[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye Misprint Question

I was listing some items on Discogs when I came across something odd on a Marvin collection. The CD is entitled Every Great Motown Hit and the cover shows a smiling Marvin in a red jacket. The catalog number is Motown 3746360582.

Here is my question. One one of the spines, it reads: Motown Marvin Gaye-Every Great Motown Hit, followed by the above catalog number. However the catalog number is printed upside down.

On the other spine, everything is right side up but in that case, the catalog number comes first, then his name, then the CD title, and finally the word Motown.

What if anything do you guys know about this? I am sure some of you have your own copies so how does this compare to yours? Any chance this could be more valuable because of the misprint?

Personally I would have not bothered with that CD. I already have any and all CD's but the one you refer, it looks like they have stuck Marvins' head on someone else's body on the cover front. [maybe it's my eyes].

There are 37 Discogs copies of that CD starting from £0.70 & median price £1.50.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 02-26-2024 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Personally I would have not bothered with that CD. I already have any and all CD's but the one you refer, it looks like they have stuck Marvins' head on someone else's body on the cover front. [maybe it's my eyes].

There are 37 Discogs copies of that CD starting from £0.70 & median price £1.50.
    Oh as we say here in the US "pennies make dollars" so you would be surprised at how many people will find just one cheap item they want on Discogs and pay five times the purchase price to have it shipped to them. I have never studied this, but I would suspect that 50-60% of my sales are items that I listed for a dollar. But then the big sales come along once in a while to add to the excitement.

I would agree that this lp is not representative of Gaye's full body of work. It omits Sexual Healing for example.

Motown issued this album, hurriedly apparently, shortly before his death and to take advantage of his resurgence on CBS records. They even slipped in the mono mix of That's The Way Love Is.

After his murder this title and several others were rush-released and all charted decently so that Motown made a small fortune on his carcass.

I think the two disk Very Best Of Marvin Gaye CD is more exemplary of his incredible body of work