with her personality or her nasal singing. What interested Flo was, again, Diana's talent for design and Flo reasoned that Diane could make their stage attire which she did. Ironically, it was Florence who lobbied for Diana Ross to join her group.
First time I heard of this but it wouldn't surprise me. Flo was a true team player. I think Diana was probably more intimidated by Mary and Betty but Flo was one of those who saw something in you and said "she ain't bad, let her in". Even though Mary and Diana ended up being the closest. I think after a while DMF forged a bond, albeit one that was bumpy to begin with, that led to them to chase their goals.