Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
Mary says in both books that Diana appeared to forget the words and stopped singing. The accounts of the event differ in both books, the one in Supreme Faith seeming more accurate based on the footage available. But in both, Mary says that Diana stopped singing. Whatever the reasons Diana stopped, I think Mary did what she was supposed to do by picking it up, and then Mary B is right that Mary tries to toss the lead back when Diana joins in on the "whoo" part, and I suspect Diana might have picked back up, but by then she notices Smokey coming out on the stage and she introduces him. Mary continues to sing and the rest is history.

Mary was a professional, and it would seem to me that's the professional thing to do. Perhaps instead of rushing out to interrupt Adam Ant's performance, Diana should have been backstage running through the words of the song if she couldn't quite remember them all. That too would have been the professional thing to do.
I agree, and thank you. Regardless of whether Mary mentioned it in an book or press, anyone can CLEARLY see that Mary attempted to "hand back" the song to Diana. I think that hand gesture she makes is universal in any language, lol.

I also don't think for one second Mary Wilson went on that stage with the intent singing lead on SWBT. She MAY have wanted to upstage Diana in other aspects, hense the RED HOT dress, but taking over lead vocals, on purpose? No way.