[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Keeping the Supremes legacy alive? That's a joke, right?

no, it wasn’t intended to be. What are you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    no, it wasn’t intended to be. What are you thinking?
    My apologies if that wasn't the intention but yes it gave me a big laugh when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    My apologies if that wasn't the intention but yes it gave me a big laugh when I read that.

I don’t get it. What’s funny? She singing supreme songs to large audiences around the world. She talks about them. She shows pictures of them during the show… What more could she do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t get it. What’s funny? She singing supreme songs to large audiences around the world. She talks about them. She shows pictures of them during the show… What more could she do?
    Exactly. That’s keeping their legacy alive. I don’t get why that’s funny either.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Exactly. That’s keeping their legacy alive. I don’t get why that’s funny either.
    It’s just another one of those fan issues the subtleties of which no one else cares about.

I believe it revolves around Diana absenting herself from many Supremes events in favor of Mary and washing her hands of Mary over the last 20 years.

Lots of bandmates do it

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It’s just another one of those fan issues the subtleties of which no one else cares about.

I believe it revolves around Diana absenting herself from many Supremes events in favor of Mary and washing her hands of Mary over the last 20 years.

Lots of bandmates do it
    Why wouldn’t she wash her hands of Mary? She has every reason to want nothing to do with her. Mary has meant nothing but trouble and misery to her for decades and avoiding her was the smartest thing she could possibly do. I’m not getting into whose fault anything was, I don’t think it matters. if Diana wanted nothing to do with mary, that doesn’t necessarily mean she wanted nothing to do with The Supremes. mary wilson was not the Supremes. She was the one that held on the longest. She did her best to keep the group in the public eye, while keeping herself in the public eye at the same time. The gown, collection, and other things she did were wonderful, but nothing she did seem to make Miss Ross want to be with her in any way, shape or form evidently. I respect her decision immensely. I saw firsthand the behavior at the Motown musical opening. I fully believe Mary was looking for trouble Barging on stage uninvited and making a line all across the stage right for Miss Ross with her hand raised. She kissed her fingers and put the kiss on Miss Ross’s cheek. It didn’t look like that she was going to do. 30 seconds later Mary was standing in front of Miss Ross and had to be rescued by Berry. But it doesn’t matter. as the most famous, the focal point, the voice of every iconic hit and by far the most important supreme to the general public, her decision to keep her distance should be respected, and not interpreted as a diss to the Supremes. In my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well one of the few good things to come out of Return to Love was that Diana returned to performing Supremes songs in full with those excellent arrangements that were true to the original songs that were performed on that tour. Until RTL, the Supremes were relegated to a cheesey hurriedly performed medley that was done seemingly out of obligation. So from 1970 until 2000 she didn't do much musically to keep the Supremes legacy alive. The vapid, new agey and self absorbed Secrets of a Sparrow didn't do much to promote the Supremes legacy either.

Since RTL she does do a few Supremes songs in full rather than in medley format, and sometimes she will show pictures and video footage of the Supremes on a screen backdrop when she feels using a bit of technology for her show. So on that level, she's doing more than she did 30 years ago.

And while it's understandable given the friction between Mary and Diana why Diana never showed up at events honoring the Supremes while Mary was alive, Diana skipping that Grammy Hall of Fame ceremony for the Supremes last year was not good. She didn't even send one of her children to accept. And only posted about it a couple of months later on her social media. Things like that make me wonder if she's ashamed of the Supremes? Or maybe she's ashamed of how she behaved during that time period so doesn't care to look back on that era too often?

Finally, jobetrob stated that Diana washed her hands of Mary. But according to bradsupremes recently on a discussion about Mary's Supreme Glamour book that came out in 2019, Mary and Diana were emailing each other so there was apparently some sort of communication going on between them in the last years of Mary's life. That being said, Diana's public comments on her social media right after Mary died were not exactly warm, fuzzy and misty eyed. However last summer on her tour she did perform Missing You and mentioned Mary and Flo as people she was missing so who knows maybe she does mourn their passing, or maybe it's just a show business gesture from her. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Well one of the few good things to come out of Return to Love was that Diana returned to performing Supremes songs in full with those excellent arrangements that were true to the original songs that were performed on that tour. Until RTL, the Supremes were relegated to a cheesey hurriedly performed medley that was done seemingly out of obligation. So from 1970 until 2000 she didn't do much musically to keep the Supremes legacy alive. The vapid, new agey and self absorbed Secrets of a Sparrow didn't do much to promote the Supremes legacy either.

Since RTL she does do a few Supremes songs in full rather than in medley format, and sometimes she will show pictures and video footage of the Supremes on a screen backdrop when she feels using a bit of technology for her show. So on that level, she's doing more than she did 30 years ago.

And while it's understandable given the friction between Mary and Diana why Diana never showed up at events honoring the Supremes while Mary was alive, Diana skipping that Grammy Hall of Fame ceremony for the Supremes last year was not good. She didn't even send one of her children to accept. And only posted about it a couple of months later on her social media. Things like that make me wonder if she's ashamed of the Supremes? Or maybe she's ashamed of how she behaved during that time period so doesn't care to look back on that era too often?

Finally, jobetrob stated that Diana washed her hands of Mary. But according to bradsupremes recently on a discussion about Mary's Supreme Glamour book that came out in 2019, Mary and Diana were emailing each other so there was apparently some sort of communication going on between them in the last years of Mary's life. That being said, Diana's public comments on her social media right after Mary died were not exactly warm, fuzzy and misty eyed. However last summer on her tour she did perform Missing You and mentioned Mary and Flo as people she was missing so who knows maybe she does mourn their passing, or maybe it's just a show business gesture from her. Who knows?
    A good summary of things as they stand.

You said it all there!

the last time I saw Diane alive she did six supreme songs in full. She has a 60 year career to draw from, any number of supreme songs is understandable. Her very first solo act included the usual hits medley from the 60s plus reflections, the happening, and someday will be together.
    I have never bought into the baloney. Mary was riding in supreme Faith about diana and Berry. Trying to erase the fact The Supremes ever existed. Her TV specials in 77, 81, and Central Park all featured a sizable chunk of Supremes music. She certainly could’ve done more, and I wish she would’ve done more, but her popularity grew and grew throughout the 70s and she continued to sell out areas in the 80s so she was giving the public what they wanted. Touch me in the morning was out for quite a while love hangover was out for quite a while, I’m coming out, was out for quite a while. It’s my turn, remember me, those were more relevant songs that were not in the act. For a while she was only doing One supreme song and it certainly did seem obligatory.

both mary and Rosses books did little to benefit The Supremes Legacy. If anything, Mary’s books were detrimental because now the group is associated with turmoil. Luckily that’s dying down finally.

I think if Diana really wanted to erase The Supremes from her career memory, she would just do it. She’s willful and stubborn and single-minded in many cases and I don’t think that if she felt that way, anything would keep her from acting on it.

as far as the Grammy goes, it could be that the passing of Mary does not erase the caution or reason for avoidance for the rest of her group. JD, Schwartz, Mark Bego and Turquesa, all have interesting post, Mary agendas. All that in fighting over the release of Mary’s anthology, the lawsuits and changing credits, and all that la la indicates to me, along with those missing at mary’s funeral, that it is not all peace and contentment in that camp. If that is the case, well, I know, for a fact it is the case, but if it is apparent to some that the Schwartzes and the Bego, still have nothing but disdain for Miss Ross, she may have chosen to stay away for that reason.
    Even while mary was alive, there was a lot of revisionism going on in The Supremes legacy coming from their camp. The lynda laurence saga alone is proof of that. The text of The Supremes magazine…… And who knows what Turquessa says is thinking while publicly proclaiming there was never any trouble between mary and diana. as Scarlet said, after the intermission, with admiration, “what a cool liar you are, Melly.” There was an awful lot of agenda built into some of that, keeping the legacy alive, Miss Ross knows it, and might have thought, “Noooooooooooooooo, thank you.” if that’s the case, and I believe it is, I don’t blame her at all.

bottom line, diana, ross, and The Flos are still perpetuating “the legacy “such as it is. And in a more positive way, than some sometimes.