[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mono v Stereo

Mono v Stereo

With so much varied discussion over mono / stereo versions I thought I’d share the attached correspondence I had back in 1983 with Motown UK. I already had the live album from the 60’s in mono and bought the 80’s re-release in stereo. However, even on headphones it still sounded mono. You can see the response from the UK distributor. BTW I subsequently bought it again on CD in the fabulous Hip-O Select collection of 4 live revues where everything is much less muddy but still no stereo separation to my ears. I can’t believe Mike McLean would have simply placed his mics centre stage. And they digitally rechanneled the mono Paris concert into stereo, why not this? One of life’s mysteries.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow! Back when business cared enough to reply. That's a gem!

They can call it anything they want to call it but these were mono recordings. Even the Paris live set that was "channeled" into stereo sounds like nothing more than a reverb. I have equipment where I channel mono signals into simulated stereo. Most people who have listened thought it was true stereo. LOL

Up until around 1968, you WANT the mono version of most popular music. That includes the Beatles. This is because the production decisions were based on monitoring in mono.