[REMOVE ADS]

Who bought what? Demographics on Motown's record buyers?

Was there any attempt at tracking done as to which Motown artists sold to who??
    Who [age, sex, etc.] was buying Supremes records as opposed to who was buying Four Tops? Was there a big difference?
    How about Marvin Gaye of the 60's vs. Marvin Gaye of the 70's? The same question concerning Stevie Wonder.....

What crowd bought INDIANA WANTS ME by R Dean Taylor? ... HERE COMES THE JUDGE by Shorty Long?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-02-2024 at 05:06 PM.

Of course there are all types of buyers. I'm sure there was a contingency that bought a record just because it said Motown on the label. But that would be an expensive approach as Motown put out a lot of product.

And then there were those that specifically bought into a specific group ....fans of say The Temptations or Martha Reeves.

And then all the sales that took place because the listener liked that one particular record ...regardless of who the artist was.

I'm sure there were, but I'm wondering to what degree say a Miracles fan would buy a Stevie record? Was there a tendency to align to ones favorite such that a Temptations fan would not be interested in a Supremes record??
    There was a fundamental underlying sound to Motown that would allow for a fan to like a variety of Motown acts.
    I guess there's really no way of knowing ...my guess is that a preponderance of sales was based on individual releases, the buyer liking that exact song.

Surely just seeing the Motown label often helped seal the deal.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-03-2024 at 01:47 PM.

Boogie, if a saw a new Motown release on ANY of the Motown labels, I bought it. As a completist, how could I not? It wasn't always easy, but it sure was fun!