[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    A big problem with Touch, and pretty much all the Jean albums, was promotion. I'm not talking about the label's promotion, but instead the group's promotion of themselves. At this point the Supremes were still working constantly. By the time of Touch, there was more than enough of their own music to make a show. I'm not suggesting that the requisite Supremes hits of the 60s be dropped- at least not all of them- or that the group couldn't include a tune or two of a covered popular song. But it makes no sense that the Supremes would ever step onstage and not sing songs from their current lps.

I can imagine "This Is the Story" being a particularly dramatic opening for a show. "Here Comes the Sunrise", "Johnny Raven", "Happy", pretty much the whole album would have made for an excellent show. And how about closing with "It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye"?

We talk a lot about how much TV the group should have done and all of that, but they were being seen by hundreds of thousands of people every year in their shows. That would have been prime promotion and exposure for what the public could find on their current album and instead, they were doing the old hits, other people's songs, and showtunes. No wonder the albums weren't selling like they should have.
    couldn't agree more. or how about the Flip Wilson episode where they did the medley of SL and Time To Break. I don't really think the two songs worked well in a medley format. frankly they should have just done SL and then another tune from the album. maybe Time or maybe not. they ended up doing We've Only Just Begun and did it well. but other than that being a huge recent hit, why do that song? they had Bridge Over Troubled on the lp and that too was a MASSIVE hit. so if you're going to do a cover, why not at least do one that is on your lp?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    couldn't agree more. or how about the Flip Wilson episode where they did the medley of SL and Time To Break. I don't really think the two songs worked well in a medley format. frankly they should have just done SL and then another tune from the album. maybe Time or maybe not. they ended up doing We've Only Just Begun and did it well. but other than that being a huge recent hit, why do that song? they had Bridge Over Troubled on the lp and that too was a MASSIVE hit. so if you're going to do a cover, why not at least do one that is on your lp?
    I'm not sure why the decision to merge "Stoned" and "Break", and agree that it was strange. However, I do enjoy hearing them do "Break" live, as it's one of my favs from the NW album. Might have made more sense to just do them separately. And "Bridge"- while I don't like the Supremes' version- makes total sense since it was huge and they covered it on their album. That would have been the smart move. [[Although, I absolutely love their versions of "We've Only Just Begun" and wish they had actually recorded it.)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not sure why the decision to merge "Stoned" and "Break", and agree that it was strange. However, I do enjoy hearing them do "Break" live, as it's one of my favs from the NW album. Might have made more sense to just do them separately. And "Bridge"- while I don't like the Supremes' version- makes total sense since it was huge and they covered it on their album. That would have been the smart move. [[Although, I absolutely love their versions of "We've Only Just Begun" and wish they had actually recorded it.)
    Time To Break is such a studio masterpiece that it was always going to be a struggle to replicate it live. but maybe it would have worked well at the midpoint of the show as the girls could have let the band and guitars really vamp for a while. they could depart the stage to do a fast costume change and then re-emerge. frankly there isn't all that much vocally to the song anyway