[REMOVE ADS]

Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love

Reading through an old thread from years ago, I saw my critique of "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love":

Smokey on "Wonderful" is what always turned me off. But I think the song didn't go as far as it could've because the track itself needed punching up. It's a song that had the potential to blare from radios like crazy, but it sounds as if it's held back somehow. "Floy Joy" and "Automatically" worked because it held a "less is more" vibe. "Wonderful" doesn't work because it sort of moves in the same way when it really shouldn't.

I like looking back at old threads and seeing how my opinion has changed- if at all- about any given thing. Reading this, I still hold the same opinion. Remove Smokey, add some more sound, pick up the pace and maybe it's a winner.

Thoughts?

Also, ever notice how the very beginning sounds eerily similar to Kim Weston's "Thrill A Moment"?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Also, ever notice how the very beginning sounds eerily similar to Kim Weston's "Thrill A Moment"?
    Here’s the link to Kim Weston’s version of “Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love.” A little punchier, no? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sokhUiLNHE
    Last edited by mowest; 02-29-2024 at 02:46 PM.

there is a version of Youtube with them in short white outfits and they're cute. It's a faster version and they seem to really enjoy the song. This is the first time that I actually realized it was Linda performing. The other TV version had too many feathers and seemed dated to me....this was fresh and young. [[sorry I can't provide the link)

Oh dear now we have to add "Smokey" to the already long list of singers that served as "Supremes" vocalists....

I guess his singing on it was his idea of punching it up ? What happens at 1:45?? Smokey's sweet [is it Smokey?] sounds "spitty"...

--- listening again most of his sweets are spitty but the one at 1:45 is the juiciest ...
    maybe he was hungry and eating an orange
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-29-2024 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    there is a version of Youtube with them in short white outfits and they're cute. It's a faster version and they seem to really enjoy the song. This is the first time that I actually realized it was Linda performing. The other TV version had too many feathers and seemed dated to me....this was fresh and young. [[sorry I can't provide the link)

Love this one and always have. Love the live version they did on Flip even more. Smokey's voice doesn't bother me as much. I'm surprised it didn't chart higher.

I initially drafted a long post about how early 1970s Motown arrangements and mixing didn't really work for my ears but, to cut a long story short, YWSSL has an arrangement that has too many stops and starts, and that therefore regularly loses its energy mid-track. That might be what limited its success.

Freda Payne's "Band Of Gold" nearly went that way until HDH realised what was happening and chopped out all of the tempo changes to create the driving track that topped the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks Reese for posting the youtube video

I always found it interesting that Motown released a third single from the Floy Joy LP especially when it only released one from NWBLS and one from High Energy. I also always found it interesting that the first 2 singles from Floy Joy were shared leads of Mary & Jean especially after Touch did not chart well. I think Randy wrote about how Mary's voice was most unfamiliar to the record buying public. Still, they quickly rebounded with a top 20 and top 40 both with Mary sharing the lead. YWSSL was more upbeat and typical of a Supremes sound and yet it sounded clunky and outdated. It seemed disjointed and didn't really go anywhere. Plus it was performed on television a decent amount especially since Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine did better without television exposure. Do you think Jean asked for a single with no Mary? It is strange there was a third single. I know many have written that Jean was difficult and Motown was never really behind Mary's voice but Frank wrote Touch for Mary and Smokey wrote Floy Joy with Mary in mind.
    Still I have to say that YWSSL was decent enough but never really grabbed me as their other recordings did. I know the sound had changed but it was starting to move to a completely different sound with YWSSL and culminated in IGIMTM and Bad Weather, both decent songs but ones that should not have been released as singles since none went anywhere and did nothing for the legacy.

personally i didnt mind Mary singing leads and found it to be a nice change of pace.
    i think the songs that missed were when the group was out of sight. did they ever perform Automatically Sunshine on tv?
    saw them do Floy Joy once in Dec on Merv 1972 and then again , not until 1973 , a year after. a few more tv spots the group could have pushed these songs higher. both songs did well in UK.
    Automatically Sunshine hit again in the 80s when used in a laundry detergent commerical resulting in the Love Supreme collection.
    i think the mix is wrong here , it's like trying to take off but doesn't.. i always liked the song but found the live version better ,...faster...
    has a nice beat and needed a new dance mix, this could have taken off.

Jim--I think Randy was way off when he blamed the failure of Touch on the public being "unused to Mary's voice." I only knew the 70's Supremes as a kid, and I couldn't have told you a Mary lead from a Scherrie. Don't say anything evil. People were "unused" to Jean's voice too when she came onboard. I don't know what happened to Touch, I still love it, but I don't think Mary's voice was the problem

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    So much YES to this post. The first broadcast, in the Tropical Lilac gowns with feather boas is such a step back to the DRATS days. While the gowns are new, the look is dated. It's a "funky" song/sound but costuming is everything. Floor length evening wear just isn't the right fit.

The second, sped up appearance, is much more in style and right on. Could Lynda shake those titties any more? Lol. Sequins and bugle beads were flying, honey! I wonder if this version had been released if it would have fated better? And I wonder how long after the songs release was this appearance? Was it too late by then to have done anything on the charts?

It's a nice song, a good lp cut but NOT a single.

I was perplexed that Motown threw this out there as well. Probably because they didn't have anything else to issue as a single. Live, the song works better but is still not a single to my ears.

In fact the last three singles with Jean were all throwaways for me. Jean didn't sound good on the Bad Weather single, but on tv and in concert she killed it.

From Sonny & Cher Show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wmceb_...ZXQgbG92ZSA%3D

The choreography by Mary and Lynda is way too busy for Jean’s mid-tempo lead vocal. While it worked very well for the faster version on the Flip Wilson Show it is jarring here.

Did they lip-sync to the record when originally broadcast or was the recording later added to the video by the YouTube poster ?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    In fact the last three singles with Jean were all throwaways for me. Jean didn't sound good on the Bad Weather single, but on tv and in concert she killed it.
    Yes! Her vocal isn't bad on the single, just too laid back for the track. But when they did the song on Soul Train and then the Bob Hope Special - WOAH! Jean soars. I would love to hear the mix they used on Soul Train. If you notice, the track is different from the single and the piano is hot in the mix. I think if they used that track and Jean's delivery was the same as the performance on Soul Train, it would have fared much better on the charts.

Brad,
    Thank you for pointing out the difference in the Bad Weather performance.
    Had to go and have a listen and really prefer this version. It seems a bit faster here as I think the 45 seems to drag...imo.
    And Mary and Lynda are really good here as well. Great line up.good harmony.

I wonder if they considered calling it YOUR WONDERFUL SCHWEET SCHWEET LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    So much YES to this post. The first broadcast, in the Tropical Lilac gowns with feather boas is such a step back to the DRATS days. While the gowns are new, the look is dated. It's a "funky" song/sound but costuming is everything. Floor length evening wear just isn't the right fit.

The second, sped up appearance, is much more in style and right on. Could Lynda shake those titties any more? Lol. Sequins and bugle beads were flying, honey! I wonder if this version had been released if it would have fated better? And I wonder how long after the songs release was this appearance? Was it too late by then to have done anything on the charts?
    Mary, YWSSL was released on July 11, 1972, and that awesome uptempo version of YWSSL was AIRED on October 5, 1972, which means they likely taped the episode of Flip sometime in August or September '72. It would've likely been a little too late to go back and recut and re-release the single--especially considering the Supremes were slipping on the charts all through '72 and Motown was caring less and less about their success.

I always liked the studio version of YWSSL--probably more than Automatically Sunshine which, to me, inexplicably charted higher Pop & R&B than YWSSL. I think YWSSL has that funk that makes it danceable. Not sure AS has that same funky danceability.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I always liked the studio version of YWSSL--probably more than Automatically Sunshine which, to me, inexplicably charted higher Pop & R&B than YWSSL. I think YWSSL has that funk that makes it danceable. Not sure AS has that same funky danceability.
    I agree. Even though there are things I wish were different about "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" which could have helped its charting, I always felt it was a better song than "Automatically Sunshine." I've wondered if it was issued as the second single if it would have charted better. I've never been a fan of "Automatically Sunshine" and never felt it was worthy of a single despite it charting top 10 in the UK and going top 40 in the US. It always gives me a kind of dirge feel to it. If there was to be a third single from the album, I would have swapped out "Automatically Sunshine" for "Over and Over" or "Oh Be My Love."

Loved Automatically Sunshine, one of my favorites,.....
    I also like Over and Over,...
    Only one I didn't care for was O Be My Love

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Loved Automatically Sunshine, one of my favorites,.....
    I also like Over and Over,...
    Only one I didn't care for was O Be My Love
    I also really like “Automatically Sunshine” which I think the natural followup to “Floy Joy”.
    ”YWSSL” is a pleasant enough song that for me always sounded a solid album track as opposed to single. Perhaps another shared lead might have lent it more distinction..

I would have liked to hear more from Cindy B , but with her leaving to have a baby, I wonder if they decided not to use her.
    They had good harmony, and later with Lynda, good trio..
    Think they were still supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yes! Her vocal isn't bad on the single, just too laid back for the track. But when they did the song on Soul Train and then the Bob Hope Special - WOAH! Jean soars. I would love to hear the mix they used on Soul Train. If you notice, the track is different from the single and the piano is hot in the mix. I think if they used that track and Jean's delivery was the same as the performance on Soul Train, it would have fared much better on the charts.
    I totally agree. She just didn't sound like Jean on the 45 rpm. Now on Soul Train, she came alive. The backing track is different because Soul Train, for whatever reason, only played one channel of a stereo mix. If you listen to Early Morning Love with Scherrie, the violins are far more pronounced because of this. And yes, on Bob Hope, Jean was Jean. The instrumental mix was exactly like the single including Mary and Lynda's backing vocals.

In one interview many years ago, Mary said one of the reasons the song failed was because Jean and Lynda didn't like it. That was totally not true. Both of them loved it and Jean was so unnerved by Motown's lack of support and it cemented her decision to leave.

Most of the fans loved it, but it was not unanimous like previous singles. I was disappointed in the Jimmy Webb lp and the Bad Weather single. It wasn't until Soul Train aired that I liked it

I agree with you that Smokey's voice on YWSSL is jarring and out of place. and being on the chorus, it really overpowers the Supremes and so the song doesn't come across as a "supremes song" IMO. I think doing an actual duet between Smokey and the Sups on the FJ album would have been sensational but not done as it was on YWSSL.

and someone brought up the abrupt tempo changes and too many starts/stop and ups/downs with this song. that's an interesting point and perhaps makes it more of a challenge to be a successful single release. as people have stated, YWSSL was a good album track but this might be why it just didn't click as much as a single

there's a fan recording of the girls performing a Valley Forge PA while on tour with the temps. after the combined groups did TCB and some intro stuff i think the Temps took the stage. then they introduce "The Supremes" and the guitars start playing an extended intro to YWSSL as the girls enter the stage. it was a fun opener and worked well. the tempo was brisk and there was a lot of energy in the performance.

Thanks for the responses gang! I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on the music.

It's not so easy to sing along to YWSSL as , say, "Automatically Sunshine".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It's not so easy to sing along to YWSSL as , say, "Automatically Sunshine".
    that's a good point too - and the stars/stops add to the challenge of singing along. and Berry always said if a song is something you can easily whistle, it'll help it sell.

I think that's a problem with Bad Weather too.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that's a good point too - and the stars/stops add to the challenge of singing along. and Berry always said if a song is something you can easily whistle, it'll help it sell.

I think that's a problem with Bad Weather too.
    Excellent point. None of Jean's last three singles had memorable hooks

Here in Philly combined with the fact that I wasn’t old enough to go clubs, I would catch the Supremes on tv to find out what was released. A lot of songs people write about, I don’t remember hearing on the radio. YWSSL was one I remember hearing. I thought the song was hot. My friends? Not so much. lol I would cram the singles I liked down their throats. Coming to my house to play was done with a backdrop of music. PS. I LOVED Bad Weather! I thought it was perfect for dancing. I think the bump was out when it was released. Don’t quote me on that one though.

Does anyone else hear a man singing in the backgrounds on this? And I'm not referring to Smokey's synthesized vocal. I hear it on the "oh yeah"s during the verses and on the chorus. It sounds like Mary, Cindy and a man.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Does anyone else hear a man singing in the backgrounds on this? And I'm not referring to Smokey's synthesized vocal. I hear it on the "oh yeah"s during the verses and on the chorus. It sounds like Mary, Cindy and a man.
    Yes, I hear it. Could be Smokey singing with them in a deeper tone.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    yes i believe it is Smokey but perhaps pulled a little back further into the mix than his "oh yeah's" and all

that's also why it was a mistake to include him on the song. if it was ONLY the ad libs, maybe it would have worked. but still it's odd. having him singing the chorus just further removes the song from a "supremes' sound"

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes, I hear it. Could be Smokey singing with them in a deeper tone.
    Or it might have been Jackie Hicks of the Andantes. I believe she was the low voice in that group.

One thought is: back in the heyday of the Supremes, HDH were writing songs specifically for the group, tailored to Diana's lead and [[in most cases) Mary and Flo's backing.

With YWSSL, Smokey just dusted off a 6 year old track. Were FLOY JOY and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE written for Jean?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One thought is: back in the heyday of the Supremes, HDH were writing songs specifically for the group, tailored to Diana's lead and [[in most cases) Mary and Flo's backing.

With YWSSL, Smokey just dusted off a 6 year old track. Were FLOY JOY and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE written for Jean?
    yes i believe both were new tunes.

A heart like mine was dusted off too.

On Page 60 of Supreme Faith, Mary said that Smokey told her that he had written Floy Joy with Mary in mind. She said it was a kindness she would never forget and that he led her through her lead lines. That and Automatically Sunshine were new. YWSSL had been recorded before as had A Heart Like Mine. The end result on both showed Smokey should have done some changes and improvements on them. We have discussed YWSSL and why it didn't do as well. A Heart Like Mine was right up Mary's alley and she does well caressing the lyrics but if he led her on Floy Joy the production on Heart seemed lackluster. Just a few years later, her vocals caress the sound of Don't Let My Teardrops but she is backed with a much more engaged sound that helps bring out vocals far more engaged in the lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yes i believe both were new tunes.

A heart like mine was dusted off too.
    OH BE MY LOVE was also a remake, having previously been done by Smokey and the Miracles.

I'll just chime in here to mention that I really like "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love." It's a rather simplistic, 'funky', song and the addition of Smokey's old-timey mic/eq'ed sound added a unique flair to the song [[just as the phased sound effect of 'Nathan Jones' added to that single). There's nothing I don't like about the song; however, just as many singles were performed rather frantically, this too was way too fast when they performed it on the Flip Wilson Show. I will say; however, they sure did move rather well and looked good.